don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Well, speaking only from my perspective: with more 'traditional' game development, patching on consoles means budgeting more money for QA, getting sign off, starting the submissions process again etc. Microsoft and Sony are much more stringent than say Apple or Google right now so unless the patch required is critical it probably won't be seen as worth going through the gauntlet again.

That said, if any new DLC of sorts were to be added that would open the door for all the fixes to be applied.

2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Yes it does cost that much to release a patch but IIRC, I remember reading the first patch was free or something like that

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    We really need to start pestering Sega for those DLC levels.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Appreciate the swift response to this.

I don't have any tablets/smartphones to obtain an alternate version of the game with, but should I ever cave in and get one, what controllers and currently compatible with the game? Could I plug in/purchase a gamepad to hook up to the tablet, while also hooking the tablet into my TV (wouldn't bother with this on a smartphone, of course)?

I'd buy the game all over with your new updates again if this is possible.

5. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I went to play this again today and I noticed the refresh rate / Vsync is all to pot. My monitor is 120HZ, and the game is just superfast, unplayable. Yet, turning it to 60hz slowed it down but was still unplayably fast. The only solution I came up with was to turn adaptive Vsync on with half the refresh rate on Nvidia's control panel. I remember having to turn the refresh rate down to 60hz when I played it last, but this is the first time it hasn't worked.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've just tried to update the Android version and it got stuck "connecting to the download server".

It previously said that it couldn't find a network available, which is bollocks (I could connect to the store and download the update, after all). Now I can't even close it since it seems to keep auto-executing itself, only not to be able to download a thing...

7. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Holy shit, that's evil! Yeah, I'm kinda hoping it gets patched too! Get on it, Taxman!

8. Thanks for the update, The Taxman. Updated on both tablet and phone (both Android) , and everything works.

If I may, I have a suggestion for the next Android update: could you please make the on-screen buttons disappear if the game is played with actual buttons? I have an Xperia Mini Pro (a phone with a slide-out keyboard) , and the on-screen buttons seem a little redundant when I use the keyboard to play.

EDIT (after Taxman's response) : Thanks! I honestly had no idea I could do that.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    You should already be able to toggle the on-screen buttons by pressing space bar.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I was watching a SCD let's play on youtube a while ago, and I noticed something at Quartz Quadrant, specifically the glowing effect of the crystals in the background is missing, and so are the crystals in the foreground, I don't have the PC/Console version so I can't check on that right now but I'm wondering why is it missing on the Android version.

SCD Android

[​IMG]

SCD Sega CD

[​IMG]

*EDIT* Just watched some videos on youtube and they aren't on the console/PC version either.

11. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    This is as designed. The crystals glow in the console versions (or any version of the engine that uses the software renderer). The limited nature of fake palette cycling on the hardware renderer means that like the water colour, this effect wasn't possible. As for the placement of the crystals in the background, I preferred it that way (as it was in the PC version, makes more sense with how it scrolls vertically). Sorry if you don't, but eh.

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I'm curious about it mostly, and this is probably the only chance we get to get real insight into the development for a game and the decisions that were made.

13. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I'm playing the game at the moment on PS3, and I travelled into the past and arrived after the transition animation without my shield. I haven't played either the re-release or the original in ages so I can't recall it being an intended feature.

But I just got all 7 Time Stones for the first time ever! I rarely bother getting the emeralds in Sonic games as I normally just speed through, so having the bosses as good futures is confusing me mightily XD.

14. So, 40 grand to update Sonic CD, huh?

...Who wants to make a Kickstarter? :v:

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Edit: What about the foreground ones though Taxman?

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    They're on the background now.

17. Kilron

Kilron

This happens on the original as well, but only when you went to the past, IIRC. I could be wrong, though.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The newly announced DLC for Scott Pilgrim made me wonder, rather than just releasing a patch for the Xbox version, perhaps it could come included with some new DLC?

After so many complaints about the random crashes in their game, I'm sure that's what Ubisoft is doing with their online multiplayer and new playable character DLCs (both of which would be a neat addition to Sonic CD as well, by the way).

Ouch, that's odd since the sprites have been scaled properly. Oh well. =\

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    The Background for Special Stage 2 came from the PC version, if the planet wasn't scaled for the change to 320 instead of 256 it was their decision not mine.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I know the Android version was updated a while back, any plans to bring those fixes to the iOS version? I'd also love to see support for the new 16:9 screens if possible.