don't click here

Disembodied head of Metal Sonic Kai

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dr. Mecha, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Since my Game is on hold in order to get the IP sorted out, I took my time to rip some sprites/palette off of Knuckles Chaotix using SonED2, Chaotix Art Editor (1207 version) and the Chaotix Art and Palette viewer (link Broken). I would post it in the Chaotix Hacking topic, but it was locked.
    This is what I discovered so far:
    Metal Sonic Kai
    [​IMG]
    His disembodied Head, most likely used for an cutscene in which it escape when you failed to collect all the Chaos Rings.

[​IMG]
    Same like a gear of some short, but it turns out to be
    [​IMG]
    HIS WRIST

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Most likely his attack from that gaping maw of his.

[​IMG]
    Could be use for his Belly Blaster, but so does this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I could NOT for the life of me find a proper palette for this one, but it's in the same art location as MSK's.

Might Post some more soon.

2. Interesting decapitated sprite. Are you sure that wasn't used in the defeat sequence?

3. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I recently watch the video in which they defeat him without all of of the chaos rings and it's the same result.

4. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Found some palettes from the Art/Palette Viewer and discovered the purpose of the unknown Sprite:
    [​IMG]
    Metal Sonic Spew toxic gas.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Please don't speculate; the last time we did this we had an enemy name I could never trace back to the source. I can't tell you if the body parts are indeed used or not; you'd have to look at the 32X side in a debugging emulator like Gens/GS. I do know some of Metal Sonic's artwork is done on the Genesis side; I just forget which.

6. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Only the head is on the Genesis Side, everything else is on 32x (in which only the art viewer can show).

Anyways, the 1207 prototype also show some interesting stuff, like that thing in which it was actually took place in Amazing Area.
    [​IMG]
    It look more complete than the one left over at the final.

I also found an unused badnik in it as well:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]
    I've pointed this one out before in the Supreme Topic of Other Knowledge. I don't recall it used anywhere in-game.

8. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I think I covered that one in the Chaotix Hacking Topic.

Last one for today
    [​IMG]
    The ones in the green box is unused (evidence that the one for Speed Slider is absent, yet we got Isolated Island)
    The ones in the green box except for Isolated Island were leftovers from the 1207 build.
    The one in the Magenta Box were just custom made for the heck of it.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    http://andlabs.lostsig.com/chaoview.zip new link to viewer, thanks to SeanieB for hosting

I don't remember much about the unused body parts and what parts are used right now, but I do know that eventually we're going to have to run through and figure out which bits of art are used by running through the code manually :/ I guess for now we can mark them as such?

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Well, I don't know if I have the rights to edit the Game Secrets page, but I would like these finding to be included in it.

Here's some notes that would go well with your program when it comes to Palettes

Special stage (Complete Palette, characters included):7F648
    Intro/Credits: 229804
    Players (Including Special Stage Sprites): 0022921A
    HUD: 1924
    Levels: 1a42
    Special Stage Objects: 5dce
    MetalSonic: 12f62
    MetalSonicKai: 13166
    Badniks: 12c78

Oh, and I found the Palette for those damn bugs in the intro.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    More assets from 1207 build that were unavailable in the final build:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]