don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Got some small stuff to report, though its possible you fixed it since the last revision. I wont post everything, since I will recheck it with the newest revision.

In GHZ Act 2, Go down the bottom path near the exit, instead of going into the tunnel to take the exit. There is a Neutron that appears. Something weird happens here. If you let him appear without going to the left of him, he will act normal. If you quickly run past him though, he will change colors to the green Neutron before deploying... otherwise retaining the same old behavior. I have not seen this with any other Neutron in any other GHZ act... I got a screengrab and savestate stored if you cannot replicate it.

There is still a bug with the lightning shield in Labyrinth Zone boss, though I have a good hunch as to what the problem is. I had all 3 characters, and was Sonic. Tails was above water with me, and Knuckles was underwater below. Everyone had water shields, except Sonic. I got the lightning shield, and Sonic got the lightning shield, while Tails was left with nothing. If you cant replicate this, I can get the savestate to you, along with a screen grab. I was extra careful to store this stuff this time.

I'll check everything I found in the new release before posting anymore. AND I tried to replicate the bug with the ALL Sol Emeralds screen. No such luck, though I had all 3 characters this time, and was on a different build. I'll keep trying to replicate it, but it turns out I accidentally had overwritten the previous savestate that had the bug.

2. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I will tweak a few more things before a new build, but I just want to say that I fixed these bugs (graphical issues in transition, EHZ is the starting level on S2-only mode, blue tint in CNZ big ring).

@TheInvisibleSun: You never watched any of the S1->S2 transition preview videos, have you? And you never played it either, right? Because if either of these had happened, you would have seen where the S3&K end boss song is played. As for the Doomsday song, it isn't used... yet.

This is an issue with the split palette code. I need to see if it is in CollinC10's code or if it is in the changes I made.

I am pretty sure this one is fixed in the latest build, but I will check.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    It could be. As I said I hadn't tried this with the newest release yet... still havent in fact. Will get to that soon.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Oh wow, I forgot that it was there somehow. (And I've seen that scene three times, including two play-throughs!). Maybe I had my headphones out when it was playing?

Anyway, I really love this hack! Especially moments where I can fly up with Tails, switch to Knuckles and glide-bounce off of things from insane heights.

5. riomhaire

riomhaire

This is a really cool hack. Having a lot of fun trying it out. Not sure if this is a known issue (I don't have the patience to read through eighty pages) but I figured I might as well report it. I was having some issues getting Knuckles to grab onto certain blocks in Marble Zone. First one is pictured here: http://I.imgur.com/qY5iH.png

Knuckles will never grab the block/ledge underneath the broken monitor no matter how many times I tried. More curiously to the left of this picture is a lava field with two large floating blocks for the sitting-on-a-cube-floating-through-the-lava section. I could sometime grab and climb the sides of these blocks and sometimes not. It did not depend on how fast I was gliding or how far I glided from as far as I could tell but when I was able to climb them I was able to do so repeatedly and when I was unable to it would not stick no matter how many times I tried. But then when moved to the far left or far right so that the blocks went off screen and came back sometimes the properties had changed. One side of the block that was previously slippery was now climbable and the other may have gone slippery in its place. It didn't occur to me till later to systematically check whether the direction I approached from was what was causing the changes. I could go back and try that if you'd like.

Edit: Version 0.07b5a
    Edit2: Playing with Gens 2.14

6. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR

Provisional Member
    USA, Florida
    http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos
    Finally,

Sonic Classic Heroes with Sonic 1 and 2 Released. This makes me want to start another broadcast of me playing the entire game tonight as fast as possible. Yeah, this might also help in discovering any bugs by the viewers or the developer seeing the game in action by another player. If you guys are interested in the broadcast, it will start in 15 Minutes from this post time frame. You can view the full broadcast here: http://www.twitch.tv/marcus101rr

I'll be on Chat, available.

7. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That block is actually a sprite (even in normal S1); Knuckles can only climb terrain. The blocks to the left are terrain, but they have sprites inside that prevent the characters from going through the blocks if they are standing on the pushable block. If Knuckles grabs closer to the top or bottom, he will climb the block; if grabbing more to the middle, he will grab hit the sprites and won't climb. I guess I can fix these.

8. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    As part of some silly times, me and a friend went and did a netplay of the game (0.07f1 , by the way) and I took the time to record, edit, and post it.

Part 1. Later ones in spoiler.

It also shows off a lot of the current mishaps the game seems to have, so take it as a sort of feedback. The game is fun and enjoyable, and from the small bit of time working, 3-player gameplay is in there and functioning.

9. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The first one is a genuine "derp": Sonic only has collision when going down, so these kinds of things can happen. Those relating to the special stage results not appearing, or the special stage going again, are also bugs. So is a character different from the one that ended the level going into special stage. So thanks for them.

The others are derps only in you attributing them to the hack: they are all from the original games. For example: at around 12:10, offscreen Sonic (which can pass through solid objects just like Tails can in S2 and S3&K) is crushed to death because he and the object he is in the middle of are brought on-screen. At 13:41, the blocks are sprites, not terrain -- it is the same thing riomhaire was talking about. And so on.

Edit: Anyway: new revision is out; grab it here.

Enhancements over previous revision:
    • The character that entered the big ring is the one that goes to special stage.
    • If the leader presses 'A' in the S2 special stages, he will move to the front if he is not already there.
    • Can't gather more than 99 continues.
    Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Blue shade in CNZ big ring.
    • Incorrect starting level in Sonic 2 only mode.
    • Graphical glitches in S1->S2 transition, S1 ending, including Tails' tails.
    • All pushing block issues have been fixed.
    • Fixed color-changing Newtron in GHZ2.
    • Fixed some special stage results bugs.
    • Correctly initializing previous DPLC on objects where this could be an issue (big ring, end of level signpost).
    • S2 Special stage Knuckles had a frame with wrong priority in a couple of tiles.
    • Bug involving scattering/attracted rings and being hurt.
    Edit: if you downloaded before this edit, please re-download it; I fixed one additional bug and added one additional enhancement.

10. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    Actually, the repeat was editing on my part. If you listen carefully, you can hear a small tone of the GHZ theme come up right before the warp.

11. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Roger. Thanks for mentioning it, it kept me from wasting time trying to reproduce it :v:

To those that didn't see, my previous post has a new version of the hack, fixing all outstanding reported bugs I remembered to fix.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I have a really strange bug to report, that occurs on Marble Zone. I have enclosed a screengrab, and a savestate with the bug in question. I'm playing as Sonic on Marble Zone, and I went REALLY fast, and went back and forth, and the floating chunks disappeared completely. I dunno how or why, and I can't replicate it but it was cool as hell to do it.

Savestate

Have fun! BTW this is using the v0.07f1 release.
    [​IMG]

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    A heads-up-even when I had all of the Emeralds, Team Sonic goes Super instead of Hyper in the Sonic 2 ending, although this may be intentional I'm not sure. Also, the credits still lists the game as Sonic 2 Heroes instead of Sonic Classic Heroes.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I've had this too, but I was all 3 characters. When you get to them then make them fully catch on fire, then go away then come back, it's gone. If it wasn't on fire, it will stay. Property issue maybe?

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That should help in tracking down the issue, thanks.

16. WheatThins

WheatThins

Chicago
    Co-Admin at synchan.net
    :colbert: Hyper sonic doesn't exist til S3&K, unless it was imported in to this ROM.

17. Unless you're talking about the ending sprites for Hyper Sonic, I'm not sure you know what is even in this hack

18. flamewing

flamewing

France
    @Zinos: By any chance, do you have a save-state where this happens? The tries I made resulted in it working as expected, but maybe that is a result of me cheating in the emeralds.

@WheatThins: What a way to waste a trial post: putting your foot in your mouth :v:

Anyways: new revision is up: grab it here.

Changelog:

Enhancements over previous revision:
    • Minor speed improvements on several routines.
    Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Both fireballs from CNZ boss spikeball went on the same direction.
    • Vanishing flaming grass platforms in MZ, along with several potentially bad bugs related to it.
    Bugs fixed from the original games:
    • Duck then jump bug on vertically looping levels.
    • Fixed SYZ3 glitch through floor, hopefully without side-effects.
    Edit: A few comments: the MZ flaming platform did not cause more serious troubles by sheer luck. It was overwriting the object respawn table entry with the last of the fireballs, which could (a) lead to the wrong object being deleted when it got out of screen and (2) lead to random crap being written to bad locations when the platform got offscreen enough. It also used an address that overlapped the child fireballs to mark the platform as being on fire, but this one is more harmless -- by luck. Moreover, the platform never cleared its respawn entry if it had burned completely. So you see, it was bad...

19. FlashingYoshi

FlashingYoshi

idk, maybe if Pending Approval allowed wiki edits Member
    Glitch ahoy! So many that I made them into Gens movies. =P Anyways, the movies labelled scheroes-7f2 are for version 0.07f2. Guess what version scheroes-7f3 uses. scheroes-7f3-dafuq is just hex-edited 7f2 version, so it desyncs when I lose my 39th life. That's where dafuq2 picks up the slack.
    The confirmed glitches are only in Marble Zone 2. They are that Knuckles can apparently glide into lava, he can't grab on certain walls (sprite, not terrain), it is possible to trigger the lava and stay up safe, and explore the area where the lava was before (and fall to your doom), and that after finishing the act, Tails can bring Knuckles up to a wall, and Knuckles can hold onto the wall as long as desired. =D

Movie links:
    http://www.2shared.c...esbugs.zip.html
    http://jumbofiles.com/ow7bslzrix0s
    http://ge.tt/1cmbWqL/v/0
    http://thexyz.net/arhgkadnbn80

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    For reference, gir are not "Gens" movies; they are "Gens Plus" movies. Makes all the difference in the world.

I am not in the slightest interested in the "bugs" regarding Knuckles not being able to climb sprites. I swear, I will get myself banned insulting the next person to "report" them. I am also not interested in anything regarding people doing stupid things after the act ends.

The scheroes-7f2-moar.gir and scheroes-7f2-evenmoar.gir movies were more interesting; but they are ultimately useless without knowing what you did to trigger it.

As for the slide inside terrain: for some reason, I had the check to see if Knuckles was sliding on a sprite disable collision with terrain. Some other cases also did this (specifically, normal gliding and falling from glide), but they are usually more harmless -- now that I think of it, they could be behind the issues on scheroes-7f2-moar.gir and scheroes-7f2-evenmoar.gir, if you trigger the anti-gravity glitch.