don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You know these keys don't even exist in the Sega CD version, right?

You could argue about emulation but, ESC?

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Sonic CD has a special debugging menu just for the PC release that could be enabled by modifying an INI file; this is completely different from the built-in debug mode.

3. dsrb

dsrb

Fuck, did you both really have to make everyone else scroll past a billion huge pictures for no reason? If we wanted to see them that much, we could find your original posts.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    But you could enable said debug mode through one of the menu options!

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But for them to appear you had to edit the INI.

6. Machenstein

Machenstein

I bought Sonic CD for Steam today and some of the graphics are blown up, namely the Sega screen and the pause menu. My graphics driver is already updated, so it can't be that. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Since no one has responded, maybe I should show examples of what I mean.

[​IMG]

The Sega logo is cutoff for some reason.

[​IMG]

Note the Sonic sprite in the pause menu.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

Also, on TTz 2 there's one of these statues that spill water balls on you that is near a spring. On the original you could jump on the spring and sonic would go up as usual. But on the redone version the balls still affect Sonic direction, I hope this gets fixed for Windows Phone 7 at least :(

8. In Metallic Madness 2, in the shrink-ray part of the level, it's possible to time travel by peeling-out/spindashing from a conveyer belt towards an upward spring. After time traveling, you are no longer tiny, and are likely to get crushed very easily. Worked for both Sonic and Tails in the iPhone version.

Is this possible on the Sega CD version?

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I hate to bump this thread, but this is really bugging me. Why is the water in Tidal Tempest on the iOS version a tinted overlay rather than a proper palette change? The console version got this right.

10. I know there's a general thread on this game, but I'm not going to bump it: Sonic CD is on sale this week on PSN and XBLA. I know on XBLA it's 200 points... so 2.50 is a freakin' steal. Not sure what the exact price on PSN is either. I'd imagine it's also half off.

11. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Simple. In order for the game to work smoothly across the full spectrum of iOS devices the graphics are rendered with the GPU instead of pure software like the standard version of the Retro Engine. And since not all the iOS devices support fragment shading, it's not possible to have the same water colour palette.

Why not use the software rendering on iOS?
    - Bad iOS bottleneck transferring pixel data to framebuffer on earlier devices (something like 50% of cpu is used just to shift the data) = shit framerate
    - More work on the CPU = more battery drain

TL:DR There's a perfectly valid and logical reason for this so don't bug me.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Yeah, I kinda figured it was something to that effect, but I thought I'd ask. I guess it'd be too much to ask to implement the palette change on newer devices and fall back to the tint effect on older ones?

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Sega has to pay him so he can do that, this is no fangame, Sega earns $$$ with that, working for free is dumb. :P

Also, glitch fixes are more important than that.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I also wondered this, so thanks for asking and thanks for answering Taxman!

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I'm wondering, since we have this thread, will there actually be any bug fixes for Sonic CD available in the future?

16. dsrb

dsrb

Yes, Taxman has said in the past that he hopes to bring out a revised version (or versions) but, AFAIR, that it does depend upon the publishers/distributors being willing to accommodate the update.

17. Retroman

Retroman

Speaking of updates, two things I want to be implented:

1. U.S. Title Screen version music when making the soundtrack to USA instead of keeping the Jap Title Screen.
    2. Enabling the classic cheat-mode system when you completed the game. Kinda pointless since Taxman, the developer probably was asked by SEGA to make it an unlock system with achievements included, so the original cheat system would be redunctant.
    3. Improved Resolution.

Well I actually suck at Sonic CD levels, and I wish I could use the classic cheat system.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Actually, I'm not sure what version you're playing, but on the iPod, once you've switched to the US track, it will stay and the title screen will be the US versions- Sonic Boom.

I didn't quite get what you meant about the cheat mode system though. You unlock it when you beat the game. Did you mean that for that particular save file you would like the option to then choose your zone by default?

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm secretly hoping the update will also change the initial color for the title screen from blue to the original black. I've always felt that it made up for a more "dramatic" effect than the PC version's blue "light?".

Also, that would help checking if the installed version is the updated one, at a single glance... or something. =|

20. dsrb

dsrb

In what sense? What do you think is the problem at present?