don't click here

Windows 8 RTM :V

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Oerg866, Aug 3, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Windows 8 Enterprise-N final x64 was leaked yesterday :V

Am I the only one liking windows 8 so far?

2. Digiku

Digiku

Oldbie
    Not at all. Win8 has squeezed a couple extra years of life out of my tablet laptop, and the touch interface is wonderful for that.

Does the leaked build have any kind of activation thing turned on?

3. Well, since it's not even released on MSDN yet, the version leaked was Enterprise, which doesnt require you to enter a key at install time. There is no way to activate windows 8 yet.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I've still got the release preview. Any significant changes here?

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Flare

Flare

Hmm, I know I'm just being bit of a graphic junky, but the interface is not at all beautiful or engaging. I know its a different direction but there are other graphic designers out there that have done wonders with the simple & limited colour style it is just sad to see that Microsoft call this an interface.

Apart from that, not tried it so not sure how it works, but if it is the same as the last god knows how many versions then I am not impressed by a few tablet enhancements, Apple are doing the same and not impressed with that either.

However not heard good things from many and the only ones I hear good things from are Window fanatics so... we will see.

7. that's because many people just talk bullshit without using the OS themselves, dude.

8. Flare

Flare

No I'm talking about the people I work with, developers - both proffestional and "indie".

9. My point still stands. Most people either don't know shit, or are too lazy to spend the 2 minutes making it work for them.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've used it. Outside of the new Task Manager, it's a step backwards from 7.

11. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    please enlighten me as to how palpably faster overall performance and added features like built-in ISO/VHD mounting are "a step backwards" just because you have an irrational hatred for change
    I have not seen a single complaint about the start screen interface that couldn't be alleviated by spending a minute or two getting used to doing the same things as before in a slightly different manner, but nerds are children who will whine about any changes to anything in any way

remember how people complained about windows XP and 7 before prerelease?
    XP was "2000 but bloated", and had a "fisher price interface" (valid enough complaint, but that's all aesthetics)
    7 was "the same shit as vista", aero was "ugly", it was "slow", it "wasn't worth jumping ship from XP for"
    both of those are Microsoft's most popular OSes at this point
    now 8 is ripping bloat out of the OS, removing aero, generally improving the functionality of the OS, and nerds are complaining about it

it's pretty obvious that much like Sonic fans, Microsoft haters have no idea what they actually want/are complaining for the sake of complaining

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, fine, I'll go through my points:

* Faster performance, I will grant.
    * ISO/VHD mounting - uhm, pretty sure Windows 7 can do this. I mount VHDs in 7 at work all the time.
    * The forcing of a tablet interface is horrible, I'm sorry. I do not have a touch screen, I do not want, nor need, an interface designed to be a touch screen! It should start up on the Windows desktop, not the tablet interface, and I should never SEE the tablet interface.
    * I have never had a bad word to say about 7 - it was everything that Vista SHOULD have been, and works really well. Likewise, once you turned off the Luna skin XP was also a decent OS with no real issues. I was never one of those die-hard "2000 is teh g0d" fanboys.

tl;dr - 8 has made some awful changes to try to force the tablet paradigm on the desktop in a hope to get in on the iPad/Android market. That is my main beef with 8 - and because it IS so in-your-face about it, it spoils the entire thing. Thanks for the juvenile insults and pidgeon-holing, though!

13. The tablet interface *is* *not* *forced*. I've been on the desktop environment for 3 days. YOU HAVE A BIG BUTTON THAT TAKES YOU TO IT, YOU KNOW.

Windows 7 can not natively (without VPC Installed I think) mount VHDs, nor can it mount ISOs. Windows 8 includes a mounting system for most disc image formats.

14. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Are you sure that's the final, or did the person who took the screenshots modify it?

Why is the a build number in the lower right corner? Those are only enabled on debug builds. Also, why is there a start button in the lower left? Did Microsoft backpedal over completely removing it in the Release Preview?

15. I took the screenshots myself, so they're not fake.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The start button -WITH A LITERAL SHELL ON IT- is part of a third party program called Classic Shell that brings it to Windows 8 again.

17. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It can be enabled manually in any Windows version (somewhere in the registry). I have it displayed right now on win7 x64.

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    A developer is the last person I'd take an opinion from. Developers are the world's worst for not liking any kind of significant change. I'd listen more to the casual but knowledgeable computer user.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Easy to say when you mod back in the start button.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This.

Having Metro is awesome.

I don't like Aero myself as it's useless and just makes the PC waste energy but just deleting it is ... dumb.

It was elegant, for the 'normal' user... It was just perfect.

If I didn't get 7 for free I'd still be using Vista. So unless college gives me Windows 8 for free... no way I'm going to try this out.