don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. As mentioned before, it works on the iOS version, and it also works on Android.
    If you are referring to the 360 version, it may not work there, because during the titlescreen no active gamertag and storage device is selected, so the game can't read the setting until you pressed start and selected a storage device.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I too am still waiting on the patch for this game.

Is it still a possibility? I know DLC seems unlikely, but I still consider this patch fairly important.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    There were two occasions in Wacky Workbench (I think it was Present Act 2) where I fell into the floor, right between an incline and the ground. It was a while ago, right when the game was released in December, so I don't remember much. I know there was a Past signpost to the right of the quarter-pipe.

4. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  5. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    It's out now, just search "Sonic CD Lite" on google play. The full version has also been updated to 1.0.3 (1.0.2 as of now, but there was minor bug that I fixed at the last second so 1.0.3 should be live very shortly).

Apart from haptics, and hosting the resource files on Google Play (hooray!) the latest Android version has fixes for nitpicks such as:

- Time required to warp: now shortened by about 1/2 - 1 sec (can't remember the exact amount, but it's now a balance somewhere in between the SCD and PC versions)
    - Getting stuck in some places after warping
    - Monitors appearing behind springs in Quartz Quadrant
    - Not being able to warp with the vertical conveyor belts in QQZ
    - Being able to stand on the very corner of springs sometimes
    - Player sprite still showing when warp fades to white
    - Random death in one section of Stardust Speedway 2A
    - Not being able to warp while rolling between 2 springs in one section of Tidal Tempest 1A
    - And other stuff I can't really remember off hand

Random addition:
    - Special Stage ring now has 8 frames instead of 4 to match ring sprites

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    D: Will we ever see these for the iOS or Xbox or PS3? I really hope so (That QQZ Conveyor belt warp is almost essential for me to get to the past or future)

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Haha! I remember there was a custom sprite someone posted while asking for this haha.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    iOS yes, console I can't speak for right now.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I'm glad at least one of the platforms I have the game for will see fixes. Such a shame how poorly Sega handles patches. This game even has the fixes, yet they still choose not to update it. In fact ever since games allowed for patches this generations, I think (as far as console and PC games are concerned) I've seen Sega release 1 patch for Unleashed (which made way for DLC), 1 patch for Sonic 4 Episode 2 on the PC for screen resolution, and I think that's it. That's just bad.

Oh and by chance did you ever change Metal Sonic's gray eyes to red? Not that it matters just curious.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The lite version runs worse than the full version on my phone (haven't updated the full version yet), Xperia X10 Mini running Gingerbread, the previous Sonic CD version runs at a steady 60FPS while the demo runs at what I'd say are 40-ish FPS, I also noticed that bilinear filtering is enabled despite not being needed at the resolution the phone uses (240x320) while the previous SCD version automatically disabled it.

Unpatched SCD

[​IMG]

Patched SCD

[​IMG]

Notice how the triangles are more jaggy on the unpatched version, my phone is rather weak (729MHz Overclocked MSM7227 with Adreno 200) so it's entirely possible the slowdown is caused by the filtering being applied.

11. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Cheers, shouldn't be a problem to fix. What's happening is the game is using the rendermode that's meant for larger screensizes (I.e. rendering to a separate texture, then rendering that to the main framebuffer instead of directly). The mini's aren't exactly a huge target device as far as testing goes, so it's easy for it to get missed sorry.

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

No problems with that, I just had to point it out :v:

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Just tried to update my version on Android, and I got an error saying XAPK file validation failed, and now my game is unplayable. On an Xperia X10 on Gingerbread.

Welp.

14. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    What version is the APK? 1.0.3? And did it download the files?

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It just downloaded the updater, launched it then immediately failed. Looks like it was 1.0.3.

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    I just confirmed it on my end... BRB putting out a fire. Don't update it yet anyone else.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This isn't so much an issue for the PC, but patches on the 360 (and PS3?) cost money to deploy after the first one - specifically for the 360, it's $40,000 a patch. That's a lot of money to keep throwing at minor bugfixes for a budget title.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It costs $40,000 to fix a game? Jeez no wonder Sega never does it given their horrible financial situation.

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Ok, I managed to sort out the Android download issue. The update should be back online within an hour. I also took the opportunity to fix the X10 mini issue so it should display as it was before the update. Enjoy!

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That's minor but were the Tidal Tempest water balls fixed? :3

Anyway thanks for all the care you put in that game.