don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Glad you two like it! I'll be tweaking things as I go, so nothing is really final. It's going to be a hack of Sonic 1, but I cheated a bit and just mocked things up for this "screenshot". I'll be back from vacation at the start of next month, so I'll be seeing about getting something playable whipped up then.

As for the comments about the art style, it's simple just because I'm not really a great spriter yet and can't seem to get good results (yet) with more complicated designs, so I'm sort of playing to what I'm decent at and shooting for sort of a geometric, Sonic CDish style.

I'll probably start a topic for it around when I get back, so I'll have some more for you folks to look at soon. Thanks for the feedback!

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    So I wanted to bump this for another question. I am adding a feature for exporting palettes/tiles etc. to images. Right now, it is only set to export to .png. I think that this is the BEST format to save to. What do you all think? If you are someone who would make use of an export feature, would you like to just use .png? or would you like other file formats? I can easily put others in... just wondering if it is necessary.

3. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    As I've submitted my hack for the Hacking Contest due to shortage of time, and because I got some good news in my life recently, I'm feeling generous.

Of course its still got a ways to go. Credits to Selbi for the extended camera code demonstrated in the video but hasn't been done yet for charging the peelout nor the spindash. Apologies to the judges for one of the videos as I realised it screws up so I had to redo it for Youtube. I will most likely upload one more video this week. Please realise that this is still in its beta stage, anything you see as a sign of a bug/something needed to be fixed I proberly already no of and is being fixed, thank you.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Very cool.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This looks really cool! GHZ Past's color scheme reminds me of Sunny Shores Zone from Megamix (which is good). Also, have you ever though of using actual GHZ remixes for the Past and Future versions? I think that would add a nice touch musically.

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    ... What? :ohdear:

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Not what you've done but the extended camera itself. I never understood the appeal of that camera mode from Sonic CD.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Very nicely done Animemaster! I've watched both preview videos and I really love where your hack is going. But I do love the slowed down GHZ music, so if you want to change any of the music, I hope you don't change that. But of course it's your hack, and if you want to then it's all good. :v: It's great to see another Sonic 1 hack with time travel. ^_^ Will we be getting a demo for the hacking contest, or is it going to be a partially private entry? I would love to play it. :)

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Well, I like it for its intended purpose: Being able to see what's ahead of you earlier than with the regular camera system. You usually don't care about what's behind you anyways. The only nuisance in SCD, which I've fixed in my code, is that the camera doesn't behave or reset while being in-air.

Still, in my hack, I give people the choice whether or not they want this feature. It's not my decision, it's theirs.

10. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Thanks guys, yeah I've already got some remix ideas planned, and I may just keep the slow downed(depressed I call it) version of ghz, you know just because. As for the Sonic CD camera I personally do not mind it, though It kinda has to have it considering its ment to be based of Sonic CD heh. At the moment it is a partial private entry due to time contraints, but if I can work on it more I'll try to make it playable for the re-submit update before the 27th. Also for those who haven't seen the second video here it is:

Showcases some music(Not final and not to great at the moment), how the timestone timetravel works, very simple(May try to include a flash), and a sneak peak of bad future hill.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I was begged by two people to post it here too, so um, yeah, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFefE3r8mQA

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Interesting! I prefer vanilla Sonic 1's special stage entry method, though.

13. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Cool Stuff.

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    The level of eye-candiness is too damn high! Please, put it away before I get an artistic boner!

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Hey, haven't seen you here in awhile. I always like seeing your mini-hacks, and this ones no exception. :)

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    There is no Sonic hacking scene without Markey. Way to blow it, Retro!

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very nice work indeed Markey - that stage rendering is done entirely in software, I assume? Pretty damn boss!

I wish you'd post here more. =P

18. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This is really incredible!

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    So those old magazine reviews that whined that Sonic CD could have been a cart were right all along? =P

It's awesome, though. With edited art that suffered less from the pixelation, it'd be perfect.

20. [​IMG]

Minecart for my cave level.
    Yes, it goes on slopes, plus the drill breaks the walls. It's an in-game picture. Enjoy...