don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Don't mind the error message, it doesn't affect anything. The reason why the level is ridiculously huge is because you probably did not set the units to meters. This is a problem I had recently. Go into Customize > Units Setup... then make sure to set the display unit scale to meters and then click that bar that says System Unit Setup and set it to meters too.

I think you need to re-import the stage after applying the units, but I'm not sure if you need to. I started from scratch after setting the units to meters. Oh, and you can put it back to the mesh shape after this because that's the most accurate collision apparently.

Does anyone know how to make grind rails and such? (I heard it uses splines...what are those?)

2. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I wish it was that easy with any game, but instead we get stuck with coding so much shit.

3. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Agreed. Seeing FyreUK's timelapse videos demonstrates to me the kind of unbelievable things one can create even with limited tools and "building blocks", because the process of creation is easy and intuitive for pretty much anyone with a bit of creativity.

Also, I kinda get the feeling with modern level design tools that there really isn't an opportunity for true collaboration. FyreUK's videos feature large groups of people working together to create locations and structures in mere hours that would take weeks or months for professional teams to create in an AAA game. The capability for level designers and modellers to work on game worlds simultaneously in collaboration, to pool ideas together in tandem over a LAN or over the internet would be a massive boon alone for game development in general, which is something I really don't see in modern game development tools.

With the rising costs of game development, you'd think there'd be people out there trying to develop ideas on how to vastly improve or revolutionize game development tools to help make it easier to create a game.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Maybe a suggestion for our old Mobius Engine? That forum sure has been quiet lately ;)

5. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    ... TO THE MOBIUS ENGINE FORUM! Why the hell did I not bring this up before there, I have no idea.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Man,, all these failed community projects always get me down. Project S to Sonic 2 HD.
    Mobius engine doesn't look to have a bright future if no one wants to work on it.
    Although I think that the generation hacking is proving more of a community project than the others and it wasn't really even trying.
    As it stands now there are no super organized sub forums or anything of that nature going on for generations hacking.
    ( perhaps it would be a good time to start something like that, especially with all the masive amounts of content we have here in this single thread.)

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Oh you guys beat me to posting about it publicly, but I had something of that kind in the works as well. ;D I just need to add some normal maps and tweak the materials.

Just want to point out though, you DON'T NEED to replace an existing enemy's model everywhere on the game(like example the spinners there). You can make enemies that are level-dependent by creating a new entry in the EnemyArchiveTree(a new <Node>), and in the DefAppends down there for each stage, you can append your own(for example, <EnemySpinnerFlapper> instead of <EnemySpinner>). If you create your own archives then in bb2.cpk called #EnemySpinnerFlapper.ar.00 and EnemySpinnerFlapper.ar.00, CPKREDIR will hopefully pick up those entries, add them, and you can have flappers on just that stage, but spinners on the rest.

8. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    The Mobius Engine forums are quiet because Gen is working on some very core stuff, mainly the build system - turns out he knows the guy who writes Linden Lab's autobuild system, and he'd be interested to see it used by other open source projects - the idea is, you can just run autobuild from the command line and it'll download and build everything you need automatically. Fascinating stuff. I imagine things will pick up once the other programmers are able to get started on working on things.

In any case, as I said, I'll post a topic there on discussing how the level design interface is going to work and stuff.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Thanks, Thats good to know !
    Well I hope its going to work out. I worked with Gen back in 2006, hes a good guy and good at what he does.
    I'm working on a few levels for Sonic CD HD remix in Sonic GDK, and Egg Engine.
    hope I will be able to get them ported over to other engines. like the Generations hack and Mobius engine.
    ( however because of the nature of learning so many game engines, I may need someone to work with to get the levels in. ( so much learning overhead) lol.

10. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Thread made, better migrate this discussion over there. The issue of improving game development tools is fascinating, I think, and warrants plenty of discussion.

11. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfEdaAKSnM

Enjoy it or something. Odd level to import but yeah.

EDIT: I need to remove the blossom petals though. Didn't realize I forgot them.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Sawwry, I just saw it on the feed and jumped :(...

Wait wait wait whoa, if I'm reading this right, You can now make your own custom enemys and not just swap out 1 enemy for another but only for certain stages?!

Thats just soo fucking cool. now theres no reason for custom black arms aliens to be in Sky Troops except for the effort it will take.

13. Was this how those red Egg Fighters in an earlier version of Windmill Isle were made?

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'm almost entirely certain that the red Egg Fighters were graphical glitches in Sonic Unleashed. Anyone disagree?

15. Falk

Falk

Bringing it back to the 2D fangame analogy, tilesets are created based upon thematic ideas. The concept of assets applies to building upon a thematic idea, but where the work is too much for one person to handle, hence pieces are built by different people (*cough*sortalikeS2HD*cough*)

Just because someone's blue Labyrinth Zone tileset/spritesheet worked for a certain setting doesn't mean that it'd be copypasta'd all over the place, but at the same time those things are there to further reiterate upon to come up with even more new stuff. If applicable. I guess in a more practical example, if someone makes a couple of buildings in the style of Apotos/Grecian architecture, they're going to be good for that level, not for other settings (not with massive retexturing anyway).

And on the complete opposite extreme there's only really so many variations you can have on e.g. a palm tree model before more become pointless.

16. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    I don't know if I'm the first person to say this, and I certainly don't want to sound like an ass, but I'd be more interested to see completely original content in concern to the levels being created, rather than rehashes or ports of older levels. Not that the ports of SA2 levels thus far haven't looked amazing.

I'd just like to see levels that I haven't seen before.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Then do them. Some initiative can go a long way. :v: That's what it really comes down to...

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    News on an upcoming update to JoeTE's Robo-Sonic skin mod:

19. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Are there mirrors of this stuff anywhere? Of course with the megaupload fiasco nobody can really get anything that was on here. ~_~

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

I guess you're talking about the first post. I don't have the stuff from there, but it's not hard to get everything on the first post if you have the game...