don't click here

Windows 8 RTM :V

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Oerg866, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Skaarg

Skaarg

Once I've restored a proper start menu or installed Start 8 Windows 8 becomes a much better OS. The only time I see the full screen start screen is if something opens a Metro app and after I alt+f4 the program because there is no other way to close it, and I'm not going to waste resources leaving it running. Microsoft also needs to fix colors for Windows themes. I wanted a darker grey or black window border, but it won't change the color of the text. So I get black on black which is the greatest!

One question I have though. If I open the start screen it shows up on my primary monitor, but if I click on an app it opens on my secondary monitor. Anyone know how to change that or move an app to a different monitor? So far the only thing I've found is to snap it to the left or right side of my second monitor.

2. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Also easy to say when you don't!
    I think the only really valid complaints I've even seen about Windows 8 are
    1. The start search isn't a unified search like in Windows 7, which means adding an extra click/Tab press to your workflow if you need setting/file search,
    2. the All Apps list is fairly disorganized, which as far as I can tell, is also a problem in the Windows Phone implementation of Metro Start screen, counteracted by the fact that you're meant to use your home screen for only your most-used apps, and
    3. It isn't a substantial enough upgrade from Windows 7 to want to upgrade, which, obviously, you aren't forced to.
    Everything else is complaints about having to learn to get used to minor alterations to workflow and whining about aesthetic changes. Remember, you're not having Win8 forced on you in any way, shape, or form, so all the childish bawling about how much "it sucks" is blown hugely out of proportion for no valid reason whatsoever.. In the meanwhile, people who buy new desktops and laptops will wind up with it and not really notice. Most people are clueless enough with a regular Windows 7 PC, to be frank.

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Aero is just the visual style. It does not waste any resources, it's the desktop window manager that "wastes" resources by running the desktop on your gpu. And that one is still active, just with a different visual style.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's like saying... "I don't cause harm the world. It's MY CAR who does that!"

You can't have Aero without it being run on your GPU :p The windows are all rendered by DX3D to give that warping effects... I'll still use my Classic theme... that is still available, right?

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    If you consider using 1% of your GPU a waste then you should stick to Windows 2000.

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    My biggest problem with Windows 8 is it looks like shit. I'm not against visual changes, or workflow changes; Microsoft just fucked up hard and made a terrible UI. I understand they want to go with a simplistic look, but they did it so wrong and it's just painful to look at.

If Windows 8 looked like this I would be upgrading, but how it looks now I'm never leaving 7 for it until I'm forced when they make an exclusive DirectX for Windows 8 and pay-off game devs to not support older versions.

[​IMG]

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's not just 1%, when you start using programs like Photoshop, Sketchup or any 3D windowed application, you do notice some drop on performance. Also, it doesn't give you any benefit, as you can add all the tidbits with 3rd party programs for the Classic Skin.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Please read.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2007/03/pretty-vista/2/

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

Windows 7, Home Premium, no Virtual PC installed. Professional can do it as well.

10. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    There's only one thing that Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate could do with VHDs that lower editions cannot and that is booting from VHDs. The same is true for Windows 8. You need Windows 8 Enterprise to boot from a VHD.

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I don't know Sketchup, but Photoshop uses OpenGL acceleration which has fuck all to do with Aero. And it's actually smoother with that than without, so...

As for customizing the classic skin, that will actually run slower because it will have to use GDI+ objects on your videocard, which runs on your cpu and not your gpu (they are brute force rasterized into framebuffer immediately, but still computed with the cpu) - so it's slower, and since it taxes your CPU more it is also less power efficient.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Many of that benefits were added to the Classic skin (magnifying behind the window, smoother animations, snapping onther windows... hell you can even make the interface on classic scheme transparent with 3rd party programs). And did you know all the symbols used on the ui (minimize, close, maximize etc) were vectors since Windows 95, there's a font that contains all those characters.

And about the small size... they have an option to show larger text and buttons (and I don't use it, even on my 125dpi lcd on desktop).

Anyway,I won't stop using my beloved interface ui <3.

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Okay, so you just don't have any clue or understanding about how GDI or DWM work. Good to know.

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm not going to have the time to install the RTM on my desktop for a few days and the VGA out on my laptop doesn't work so I can't test this out yet, but can someone with a dual monitor setup confirm this issue is fixed in the RTM?

http://I.imgur.com/ELEwQ.jpg

I had a flash video playing in full screen on my secondary monitor, while this was playing I was browsing the web on my right monitor. I went to restore the full screen video to it's windowed state so I could check my IRC window, but as you can tell from the screenshot when I went to click the windowed mode button the stupid sidebar thing pops it's ugly face in. Of course I can press escape or something else, but it's just so annoying that I can't use things as their intended because Microsoft had to change everything.

15. If I cannot directly boot to desktop and skip the whole Metro nonesense, I'm not even going to take a look at this. Normal people turn their computers off at the end of the day. If I have to tell it to go and open up the desktop (which probably takes some extra time) then what's the point? I want my OS to speed things up not slow me down with an ugly bland interface.

16. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I both understand and don't understand the metro hate.

Yes it shoves a tablet interface in your face which is pretty unwanted on a desktop, it uses resources with the apps, but they are managed by qwindows so they don't use too much resources, plus they are easy to close (drag the panel down with the mouse from the top of the screen).

But on the other hand it's not like it hinders performance, and it has all the functionality of the start menu and more!
    its just that its full screen instead of using a small area of your screen in the bottom left.

17. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Can I just ask, I havn't used Windows 8 yet but I plan on giving it a whirl.

Since it is a leaked Enterprise Version which is the release candidate I'm assuming it has full software support.

I mainly use 3D Studio Max and Adobe programs which would be my main worry. Do they work with Windows 8 as they should?
    I'm assuming they do as it is the release version but if someone could clear this up it would be great.

18. It's not the release candidate, it's the final signed off version. There's a Pro leak now aswell.

But keep in mind you can't activate any of them yet. You'll get a nasty watermark telling you to activate windows. I don't really mind that though. Someone will make a haxorz soon anyways (I hope?!)

19. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I probably won't mind the watermark and as you said, someone will hax it soon.

Just need to figure out where to obtain it from now, I don't like using torrents.

Edit: Question about software compatability still stands. Does everything work correctly?

20. Of course. Why wouldn't it?