don't click here

Sonic 2 8-bit kinda sucks

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blastfrog, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that it's a poorly designed game. Most of the level designs feel pretty short and uninteresting, the other 8-bit games managed to have more interactive level designs. Many of the bosses were really simple and boring designs. For example, the ALZ boss. It does nothing but blows a balloon up for you to pop in its face, and it just stands there doing this the entire time, never attacking you. The SHZ boss just moves back and forth, shooting pseudo-homing projectiles. The GHZ boss moves back and forth quickly. The UGZ boss just sits there taking damage while you dodge the marbles coming down.

Also, the physics suck. I understand that it's less capable than the Genesis, but they could've done better, as this has more to do with tweaks than radical function changes. The acceleration and friction is twice as fast as the 16-bit games, and deceleration is 2.5 times slower. Also, horizontal velocity is not affected by jumping on slopes, and there's friction in midair.

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I was kinda thinking about this recently. I have played them all on my Adventure DX and Gems collection anyway, but I just bought a MS Converter for my Mega Drive I and I bought Sonic the Hedgehog for it ratehr than opting for Sonic 2 because it's just poorly made. Everything's a death trap, it's unforgiving, but it's also ininteresting. Enemies aren't as fun to battle and the whole thing is a chore to play and find your way around, especially in later levels.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Agreed. When I was little I was left wondering why Sonic 2 got wrong so many things that Sonic 1 had gotten right, in difficulty balance, boss fights, sound department (the jumping sound in Sonic 1 was almost identical to the Mega Drive sound) and overall prettyness.

Now I see that they probably should have let Ancient handle it rather than Aspect. Loved Sonic Chaos, though.

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    This about sums up Sonic 2 for GG.

[​IMG]

And this I guess:

[​IMG]

I agree that S2 GG was IMO probably one of the worst of the classic, 'main' games - with some pretty dull, frustrating levels.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    8-bit Sonic 2 is brilliant, decent challenge, loved the art direction and the tunes (Crystal Egg music sucked in my mind) and the final boss is one of the best boss battles out of all the classic boss battles. The only criticism I have for it is that it's shouldn't be played on the Game Gear as it was designed for the Master System with that resolution in mind.

6. Tanks

Tanks

Pretty sure there's a hack out there that makes Sonic 2 8-bit a decent game to play. But christ, I have to agree, the vanilla version is playing underground zone 10x over until you develop reflexes ala megaman to keep going.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I prefer the SMS game over MD game

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's pretty much impossible on the Game Gear. But you would never play the Game Gear version in this day and age.

Sonic 2 on the Master System is a lovely game. The best music of the 8-bit series, the most iconic, and a nice breath of fresh air from the established norm of GREEN ZONE FIRST. When things go underwater life gets tedious, but such is the case with many early Sonic games. Sonic Chaos offers no real challenge at all.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Sonic 2 for master System is my favourite game ever. The zone are beautiful, the music is heaven like, the bosses are original, silver sonic is SO BADASS and the battle against him is the best battle I've ever played in a sonic game, the vehicle gimmick works very well and I love it for it's originality...

I love it very much

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    To me Sonic 2 8-bit is like if Sonic 2 on the genesis had a baby with an 8-bit Mega Man game. It's challenging and frustrating but not necessarily bad, in my mind. It took me many years to beat Sonic 2 8-bit, and it felt like a huge accomplishment when I did so. I do see what you mean, the game does feel a bit rushed. Hell, it probably was to meet the holiday season; I don't really hold it against it.

I do agree that the other 8-bit games are definitely better, though.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's what really annoyed me about Sonic Chaos all those years back when I got it. Also the change in art style made it look like it was done on a real cheap budget.

12. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yeah, some of the 8-bit games really suck. People like to pretend Sonic was perfect back then, but in truth there were only about 4 good games and a TON of bad side games... and some half-decent 8 bit ones, but just as many bad 8 bit ones.

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    To me..

Sonic 1 8 Bits--> Very Good Game
    Sonic 2 8 bits--> Very Good Game
    Sonic Chaos---> half good game
    Sonic Triple Trouble--> good game

Sonic Labyrinth--->Half good game
    Sonic Blast---> Bad game

Sonic drift---> half good game
    Sonic Drift racing---> good game
    Sonic Spinball---> decent game
    Mean Bean Machine--> Decent game

Tails Skypatrol----> bad game
    Tails Adventures---> Very good game

14. Bostwick

Bostwick

I still say they should attempt to revive Tails Adventure. The original game isn't perfect, but it's definitely got a hell of a foundation for a Sonic Metroidvania/Tails solo game. I can even see them attempt it in 3D.

15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Speaking of Tails Adventure, I thought it was awesome, and it'd be pretty neat to see it remade as a MD game. Another thing I forgot to mention about S2 8-bit was the engine felt pretty sloppy. Like if you walked to the edge of the screen, you'd kinda jitter around, and the camera seemed to sync every 2 frames instead of one, so whatever it was trying to center on looked like it was jittering back and forth by one pixel, it was a very annoying effect.

Still, it had great potential, and it's music was kickass. I've been fooling around with a disassembly, trying to make the controls a little better, dunno if it'll get anywhere, though.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Personally I like the game, though yes the GG version is a pain in the ass. However, the first boss is pretty boring since you're only dodging a bomb... I think the levels are too short, and I was in the process of making them longer then I lost the source code to Sonic 2 Remixed, and never really worked on it again. :\ Other than that it's still an enjoyable game. :)

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Hey look, it's the lost badnik from the Sonic CD ending.

This is as far as I ever got in the game. :(

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fuck all the haters, Sonic Chaos is my favourite 8-bit Sonic. :colbert:

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    My opinion on Sonic 2 8-bit is that it makes a terrible first impression. I really do believe this makes all the difference in the world. Both Sonic Team and Shigeru Miyamoto have spoken at length about the importance of starting strong, and I believe that Underground Zone is actually the most boring, weakest zone in the game, with Sky High Zone being the next most boring.

Had the game began with Green Hills Zone, I think a lot of the perception about the game would have changed. Past the first two zones, the game is ace IMO, especially on the Sega Master System. It's really not that different from the first game. Those first two zones are just garbage.

20. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Sonic 2 8 bit is meh until the last level, then it is shit.

I want to be able to pass a level via skill, not a fucking crapshoot and learning levels.

fuck you sonic 2.