don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Playing through again. The first block in MZ act 2 wont go into the lava. It glitches out on the ledge. I was playing as only Sonic and Knuckles, and pushed with Sonic alone. I didnt switch at all in the act prior to reaching this block.

2. Tokkan

Tokkan

I was playing and discovered this bug. Decided to explore further. It seems push blocks can't be pushed to the left, only to the right. I'll try and see if there's anything more to this bug.

3. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I forgot to remove one line, with the result you mention when pushing the block left.

Edit: The multiple invincibility stars issue is also fixed.

4. Beat the game. Absolutely fantastic the whole way through.

Here are some bugs/issues I picked up:

- Whoever is in the 2nd slot on bottom never seems to move after jumping.
    - Bubble Shield box flashing in Metropolis when Hyper
    - Tails outside entry dock before Death Egg
    - Credits screen flashes in and out, just flash the names in and out, background static?
    - Heroes logo looks slightly garbled at end

5. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Played all the way through, got all 14 emeralds by Star Light Zone. Fucking awesome.

Infinite 12000 points lol.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hope you're ready. I found a plethora of bugs.
    1. * Sonic's Sol Emerald Special Stage graphics clip when jumping. IDK if this happens to other characters.
    2. * If finishing a level while super/hyper, Knuckles doesn't return to his normal red, instead being left with whatever color he was on when finishing the level..
    3. * Labyrinth Zone act 1 shortcut leads to a tunnel which is supposed to suck you into a current, it doesn't do that.
    4. * Also the results screen for the All Sol Emeralds was kinda glitched and wonky. I didn't have all chaos emeralds yet though.
    5. * On one of the ledges leading to the Labyrinth boss, I was Knuckles with a bubble shield, and jumped right through a Burrobot badnik, it was in the last pair of badniks leading to the boss, the one on the right side.
    6. * Also inexplicably lost my lightning shield on the boss without getting hit... I recall there were previous problems with this boss and that shield...
    7. * Star Light Zone see-saws, When CPU is controlling Sonic, he inexplicably turns into a ball when coming down.
    8. * Sonic loops in SLZ when falling. Not always, but it happens. Similar to an old glitch that was in Sonic 2 Heroes.
    9. * SLZ pylons appear in front of rings. Small graphical error with priority.
    10. * SLZ boss graphics clip after he is defeated by team hyper.
    11. * When climbing on most walls in Scrap Brain Zone, Knuckles can't pull himself up to the floor, instead he usually just falls.
    12. * Some of the collision in Hill Top Zone needs fixing. I'll post pics of this later, as I find them.
    I'll keep looking for any more. Any chance, by the way we could see a Sonic 3 Complete style transformation/deformation control? I think such a thing would be great, sick of trying to use double jumps only to transform. PLUS can you enable Sonic to transform with/without a shield? Since the others already can anyway.

7. The Marble Zone push-block bug is still there. You can still complete the level by using Tails and Knuckles, but a couple blocks just refuse to fall of their ledge.

You know, it might be easier if you just remove most of the blocks altogether. I mean, it seems like the perfect spot to help guide the player into getting used to switching characters around, by making them have to do it in places to proceed.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I believe I mentioned this already... What makes it worse is that its on the EXACT same page as this post:
    He said he fixed it. You'll have to wait for the next release to come out before you see it fixed. Besides, getting rid of the blocks, even if only some/most, like you said, would be a dumb thing to do. Sure, Tails and Knuckles don't need it for some sections, but there are instances where you DO need the block (Such as, the first block you encounter)... BESIDES, take out the block, and what good does that do for anyone wanting to play as Sonic alone? You need to take that into account too.

9. Crash Mobile

Crash Mobile

Portugal
    SonicKit
    I got stuck in (literally "in") the one-way barrier in the 7th Special Stage. Nothing I did would unglue Tails from it. Had to reset.

10. @KingofHarts

Sorry. I misread the post saying it was fixed, and thought he updated the version a couple posts prior. My mistake. Also, I never considered having Sonic alone. I admit, I sounded rather stupid.

11. flamewing

flamewing

France
    This was the foreground piece not being set. Fixed.
    I added a check that should prevent Tails and Knuckles from needlessly repeating the code that resets their colors, but had put a wrong branch (and did not test it). Fixed.
    Can't reproduce; worked on Regen, Gens and Fusion, for all characters I played. Can you give more details?
    Can't reproduce. Can you post a picture?
    The burrobots were not correctly wrapping his position, thus going to a negative position far away from Sonic. Fixed.
    Are you sure you were not hit or touched water?
    That was CPU Sonic pressing jump on air, and curling into a ball. I disabled the capability.
    Will see what I can do.
    You mean they appear behind, but should appear in front. The same actually happen with the title cards. Anyway, it is fixed.
    That is sprite overflow. Nothing I can do about it, unfortunately.
    Can you give an example of such a wall? I made a change that should eliminate this, but it worked on the walls I tried wth or without the change.

Anyway: new revision: go grab it.

Changelog:
    Enhancements over previous revision:
    • Improved positioning of Knuckles when climbing over a ledge.
    • Slightly changed collision in S1 special stages in an attempt to prevent people from getting stuck. Probably buggy!
    Enhancements over original games:
    • Attracted rings should follow the players the right way on looping levels.
    Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Push blocks worked wrong when being pushed to the left.
    • Two tiles in one single frame of bubble shield bounce somehow got blanked.
    • End of super transformation correctly reverses Knuckles' and Tails' colors once again.
    • Animated tiles at the background of SBZ2 and FZ.
    • Fixed explosions on FZ boss and on Silver Sonic, which showed incorrectly under some conditions.
    • Vines in HTZ zip lines looked wrong.
    • Rexxon's fireball looked wrong.
    • Sol animated wrong after throwing all fireballs.
    • One frame os Sonic's jumping animation in S2 Special Stages had missing foreground flag.
    • Incorrect water ripples, introduced by two off-by-one errors in previous revision.
    • Burrobots wrap their Y position, allowing a certain pair of them to be killed.
    • Fixed ring priorities.
    Bugs fixed from the original games:
    • Fixed superfast water slides while holding down.
    • Water surface continues to animate when leader dies.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idea for a feature. Maybe the A button could be used to switch who is in front in the special stages too. Sometimes one of your partners winds up running in front of you and then it's kind of hard to get back in front of them, unless you have key configurations for a 2nd/3rd controller and make both of em jump.

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Oh, crap, I got it. Due to the changes I made to the scattering rings, I should have done corresponding changes to the attracted rings. When anyone with a lightning shield gets hit, the rings he was attracting becomes normal scattering rings; without the corresponding changes I made in that object, they cause side effects such as the one you reported. Another side-effect is that This is severe enough that I uploaded a new build.

So get it here.

Changes:

Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Rings attracted by lightning shield were misbehaving when any of the players got hit.
    Bugs fixed from the original games:
    • Attracted rings did not count for perfect bonus if collected after the shield was lost.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Quick question, is there a save feature here? The game did not auto-save when I closed it. Sorry if this was answered previously.

Also, I really love the Sonic 3C styled Stage Icons! It's a great touch!

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Save games are not implemented yet, I am working furiously on it though.

And strictly speaking, the idea from the icons came from the Supreme Topic of "Other", with Neo bringing it up on S3C; I had actually implemented them on my hack before Tiddles implemented in S3C. Just an FYI, to dispel some confusion on the matter.

16. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Thanks for the clarification on that.

17. I really like this game, even if all the levels are ones I've played a million times. It's still fun to play with all the different abilities. For one thing, I loved fighting the Marble Zone boss battle with everybody decked out in Fire Shields. Easiest boss fight I ever saw!

Out of curiosity, after you finish with all the tweaks and bugfixes for this game, are you going to do one with new levels? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems that once you have the engine set up, level design would be really fast and easy, plus the potential for multiple and hidden routes through the level would be amazing! If you're not planning on doing original levels when you're done with this, would you have any problems with somebody else using this for a starting point to do it?

---EDIT---
    Found a couple bugs. First off, in Spring Yard Zone Act 3, if you run down that initial ramp without curling into a ball, you get launched inside the floor and have to jump out. Tested it repeatedly with Knuckles, and it happened every time.

Second, I was abusing Tails and Knuckles in Act 2, and ended up somewhere possibly unfinished? Here's a shot of the place:

[​IMG]

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Due to my current internet connection I cannot view the picture, but if its the same spot I found, I believe that this is an unfinished spot that actually exists in the original game as well. This reminds me to go into my Sonic 1 hack and take it out.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ok, SO... for the Sol Emerald screenshot. Take a gander. I'm using Gens GS r7 by the way, if it helps. The Sol Emeralds do appear normally, they just don't appear in this frame due to flashing.
    [​IMG]

And now for the Labyrinth Zone bug. When you take the shortcut with the hidden block, you will approach a water slide. Hitting this slide will send you into the tunnel, and the current will work. You will also be pushed backwards if you try to re-enter the tunnel again afterwards. Using Tails or Knuckles, I avoided touching the waterslide, and went straight into the tunnel without touching the slide. This resulted in me having to walk through the tunnel on my own, and it allowed me to re-enter the tunnel backwards, afterwards. Moving ahead of the tunnel and returning didnt fix this, neither did backtracking and hitting the waterslide. it stayed like this.

Also a third note. If you look up or down with a character and hold till the score tally appears, the camera stays down. Switching to another character will bring it back to normal, but going back to the character that was looking down shifts the character back down again. A similar effect can happen if one character goes into a Giant Ring. A small nitpick but I'm curious if any of it will be fixed.

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The problem in LZ was, strangely enough, the door that prevent you from being sucked down the tunnel near the switch. This door set a flag to prevent the water tunnels from working, but don't clear it when they are about to be deleted.

As for the special stage: I simply could not reproduce it. I tried in Regen, Gens and Kega, and no luck on any of them. If you have a save state where it happens, I would really appreciate.