don't click here

Triple Trouble SMS

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Glitch, Jun 2, 2012.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The one on the right also looks much better compared with the caved sections, which end up looking too dark in the left one, IMO.

2. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    The one on the right gives it a better ambiance; lively, but also subtle. It's just better off not being saturated in green.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    In conjuction with a checkerboard pattern, which completely hides the flickering since the dots are too small and both colors are always shown at the same time... Here we're talking about huge pieces of a solid color and the blinking would be very noticeable. It wouldn't be a good idea to do without modifying the artwork.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Oh man, as I told you before, Glitch, I got a dude making me this cart right now. I'm actually about to send him an Afterburner cart tomorrow for him to use as a donor. If you can, please post any updates you make as soon as you make them. I'd love for this guy to use the latest version.

A smarter alternative, but one that would require substantially more work, would be to change the background in those areas to a tile that is a dither of the two colors. If that's not possible, choosing the darker green and dithering it with a white shade would also be appropriate, or taking the lighter shade and dithering it with a black shade. When viewed on a CRT tv as the master system was supposed to be, it would appear as an inbetween shade.

I know that's not really likely to happen given that this is a port, not necessarily a conversion, but that would be the smart way to get around the SMS color palette.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You could just use the new sky color on the holes on the lighter green! Dark is too dark still even if the only option. I made an option to the lighter pallet using this:

[​IMG]

6. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Since the general consensus seems to be that the darker background is better, I've gone with the right-hand image. Here's a new build with the current changes & bug fixes. I've been trying to work on the GTZ palette but I'm not having much luck. The art will probably need editing. This zip contains the level's layout, tile art & palettes. I've included both the GG and converted SMS palettes. If anyone could give me a hand it would be appreciated :).

This project is turning out to be a full disassembly...

Edit: by the way, you can use PAR code 000064:05 to skip the title screen and enable the level select.

7. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    Only problem I see now, is that the mud/quicksand is now indistinguishable from the background. You might have to edit the tiles for that.
    Hows this?
    [​IMG]Left is old, right is new. The contrast is a lot higher, but at least it feels more natural. The sky is the closest I could manage without making it too bright.
    On the subject of palettes, the chaos emeralds load the wrong colors. Are they still using GG palettes?
    Also, the two brightest oranges on the player palette are reversed. This is painfully obvious on Tails' sprites.

8. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    I like the sky colours. That's much better than what I had. I toyed with those two greens but I think it makes the trees look a bit odd.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The right one does look a lot better, less colors merged into one flat blob. The tree looks a bit florescent but the compromise is far better off than how the scenery looks on the left..

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Eh, it was good enough for Green Hill Zone. I think it works all right here.
    I'd be more tempted to somehow recolor the art for the tree trunks, instead, to make them look a little brighter.

11. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    This will probably be the last update for the week: http://www.mediafire.com/?t2gav5ycwc4r3gd

- added MoDule's GTZ palette
    - removed the corrupt sprites from the titlecards (I think there's still a problem with the TPZ titlecard)
    - cleared VRAM corruption on emerald score card

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Using this version of the rom on the reproduction cart unless you get a new version out before construction begins.

Thanks a ton, and are you sure this will run on an SMS?

13. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    This is definitely the release to use if you're burning a cart. You might want to give it a quick test in an emulator to make sure you're happy with the changes.

It runs on my SMS (I was playing it last night) but no warranties neither expressed nor implied...blah blah blah.

The next issues I want to focus are the camera problems. I need to disassemble more of the object logic in order to do that though. Could take some time.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This new palette. It's better than before but
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the darkest rock tone is lighter than the second darkest tone. And the underwater pallette could do with some similar work

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I really appreciate it, and yeah I've given both this and the old copy a spin and prefer this version. If you do any changes, please post your updated rom ASAP because the guy will probably be burning the cart within the next week to week and a half. I'd love to have a super up-to-date version.

Oh, and thanks one more time for all the work you put into this conversion. Playing Sonic Triple Trouble on my real-deal Sega Master System will be a decades-long dream come true.

16. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    On that note, it also looks like you missed the lighter gray. Should I just go ahead and send you the palettes I made? I've also been working on a water palette.

17. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    That'd be great. I'll take any help I can get on the aesthetics.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

This all looks awesome. I love what you're doing to Triple Trouble and hope you keep it up.

Personally though I'd have gone for the light green jungle, but eh, time's expired now!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the wate palette. The current one looks a little flat.

19. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    [​IMG]
    PM sent. For everyone else a quick mockup of my attempt at the water palette. I know the grass should be yellowish instead of blueish, but the SMS palette really doesn't allow for such nuances.

20. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    The ground blocks just don't look right being yellowish. The grass is fine like that, though.