don't click here

The Genesis Collective

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Meat Miracle, May 31, 2012.

1. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Anyone has an archive of this site? It seems to be long dead now, but when it was alive, it had screenshots, covers, manuals, etc for all Megadrive games... supposedly.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think it got the server hacked or something... I do know there were some talks about bringing it back some time ago, but if it did return, it was for a brief time before disappearing forever.

Kind of sad to see Genesis Power evolve just to disappear like that, but at least there's the offline version with all the text but without any images, sadly.

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    OK, then, are there any other sites that have a *full* archive of Megadrive covers, manuals, and cartridge artwork scans?

4. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I'm certain I have all of the manuals that site used to have, it didnt have that many and most had bad quality. I do have the .chm Genesis Collective Database that used to interact with GENS Emu.

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I have the chms. I'm looking for the images. Specifically I'm looking for a complete archive of covers... stuff that isn't edited/watermarked/CUSTOM COVER BY BYRONGOKU666.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I would assume you're out of luck.

The wayback machine has over 4,000 files archived though.
    http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.genesiscollective.com/*

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Yeah. Turns out, most of their pix are too small to be useful for me. I can write up most of the cart art serials at least.

8. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  10. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Yup, heard of that place, that raw folder is cool but doesn't seem to have as many covers as the main site. The main site also has a lot of edited covers.

Black squirrel: any way to batch download those?

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not easily. I mean there might be Mediawiki extensions out there but otherwise you'd probably need access to the FTP. And I don't know the details around that. What's this for, anyway?

Oh and The Cover Project is as the name suggests, a cover project. People supply scans and members of the site turn those scans into covers which will fit "Universal Game Cases". So things are edited to fit the dimensions of those bespoke cases and are cleaned up significantly so that collectors can have a nice display on their shelf. It also addresses the issues with messy and inconsistent Mega Drive covers, of which there are many.

Occasionally I nab covers from that raw cover scans directory, crop out all the tat and shove them up on Sega Retro. I'm pretty sure TCP disposes of the raw scans when it has no further use for them, though the crappier scans hang around for a while.

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I'm trying to make a list of the 67x- serials, which are for artwork, boxes, manuals, even the simplest prints. I have all saturn stuff and all pal mega cd stuff, but nothing else, and I'm wondering if there's a good site that lists all these like satakore.com or the PAL Mega CD Library (that's the actual site title).

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't think anyone's attempted the 67-whatever codes - it's one of the many brain-crippling tasks that needs to be done at some stage.

It's achievable if you're tackling just a small (and inexpensive) section of the library like PAL Mega CD games, but having a full Game Gear library for example is a challenge because the boxes don't tend to survive 20+ years (and the true number of games released in the west is still a bit uncertain).

The only info out there will be lists of games and scans. And Sega Retro probably has the best lists of games and scans pre-Saturn, particularly with the Mega Drive.

15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I know that no one attempted it before, that's why I'm doing it now.

I have info for most if not all saturn and pal mega cd, and I'm sure I could find most sms/gg from smspower. USA mega cd did not have such codes, and I know a few people who have a lot of japanese mega cd titles.

That leaves megadrive and dreamcast.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    and the 32X and Pico

17. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Yeah, I think I'm going to first concentrate on machines that had more than 10 first party titles.