don't click here

Sonic 3 And Amy Rose

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, May 12, 2012.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I wouldn't know... but if you do, you may want to fix water behavior... You've played S3 Customizble so I assume you know this, just pointing it out. I hopelessly drowned a countless number of times and rage-quit..

BTW if it helps I use the version of GENS that came with Sonic SAGE 2010. I didn't encounter the IceCap bug though. Haven't tried antigravity.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I know there would be plenty of bugs to fix for such a feat, though managing to switch between Sonic and Knuckles' object data mid level may at least help with a lot of these. Carnival Night Act 2 would likely be toughie though due to both level endings being directly beside each other.

3. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The actual object layout is the same for both characters. It's the level triggers that would need a lot of hard work (and these do create some objects procedurally, particularly egg prisons).
    I've absolutely no doubt that it would be possible, particularly since Hayate already managed to do probably 90% of it, but the thought of actually working it all out is terrifying.

CNZ2 actually might not be too bad. It's an easy fix I can post sometime if you want the egg prison to always appear for him, even if he came in the wrong way; it's then an easy change to make that actually happen for everyone (though you'd need to be careful of potential side effects). Knuckles can still show up and block the prison if you came in the top way.

It's bizarre and unfortunate that original Sonic 3 actually did a better job of positional level triggers in some cases (AIZ1 boss).

One thing that might make this easier to do is just to patch out Knuckles as a player character completely (and possibly Tails unless you want to replace him with another companion). If I wanted to play as Knuckles, I probably wouldn't choose to do so in a hack that focuses on a totally different character anyway, certainly if it adds nothing for his gameplay. :)

Anyway, since I didn't mention it before, this is quite lovely work from what I've played so far. I haven't spent too much time going into it to say a lot more, but the sprites and animations are gorgeous as ever and seem quite solidly implemented.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The CNZ2 fix may be useful in the future Tiddles, thanx. I may look a little more into the routes and data before I actually try to implement this however (I haven't even found the data to break Knuckles' walls yet). Hayate's hack was fun, but that remaining 10% gave a good idea of the problems that I would need to fix.

It would be a cool feature if I could get it refined enough though, and some sort of genuine strength and diversity to Amy's gameplay, being able to choose the most convinient of the two routes.

Glad you like the hack Tiddles.

About the no music suggestion from Crappy Blue Luigi, can't a few emulators just turn it off anyway.

5. ChelseaCatGirl

ChelseaCatGirl

Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic 3 And Amy Rose
    [​IMG]

Here's a little problem I found in Sonic 3 & Amy Rose. Although E-122-Psi already knows since I showed him the screenshot with errors in it.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'll look into that for the next revision (think I know the problem, it's identical to one I had with the Special Stage results sprites).

Is it okay if I add a wiki page for this by the way?

7. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

It would be cool to have a page for this hack, considering the other Amy hacks had pages as well.

8. ChelseaCatGirl

ChelseaCatGirl

Oh my god, you did? Oh, and sure, do a wiki page about it!

Yeah, that'll be cool.

9. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I just finished this. A few glitches here and there (already mentioned in this thread), but it was great and I had a blast.

Now that the final hack is done, may I ask on the status on the Modern-Classic Hybrid Amy and Cream versions of these games?

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm working on S2 Amy and Cream slowly but surely. It's mostly a case of completing the sprites.

I've also been tinkering a bit with classic S3 Amy. Some bugs are fixed here and there and I've also got her able to travel through some of Knuckles' areas with her hammer attacks (but not all of them).

That results sprite might be harder to fix than I thought though, it looks like the Special Stage and VS results use the same sprite, looks like there's something either one likes that the other doesn't. D:

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry for the double post, but NEW REVISION!!! *yay, whooo, yeahh....*

Amy can now hammer through walls to Knuckles' pathways. You can proceed through all of Knuckles' routes that are accessable from Sonic's path. Also a couple minor bugs fixed and some slight modifications to certain areas in Knuckles' route so Amy can't get stuck.

Bugs:

* If you lose a life in Knuckles' AIZ2 or ICZ2 without reaching a checkpoint, you will restart in Sonic's path.
    * AIZ2 has a bug if you lose a life after reaching a checkpoint, then the water level will malfunction and engulf Knuckles' area after a minute or so.
    * Amy has the wrong sprite when falling down to the HCZ entrance at the end of AIZ2.
    * ICZ's walls a bit buggy, you can only break them using a ground attack, and it has a slight delay smashing open.

If there are any more bugs please state them. A lot of special thanx to Tiddles for helping with the path switch coding.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_and_Amy_Rose

12. ChelseaCatGirl

ChelseaCatGirl

Hi, ever since I was playing your latest revision of Sonic 3 and Amy Rose, I found another problem to this hack.
    [​IMG]

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx but I think you pointed out this glitch on the previous page. As said, I'm not sure how to fix this bug since it causes problems with another screen for some reason.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Dunno if it was mentioned, but I noticed the half pipe things in Mushroom Hill are difficult to get through as Amy due to her velocity.

15. ChelseaCatGirl

ChelseaCatGirl

You're welcome, but what I meant was THIS from the latest revision you just did. Sorry that you have that error in that hack.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Some errors I found (applies to latest revision), although the ones with a asterisk (*) I'm not sure if they were intentional or not:

- If you're playing "Amy and Tails" mode and you reach Ice Cap Act 1, Tails doesn't appear at the beginning with Amy. He only appears after you enter and exit a bonus stage (I don't know if he dies after you enter a special stage or if you die though).
    - At the end of the credits (this refers to both the scene when Amy does her end of game pose and the post-credits scene (best ending version) ), both scenes still use the regular "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" logos.*
    - The standard "Team Sonic Emblem" screen is used in the level select preview screen on the saveslots (this is for if you've 100% cleared the game on that saveslot).*

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The sprites haven't been edited yet for the latter two (the ending sprites are well hidden, can't find the files anywhere, while the CLEAR pic I wondered whether to just keep the same). For the Tails bug, my best guess is that the coding to activate him is missing due to Amy using Tails or Knuckles' entrances to the level.

Another Bugfix. Had to upload onto sendspace since the Wiki's being a bitch.

*The level paths properly load after you lose a life in AIZ2 or ICZ2.
    * Seemingly no water bugs in AIZ2 anymore.
    * Amy also falls to Hydrocity with the currect sprite.
    * The garbled Competition Mode sprites are fixed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mc13dt

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I managed to get into a snag with water bugs in AIZ 2, also some rumbling earlier on in the act. I was Amy alone and was on Knuckles path, when I got to the outside stretch, there was rumbling, much like the rumbling after you hit the switch. Soon after getting back inside, The water rose, it didnt go all the way up though, and I managed to be able to finish the level.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Dammit, thought I'd fixed it. Was this at least after you'd lost a life on Act Two? At least then I know there is some consistancy to this bug.

20. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    No. I didnt die at all. Just playing through Knuckles path, Managed not to drown as well, since the water didnt go all the way up like S3Customizable does to you.