don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I feel embarrassed now. Regardless, thank you for correcting my rather foolish mistake.

Funny though, why does SonMapEd automatically attempt to treat it as Nemesis compression? If you select the first option, it auto-detects.

Also when I tried to put this in the SonLVL ini... (One that I created for AIZ objects) it didn't draw the object. Is there something special I need to put in the .ini somewhere to dictate the compression format used?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Add the line artcmp=KosinskiM

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Much thanks MainMemory! Now, could someone please trash this or transfer it to the Basic Q&A? I feel ridiculous

Cinossu Edit: Done. :v:

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Okay, I feel stupid asking this, but with the Nick Arcade prototype, after changing the load request in Hidden Palace to enable are for the extra enemies, how do I fix the art for the other objects that got messed up? I feel like it should be simple, but I don't see any guide for it.

If you could help (and especially if it doesn't require a disassembly), I'd be very appreciative.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd like to see something on this also. I'm not in the exact situation, but my situation is that I ported HPZ from the beta to the final Sonic 2, and have it working, though I am running into object art that is rather funky and garbled.

It's the load request that is doing it to me also... and I am using a disassembly (HG/Merc./SVN)
    Perhaps one for disasm, and one without if possible.

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I've been looking for the voice files from Sonic Adventure 2 or SA2B, and unfortunatly, all I can find are Sonic's lines or the unused lines fron Sonic-CulT. So now I'm wondering, how can I extract the voice files I want from SA2 or SA2B?

I primarly want them for recreating scenes from SA2 in source film Maker if anyone is wondering.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I was wondering, is there a certain command or flag in S3+K's ASM for separate sprites being activated rather than whole animations (which I know is $20). It's just I've found moments in the game which activate poses that aren't according to a certain animation and wondering what part to edit.

8. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Just looking at the LRZ boulder pose fix I did for Tails... it seems like a lifetime ago I last looked like this, so I apologise if this is inaccurate, but the meat and potatoes of how it's done in that section seems to be (from sub_65F84):

Code (Text):
    2.         move.b  #-$7D,$2E(a1)
    3.         move.b  d4,$22(a1)
    4.         clr.b   $20(a1)
    5.         clr.b   $24(a1)
    6.         clr.b   $23(a1)
    Where d4 holds the frame number you want and a1 points to a player object. I don't know if this is the best way, and I don't recall if you have to forcibly reset this every frame, but maybe it's a start at least.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx for finding the flag, though the example I needed to edit had a number inserted instead so simpler to edit (though oddly in that minus form, which made it a bit harder to estimate).

Does anyone know the coding to edit for water levels when the level is restarted? What I want to do is keep Knuckles' water level in Sonic's levels, which I've managed to do, until you die and restart the level.

10. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The restart water level should be stored with the starpost data, but it can be overriden in a lot of other places. Have a look at Handle_Onscreen_Water_Height and DynamicWaterHeight for a start, and in the per-level functions called from ScreenEvents - any per-character checks around these areas are likely culprits.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I found a segment called CheckLevelForWater, it seems to have fixed things.

Odd as I was certain I already tried that bit.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I'm not totally sure, but I thought I'd ask if it's actually possible to make it faster.

Tell me if I've got the wrong idea of the stick anywhere here. DIVU where possible, you should use ASR instead, because it's a lot faster (and instead of MULU, use ASL).

divu.w #2,d0

change to

asr.w #1,d0

divu.w #4,d0

change to

asr.w #2,d0

Is it possible to change "divu.w #3,d0"? Because obviously, I can't put "asr.w #1.5,d0" =P

If there isn't, I'll just stick to "divu.w #3,d0", but just wondered if there was a faster way.

Cheers,
    redhotsonic

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    It depends on the precision you want; in many cases, doing "mulu.w #$5555,do swap d0" gives the same results but is much faster that "divu.w #3,d0". You can probably optimize this further by using shifts, but I will leave it at that.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber

Thanks, I will do that. But how come mulu is faster than divu? When they do the same thing but the opposite way?

15. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Division is much harder to do than multiplication; they are nowhere near the same thing but in the opposite way. You can see it by yourself: multiply (by hand) 117 by 12, 7 then try dividing 1404 by 17 and see which one is harder.

Computers compute these things through algorithms too; in the case of mulu, muls, divu and divs, these algorithms are implemented in hardware, but they are algorithms nonetheless.

Anyway: as a general rule: divu/divs are slower than anything else, while mulu/muls are only faster than divu/divs.

16. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Good point. So, basicaly, divu is slower than anything else, and the mulu is the second slowest. Thanks for the advice, mate, as always :)

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Um, anyone know of a way to extract the .one files on Shadow The Hedgehog? I heard you can use Game Extractor, but they only work for the XBOX version, which I do not have. I have the PS2 version. Also, if anyone has that old Shadow test level, then can you upload it? The old was on Megaupload and well...

After searching for a while, I managed to get what I was looking for, however, I can't seem to get the TXD to read with any TXD viewer.

18. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Quick search yielded nothing.
    I've been out of hacking for a while, remember a lot, but there's one thing bugging me. How the fuck do you lock the camera's position in S1?
    I can't seem to get it to happen. =P

19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber

It's not quite as easy as moving the Camera_ram to the minimum and maximum, because the level_boundaries will think you're at the end of the level. If you can stop that happening, it will be as simple as that then.

I was going to have a quick look for you, but I only have the S1 SVN version, and seeming as it has loads and loads of ASM files everywhere, and I do not hack Sonic 1, I didn't have the time.

20. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    $FFFFF7AA ; flag set to lock screen during bosses

quickest ctrl+f of my life. Hope that helps.