don't click here

Sega Nomad gets power from batteries but not from AC

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Harmony Friends, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    My friend has a Sega Nomad he is willing to sell me, but the unit doesn't seem to recieve power from an AC adaptor. However, it works fine with batteries.

I've read that the Nomad's voltage regulator getting blown is a reasonably common problem, but I don't know if that would also prevent the system from booting up with batteries.

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is that is the problem reasonably easily fixable, or would I be better off finding a nomad elsewhere and spending upwards of $30-40 more?

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    HAVE YOU TRIED DOING A HARD RESET?

TRUST ME MAN, I'm A TECH MEMBER, AND A TECHNICIAN AT A LARGE CELLULAR COMPANY. I KNOW MY SHIT BRO.

3. He's not dead yet, Jim. Get out of the scene. =P

Hi, I have seen this problem on many portables. It gets caused by people using universal Power bricks and set the voltage too high.

There is very probably a small SMD fuse inside the machine that got blown in the process. For experienced technicians a 2-minute fix, for unexperienced people unfortunately virtually unfixable.

TmEE hs more info probably.

Cheers
    Eric

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The middle pin of DC input conector has likely come loose.

Battery goes through the DC connector too so when you can power thing on it means no component is fried. When you plug in the brick then battery gets disconnected.

5. Okay, I was wrong. Shit :P

6. gummyworm

gummyworm

if it's any consolation - that IS a very common problem :D

happened with my generic SNES power adapter - I remember the voltage being WAAAY off, poor snes didn't last 20 minutes :(

7. That must have been a strong ass fluctuation there.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, but the SNES can work with a lot higher voltage than the rated one, at leat the european version =P

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

That's a relief. Is it possible to re-fasten it or will I need to replace the jack? I'd assume the latter, but just checking.

It's not a big deal if I have to replace the jack, but if I do, does anyone know what the criteria for a suitable replacement is and/or where I can get one? I'd assume any old power jack of the same size would work, but I'm not terribly experienced on such matters. (I know a lot of people who can get it done for me if I bring them the part.)

Also, while I'm at it, the screen's plastic covering has several scuffs and scratches, and while they're not TERRIBLY noticeable in gameplay, it can be a bit annoying. Do any of you have experience with buffing/polishing scratches out of the Nomad?

9. Uh. I'm sorry, I don't know any electronics stores there.

10. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

All we have in place is a crappy Radio Shack. I'd prefer to just order online.

11. Okay, that tells me you're in USA. I suggest mouser electronics.

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

Right, I would have likely used them anyway. I'm sorry for not being specific I didn't mean "where can I find a store that sells the part I need", I meant "where can I find the part I need in a labyrinth that is an online component shop". I'm not sure what the measurements for the MK-2103 cable are so I don't know what jack to get.

13. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You only got to touch the pins with soldering iron and the problem is fixed, there is no need for new connector or such.