don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

With Sonic 4 they had to pay a whole team to make new graphics, music, sounds, and to design levels. With Sonic CD, they only had to pay Taxman, who had already done a lot of the work before Sega hired him to officially port the game. That's what I think anyway.

But yeah, I'm surprised they didn't knock the price up a bit more since it deserves a higher price more than the emulated "ports". Heck, I think I got it for $1.99 on iPhone.

2. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    A most remarkable experience, yet dirt cheap in pricing. I've nabbed this baby for my iPhone and my Xbox already. I keep trying to convince my friends who own iOS devices to get CD, but they're not exactly Sonic fans...

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

I've bought it three times now, one time on the PS3, another time on the 360, and one last time on the PC. I'll be sure to buy it again if it comes out for the Wii U.

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I'd say not only this:

[Although there were other people besides Taxman, for porting, marketing etc.]

But also as it isn't a new game like Episode 2, a lot of people would see it as a classic sonic title and wonder why it wasn't dirt cheap like the rest of the classics, and people might pass it up.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    What?! NO! I bought this game twice already I'm just looking for the gamerip. I heard it was different compared to the official soundtrack and wanted to take a listen, that and I'm helping someone look for it as well.

6. Kilron

Kilron

The Android version surprised me, honestly. I never expected to be able to actually use the keyboard on my crappy Galaxy Indulge. But man, do I hate not being able to remap the buttons. It's nothing short of awkward for me to use my right thumb for movement on the phone, and I will never be able to beat those special stages with the touch screen controls.

Regardless though, I love this game. Bought it on my phone and on Steam, and I still have the SCD original stored away somewhere. SEGA was smart to sell it for $2 on Android at first, it made it easier to convince my friends to buy it too.

7. Does WASD not work for you?
    On my Android (HTC ChaCha, also known as HTC Salsa) I can use WASD for movement.

8. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You should've mentioned soundtrack specifically then. Try about 30 to 25 pages ago in this thread, I believe the MP3 version was not on megaupload and still worked 2 months ago. (It was posted around December 26th)

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thought I did but ok.

I checked pages 98-108 and it was all pre-release talk.

10. Kilron

Kilron

I remembered that not working, so I went to check again to be sure.

Sure enough, doesn't work. Only the arrows will move me. I can jump using numbers 1-4 though, for some odd reason.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I was looking inside the data.rsdk, and noticed within the data/stages/secrets folder
    that there are 3 acts listed here.
    I was wondering what this was for?

As far as download content questions go, I have one,
    Would it be possible to obtain some of the original scrapped sonic CD stage recourses and make a stage or 2 out of that?
    ( Final Fever and R2)
    Hell, if I had access, I'd be willing to work with the assets to make a stage for free !
    As just seeing the zones would be payment enough!

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Those are just the data for the unlockable secret screens. Act1 is Stage Select, Act 2 is Sound Test, and Act 3 is the tails unlocked screen. They are not levels.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I really think the crystals Taxman put on the background shoul be higher. I can barely see them on the lowest parts of the level.

14. Which version are you using? Did you check other keys?
    I just checked again, and I can use WASD and my arrow keys for movement.
    J to jump, and confirm in menus - K, L and the back hardware-key jump as well.

I also realized, that the game seems to access my keys directly, as in raw-access. If I press any combination, that usually returns a special character (I.e.: Fn + 'W' = '1') it acts the same as just pressing 'W'.
    Since I have no knowledge about Android development, I can only guess what that means. Maybe there is an API to read inputs directly.

Can any other Android users chime in?

15. Retroman

Retroman

This might belong in another topic related to Sonic CD, but I see a difference between the original PC-release, this version and other versions. The PC-Release seems abit like the prototypes, having oil slick and the final version (The console one)

http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_cd/sprites/index.htm shows the sneezing animation. The Pata-Bata badnik in Collision Chaos (The Butterfly badnik) that drops the star-shaped particles might have been the one to cause that.
    I think the reason could be finally explained that it meant to be a deterrent for Sonic to serve as a challenge to hit the badnik, but since the game is more of a layout Sonic style gameplay, and seeing that it would be a nuisance, the code was removed but the sprite was intact in all releases.

16. Holy crap, that's the first time I've heard about those Transition Tracks, why wern't they used??

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    There's a delay in switching from CD to onboard audio and vice versa. You can see it when the game has to fade out the past tracks to play the level clear CD music. The original idea was for these to play as soon as the CD track ended, play for a loop or two, then after the CD drive had a chance to reload the music track, stop the filler sound and replay the CD track from the start. It's a very primitive attempt at doing loops on games before adx, ogg and other formats came along.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But then again, this is all pure speculation.

The only thing we know for sure is that those small tracks were in one of the prototypes in the same format as the Past tracks. When they're switched with those, they just play that small bit and then stop. Those are the only facts we know.

19. Well now we also have the hindsight to know how they are used in the remake.
    And correct me if I am wrong, but that particular prototype only included those tracks for levels that used CD audio.

20. Retroman

Retroman

This is a mini-review of this game from me, and oh my gosh it's so awesome!!

I love how quick it is on my phone, running full-speed. Graphics are awesome on my Samsung Galaxy GT-I900T.

It brings back alot of memories, and it had frustrating parts like the original, and rewarding parts like getting 50 rings at the end while destroying metal sonic hologram and the robot generator at each act.

I'm so far playing the second act of Palmtree Panic, and I just like the smooth frame-rate.

Thank you so much Taxman for the engine replication & game port and Sega for publishing this awesomified version!

Only thing is that I couldn't hear the rolling sound/spin-dash sound, but that's very minor as the game plays perfectly. I'm sure the others on the forum might have some real issues they can plot down for updates.

10/10