don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
  2. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Agreed, from what I've heard they might do an Episode IV and then make Sonic 5. Though I didn't like the fact that the game is Episodic, Sonic 4 is turning out pretty well. Though once Sonic 4 is done with, I would perfer if they released a "Complete Version" of the game, with a consistant game engine, extra content, and a remixed soundtrack. I think if they were to do that, Sonic 4 can reach it's full potental and live up to it's name, if that's the case then such a version better be free to the people who bought all the other episodes in the game.

3. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    A while back, SEGA said something about Sonic 4 Episode II having two bonus/extra levels on certain platforms, and I haven't heard anything about that since. Did anyone dig up and showcase those levels? Or was the extra levels thing a scrapped idea?

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
  5. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Why does this "Lite" version even exist? It would have made sense as a released demo of the game before it came out. I can't tell from the page, but this is free, right? I'm disgusted that SC1 and Special Stage 2 alone take up 99MB...DAMN

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Someone made a MIDI For Sylvania Castle Act 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLiKWtYB3vA

Time to go to work.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Yes, please work your magic. That one is a bit of a hurting on the ears.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Meanwhile in the land of the Sky Fortress.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsudJkPlxGw[/youtube]
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu98WnRi_Q[/youtube]
    What do you think?

10. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Eh, they lack something, if not the voices don't work for the song at all. Try mimicking Flying Battery Zone's voices.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uOhKUr6jcI

13. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Is it possible to go through the levels without going to the map without deleting your data.?

And another thing: How the hell do you delete your save in the 360 version :psyduck:

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    ...You select Sylvania Castle 1 and hit Y when you complete the stage?

15. Full Metal Sonic

Full Metal Sonic

So...Sonic 4.

Since I don't wanna necropost in the Ep. I thread, and I don't want to start a "Sonic 4 is underrated" topic as it may just be merged with this one, so I'll just post my thoughts here.

I like this game (or games as it were). I find it FUN. You know what fun is right? It's not worrying about the color of Sonic's eyes, or that it plays differently than the oh-so flawless "classics," or that you have the homing attack.

And that's the problem; this was paraded around as a sequel to the classic games. But to truly enjoy it, I think you have to drop that notion and instead, embrace it for what it is. Sonic 4, despite everything that's been said, is it's own game. It has it's own set of rules, it's own mechanics, and it's own identity.

If you compare it to the classics, obviously it falls short/does things differently in many ways.

-The spin dash is nerfed, and in Ep. I you uncurl A LOT. Rolling down hills is also sort of pointless.
    -Sonic can move up slopes with little momentum.
    -There are a few too many speed boosters and springs.
    -The speedcap is set a bit lower, meaning that even running down hills, Sonic will stop gaining speed after he hits a certain benchmark.
    -The homing attack itself changes a lot. You can now attack enemies quicker and with less effort. Homing attack chains aren't hard to find, nor are they very interesting.
    -Bouncing on enemies from a great height no longer sends you flying back up.
    -Boss battles are rehashes from the older games.
    -Enemy placement can be a bit cheap (F****ing slicers!).
    -Episode Metal is just a reskinned Sonic going backwards through the levels (though it IS free, and I did enjoy it)

Etc, etc.

But if you judge it on it's own merits, and what it does right (which is hard for a lot of people to do, I know), then you can see it isnt so bad.
    -It's a 2-D sidescroller.
    -The "speedy platforming" core is there.
    -Special stages are back, and wonderfully recreated.
    -The music has a very old school, Genesis tone to them, despite the limited instruments.
    -You can retry a stage at any time (even special stages).
    -1up's are very easy to get, so you almost never have to worry about getting continues or losing progress.
    -The stage selection makes it so you don't have to beat Splash Hill or Sylvania Castle several times just to play a later level.
    -Tails is back!
    -The tag-action in Ep. II is very handy, and fun.
    -Brand new bosses in Ep. II.
    -Metal Sonic is back as well! And he gets his own Episode (for free) if you bought both Ep. I and II.
    -You can play as Super Sonic again, and with his physics-breaking physics intact (Generations, I am disappoint).
    -Ep. II has co-op multiplayer.

Etc, etc.

What I'm trying to say is this; Sonic 4 (both episodes) is highly underrated. In fact, I find more fun than the classic games!

Yes, I'm not trolling. That is honestly how I feel.

I have had more fun with Sonic 4 Ep. I than I ever have with, say, Sonic CD (the absolute definition of overrated IMO). Ep. II was just icing on the cake.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want when I'm in the mood for a 2-D Sonic game (for 3-D I play SA1 or Generations). No, I'm not saying this is how all future 2-D games should be. I'm just saying that, in the end, I don't mind. Sonic 4 is fun to play, and that's all I care about.

It's funny though; my disconnect to the classic games is probably the very same reason I enjoy Sonic 4 so much.

Strange, isnt it?

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    So...I assume this game and it's episodic predecessor as still virtually impossible to hack?

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Actually...

Yeah, only the music side is hackable. The rest of the game is a pain in the ass to hack.

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Anything is HACKABLE, it's just that no one's really taken time to figure out how the game ticks like Generations because why would anyone want to hack Sonic 4 when they could hack Generations or the Genesis games (or hell, even Adventure DX).

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    To make the game more like the Sonic 4 we envisioned, including tweaking the graphics and physics to better play to the expectations set up by the 4 in the title?