don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Narstyle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. BulimicCannibal

BulimicCannibal

I find it strange that so many people say the game has aged horribly, I haven't played it in at least 9 years and I'm hesitant to do so
    now because it's one of my favourite games of my childhood. I just don't understand how a game could be fun years ago but bad in modern times?
    If it was fun then it should be fun now, right?

I could understand glitches and shoddy camera being annoying when we're used to much better now, but annoying enough to completely ruin such a memorable game?
    I hope that's not possible

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    As far as mods go, my dream mod is of course Super mode in levels, but I'll settle with a few model replacements. Top priority are Metal Sonic and Super Sonic to make them look like the more modern versions.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    No. You never need them. At all. There's a spring where you find them.

4. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    It was fun years ago because there was hype around it, and no one knew what was coming next.

5. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I remember when I first played SA2, being terrified that they'd continue the implied romance between Knuckles and Rouge in the next game.

6. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I was just playing some SA2 multiplayer (Literally. About ten minutes ago), and I think I can take the "assigning buttons" thing one step further. In multiplayer, why not, instead of having everything mapped to the B/X (Circle/Square) buttons, have the special moves (e.g. Sonic Wind, Time Stop) mapped to the Y (Triangle) button. You don't need the whistle/Mystic Melody/Sunglasses in multiplayer, anyway. It's a button that's completely unused in this mode.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You'd be very surprised how much problems are magnified once a game loses that new plastic smell and is revisited after a while. Sure, it may be rustiness as well, but even when you pick up your skills again, you'll be aware of its pitfalls. In SA2, quite literally.

Some people don't let it get to them, and that's fine. Tolerance can be a good thing. It's only a problem when people straight up deny there are any problems with the game as that's just being irrational. SA2 has quite a bit of problems, not just in how its balanced or its story/acting, but in terms of how it's coded together. Yes, it's not quite the buggy mess SA1 was, but it still has glaring issues. I'll only name the Chao Doctor in the original SA2 as one of the more devastating (but rare) instances.

8. It gets really bad when most of the pro-SA2 crowd goes as far as to say games like Generations are bad. I mean, over on Sonic Stadium some of the Adventure series fanboys have come to the point where they claim SEGA is as bad as Capcom, referring to Colors and Generations as Super Hyper Sonic Unleashed Alpha Turbo EX Revival Unchained HD.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    And that's why we don't usually let the rabble into the forums here. That's all baseless emotionally-grounded rambling because someone dared to speak ill about their childhood game. Before anyone goes running their mouth of how I'm only saying this because it's not "my precious Genesis-era games", I can more than tear apart my favorite game (S3K) for all its weaknesses (blatant separation to maximize money [16-bit era "DLC" :specialed:] , S&K levels are mostly drab and boring, selling game breaking bugs as features, etc) and respect why people may not like it, but don't let it hamper my love for the game.

If that's all they have to say when trying to defend their game, then they're only making themselves look worse and deliver very little credibility to their stance. Even in here, to the guys who have stepped forward and said why they're cool with SA2, they have been rational and that's totally cool.

10. Hukos

Hukos

Well that happens with all dearly loved games, Sonic games aren't really exempt from that. The rabid fanbase behind each critically acclaimed game in the more popular franchises will valiantly defend their precious games as if it were a matter of life and death.

I can't tell you the amount of death threats I've gotten because I consider Mario 3 a rather mediocre and dull game, especially in comparison to Mario World or Yoshi's Island. ;)

I don't mind SA2 myself, but I think it's one of the more overrated entries into the series, and I don't think it's grimdark tone really has a place in the Sonic franchise.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The only mods I could see being worth it for SA2 PC are Tails outside his mech and Super Sonic. For anything else, Generations has a FAR superior engine and graphical renderer, I fail to see why you'd do anything more with SA2.

Still, not bemoaning a PC release too much simply because Sega needs the money right now.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, Generations is the superior game absolutely, but I would like to see work done to SA2 itself. Now level mods and what not can just stay with Generations, but it would be nice to see things like what you mentioned, or things like 2 player characters playable in one player mode, or just removing all the upgrades from sight. I just want to see my SA2 experience improved, I don't really care much for extra stuff though.

13. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Apparently a demo of SA2 will be playable at PAX Prime along with 8 other games including Nights and an unnamed IP.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/08/09/sega-brings-nine-playable-games-to-pax-prime/

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Not everyone can run Generations though. I'd like to see the whole 9 yards with Sonic Adventure 2 myself. Like maybe port some Sonic Heroes levels to SA2.

15. That reminds me, when the hell is Jet Grind coming out? I'm all over that.

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    "Summer 2012".

Given that Summer of Arcade is currently running on Xbox Live, that would mean sometime between August 14th and September 22nd.

17. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-10-jet-set-radio-release-date-and-price-revealed

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Call me pessimistic, but I don;t see SA2 having drastically lower system requirements, if they're messing about with higher-end rendering...

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Are they just doing a straight port with "enhanced" graphics and textures.

20. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    Oh what bullshit, they should just release the game for All PSN users on the same week instead of walling off to PS+ right away.

Though its great that its $10 instead of $15 or something.