don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2012

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I'll be submitting soon. Just waiting for videos from my playtesters.

2. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    You could say that Sonic 1 Lunacy this year will..."bury"...the judges... :ssh:

Ok that was lame you can shoot me now.

3. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Only ten hours left!!! I'm totally fucking STOKED <3 I wanna play me some hax :D :D

There's even a bunch of Generations hacks this year!!! omgzzzzzzzz

4. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Heh, can't wait for the Community Week (or whatever it's called). I'd sure love to find some new hacks and mods to check out when it arrives!

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Submitted. Let me know if you need technical assistance with it, I'm *always* available.

6. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    So I got home from work late, but the contest is officially over for submissions!! Thanks to all who participated this year!! :D :D :D We will have a comprehensive listing of all entries posted here ASAP.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    1. Metal Sonic Hyperdrive by MKDarkon
    2. Sonic BUGS by GreenSnake
    3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2: A New Adventure by Shade Vortex
    4. Sonic The Hedgehog AGX by Blazer
    5. Sonic 1: The Special Stages by SonicVaan **
    6. Sonic the sleeper in: the Nostalgia dreams by Joseakadaman
    7. Sonic ERaZor by Selbi *
    8. Sonic 2 Secret Rings Edition by MainMemory
    9. Sonic 2 Secret Rings Control by MainMemory
    10. Sonic Generations Unleashed PC - Dragon Road Demo by Dario FF, Chimera, TwilightZoney
    11. Flickies' Island Defense by bgvanbur
    12. Sonic 3 And Amy Rose by E-122-Psi
    13. Sonic 1: Sonic CD Edition by Animemaster *
    14. Sonic 2: Battle Race by ColinC10
    15. Fixing Generations FOREVER by Lobotomy
    16. Sonic's Grand Adventure by Ravenfreak
    17. Sonic Melponterations by Melpontro Team (Melpontro and Hinchy)
    18. Untitled S3K Hack by D.A. Garden *
    19. Gumbal the Cat by cthboy
    20. Ashura in Sonic 1 (2002) by Sonic Kid (Sotic Team)
    21. Sonic 2 Flicky Turncoat Edition Boss Rush Edition by GT Koopa
    22. Flicky Turncoat DX by GT Koopa
    23. Sonic 1 Megahack: Ultra Edition by vladikcomper
    24. REGGINATOR GENERATIONS by sandwichbars
    25. Sonic 1 Lunacy by Masochistic Maniacs *
    26. Sonic the Hedgehog: Tribute by TheBarAdmin
    27. Sonic 2 Recreation by redhotsonic *
    28. Sonic Classic Heroes by flamewing
    29. Sonic 2 Adventure Control by MainMemory
    30. Sonic Adventure Generations by Dude *
    31. Predisposition by Team Evanesco
    32. Sonic 1 CDSS Edition by MarkeyJester

* Partial Private
    ** Full Private

There are a few entries whose visibility in the contest may change due to an update. Those who have made private/partial-private entries are welcome to change their visibility status via email at any time until the contest week starts on Monday 6th August. Updates to your submission build must be in by Saturday 28th July at 12AM PST.

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Fuck me it was absolute torture reading those first 13 on the list (no offense to any of you, I'm sure your work will be great)... but then I saw 14, breathed a sigh of relief and everything was right with the world once more.

ColinC10 is fucking back!

9. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    Yes, we were all anxiously awaiting the new ColinC10 hack =) The year there is no ColinC10 hack is the year that I don't want to live on this planet anymore :|

In other news, there was some confusion about the final deadline of the hacking contest this year as there were changes with time zone near the end as well as confusion about midnight on Saturday (which several people thought meant midnight Saturday night, ie 00:00 Sunday).

This was a hard decision, but we've all ultimately decided to let the two hacks that were submitted late, one by MarkeyJester and one by tristanseifert, to be allowed entry into the contest.

In the future, maybe we should have the contest end at noon or sometime in the evening =P

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    No Retro Remix? Damn I was hoping for a new release with those new water levels.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    There's always a possibility that it will be submitted for SAGE this year but that is up to the hack creator. Despite the absense of some previous contenders we are looking at a good contest this year, perhaps better than last year's too.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Basically this. ColinC10's hack of the year is like a christmas present you were never expecting. Now please come out of the shadows and release this wonderful game upon your public.

13. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    *sobs uncontrollably*

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I emailed this out to all the people who submitted hacks, if you didn't get it or you just want to read it, here it is!

DEADLINE FOR UPDATES

The deadline to get your updated submissions in is Saturday 28th July at 12AM PST. That's 8AM BST and 3AM EST. Please submit your updates to this email address only.

JUDGING

Judging has commenced but do note that for consideration of trophies, we will use your latest updated build to fully judge the entry. So in other words, the judges have what you originally submitted by the deadline, but will also recieve your final update after the deadline has passed and will judge using that submission. Please note that not all Judges have access to Sonic Generations but we hope that this does not seriously affect the judging of these entries.

CONTEST WEEK

Last year, we ran a Contest Week in conjunction with SAGE where the public were able to download public entries and vote for Community Trophies - a small list of trophies voted by the public. This will happen again this year, alongside SAGE 2012 which takes place from Monday 6th August to Sunday 12th August.

This year will be slightly different as we will be hosting all contest entries on the SSRG Repository. Because of that, it would be appreciated if you can register for a SSRG Account if you have not done so already so we can credit you for your submission in the proper manner. We will host all available submissions on the SSRG, but due to file size and bandwidth concerns we cannot host any Sonic Generations mods on the server so please maintain your own hosted link during this week.

There is no problem if your entry is public and you have offered it for download on SSRG, Sonic Retro or any other ROM hacking website, but we will only be offering what you submitted to us as the final download.

Only Public and Partial-Private entries will be up on the Repository and Partial-Private entries will only offer screenshots and videos, not the submission build as requested by the hack creator. If you would like to upgrade the status of your hack, please send us an email at any time before the Contest Week begins.

Also on the cards, MegaGWolf will be live streaming contest entries at some point during the week and this will be announced at a later date. We would like to stream all Public and Partial-Private entries but if there are any concerns regarding this, please email us about it. If you have a Private submission and you would not mind your submission being live streamed, again you can email us about it.

At the end of the week we will be providing a live results show where all trophies will be announced alongside discussion of the winning entries. We hope that you will be around to listen to this but if you don't, the results will be posted on SSRG and Sonic Retro right after the podcast has finished, with the recording of the podcast being made available as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading. It won't be long until the results are out! If you have any issues, please let us know as soon as possible!

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The deadline for updates has now expired and the judges will now be looking at your final entries.

16. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Wasn't it until midnight? Argh, I missed it for a few minutes!

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Is there anything that can be done about a file missing from an update pack? The game is completely unplayable without it. We just discovered a file that should have been present in the update file, but was accidentally omitted while trying to make the update as small as possible.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yes you can send that in considering it's vital to the submission.

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member

It's time to play the games!

The Sonic Hacking Contest is an annual event where people can submit their hacks and have them judged where they could win Trophies based on their hack. Since 2011, we have been partnering up with SAGE to bring you a Contest Week where you can download the entries submitted to the contest. We also have Community Trophies, a small selection of trophies that are voted by you, the public! By holding this week, we are allowing the community to participate in an event which has been running for many years.

This year, all available hacks will be on offer from the SSRG Repository, where you will be able to download a hack, give a rating and if you want to, leave a comment. Guest posting has been enabled for this section of the Repository as of this post but it is subject to change.

Once you have played the hacks, you can vote for the Community Trophies which are trophies voted by the public. There are six Trophies for you to vote on:

Hidden Palace Community Trophy
    Best hack submitted overall.

Big Community Trophy
    Worst hack submitted overall.

Windy Valley Community Trophy
    Best art hack submitted.

D.A. Garden Community Trophy
    Best music hack submitted.

Lava Reef Community Trophy
    Best level layout hack submitted.

11000101 Community Trophy
    Best technical hack submitted.

Hopefully we will have the rest of the website up later, including the Trophy Voting polls. For now, just download the hacks, give them a play and let us know what you think!

The results will be streamed LIVE at SAGE on Sunday. We'll let you know more soon. There will also be times on SAGE where the public hacks will be streamed, so you might want to keep an eye on that.

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    REALLY loving a fair few of the entries this year (and I've already left my comments of a couple). Can't wait for when the results roll in, will be something to look forward to ^_^ But for now, there's much more playing to be done by me :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.