don't click here

Saturn: what is the reason for Japan's HSS+HST catalogue prefixes?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by dsrb, Jun 20, 2012.

1. dsrb

dsrb

Just a couple of days ago, I was wondering about the origin of the prefixes HSS- and HST-, used in the model/catalogue numbers of Japanese consoles and games respectively peripherals and systems. I could have believed that HSS stood for Hwatever Sega Saturn, if it weren't for HST directly contradicting this idea. [edit] although Black Squirrel, combined with my mistake I just scored out, make me feel dumb for not thinking of SaTurn [/edit]

Lo and behold, today, one of the many fruits (I exaggerate tremendously) of my wanderings on the internet:
    Does this explain their origin?

If this is a silly or old question, for example having been discussed to death in one of you guys’ big threads, then oops. But I'm interested to know either way. :)

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Do we have any concrete source that it was that guy and that team who designed the Saturn, or is that another internet rumor?

The Hxx-# numbering was in use from the Megadrive, by the way, so I'd say it's a coincidence. Also, some of the Hxx names are not so clear either: why is HAA-# the megadrive?

3. dsrb

dsrb

Ah, OK, so you're probably right that it's unrelated – thanks! Still, it'll be interesting to discuss (or just speculate about) the naming system in general, e.g. questions like yours.

I now realise this thread might seem quite similar to doc eggfan's recent one, but that was all about software, so it may be beneficial to keep hardware talk separate.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My guess is "H" stands for "hardware" much like "G" stands for "game"

HAA - Mega Drive (this is where this naming scheme begins so I guess "AA" is the "first"?)
    HGG - Game Gear
    HMA - 32X (Mars?)
    HPC - PIco
    HST - Saturn
    HKT - Dreamcast (Katana)

5. dsrb

dsrb

*facepalm@self* Of course. The only slight excuse I have is that I got HSS and HST mixed up, thinking they were for systems and games (probably due to the T) respectively, whereas they actually denote peripherals and systems. Well, you might just have ended the thread with that post! unless anyone wants a place for general discussion of hardware catalogue numbers.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Also, HMJ is mega jet. Mega cd was also HAA like the megadrive.

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    And HTR is Teradrive.