don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    How would you know which things you've overwritten by loading the font art? Or would it just be a trial-and-error kind of thing?

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Using Regen (or any other debug emulator), you can see what art has already been loaded (In Regen, it's Tools > VDP debugger), and see what's blank and you could load the art there. Some art may not appear to be blank though. A typical example is if you go into EHZ and look at the VDP bugger, you might still see some art from the title screen. Obviously, you can use this as EHZ isn't using it.

If there isn't enough room, you can over-write art for your new font, jsut make sure when your font goes, to reload whatever art was there before. Like when you get Game Over in Sonic 2, the font is loaded over the invincibility stars' art (or the sheild, I forget which). When you go back into the level, the invincibility stars are reloaded.

3. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    Could you guys perhaps give me some links to tutorials as to where to start when it comes to replacing sprites and the like? Currently my knowledge of hacking expands only to the basic use of SonEd2 and nothing beyond that. I'm not even sure if I can even edit the sprites of badniks/Sonic/etc from the files that SonEd has presented me with or if there's an entirely different process I need to go through? I kind of assume I need to edit the inject.bin produced by SonEd2 in a diffrerent program and then de-compile it again so that I can continue working within SonEd2... Really I have no idea where to even start.

I'm sorry if this is too noob-ish of a question, all the information that is being thrown in my face is kind of overwhelming for someone who only really started yesterday eheh.

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    SonMapEd is what you'll need to edit sprites. There's a nice tutorial written by one of our Mods on the wiki as well as where to start with the program. :) Here's the wiki page for the program and there's a link on the page that leads to said tutorial.
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonmaped

5. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    Awesome, thanks for that. But are the files that were spat out by SonEd2's Split.txt batch process what I need for this? Or is there a different process I need to go through? I can't seem to find the "artunc" folder referenced by the tutorial.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    SonED2's splitter only splits the data needed to edit levels. If you want to be able to edit everything you'll need to download one of the Disassemblies.

7. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    *Flails* So I've been doing this wrong the whole time and I should have been using the S2 Project inside the dissassembly? Gah! But thank you, I understand now. Shouldn't be that hard to just port over my work to the other project.

8. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    Ookay, a few more scrubby questions or... Rather, requests for guides that I haven't been able to locate myself.

How would I go about adding my own splash screen in Sonic 2? I've seen a fair few hacks with their own splash screen and I'd kind of like to add one, I assume that I'll have to get down and dirty with the ASM files for this but I'm not sure where to start really. I'd also like to find a guide as to how to replace the music; though the few things my Google search turned up said it's rather difficult, especially for a newcomer, however I failed to find any sort of guide to doing so.

I've also got a bit of a problem that occurs when I use two bridge objects in that they just start flashing/vanishing. Could anyone think of a way to fix this or am I just going to have to use less bridges?

Finally, and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but it's worth asking anyway, is there any way for me to up the resolution of SonEd2? Even if it's just a simple upscale without revealing any more screenspace? My monitor is pretty high resolution and I have to use the Windows Magnifier even to work in SonEd :c It's getting kind of frustrating having to constantly be zoomed in and not really able to use my second monitor without zooming out.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If you want a level editor with a resizable window and built-in magnifier, you'll have to use SonLVL, because SonED2 won't ever have them.

And for the bridges, every log in the bridge is a separate sprite, so you end up with too many sprites and it can only display so many at once.

10. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    Hrm, going to have to think of another way to do that bridge then. I guess I'll just make it static, maybe. And thanks, I'll give SonLVL a look c:

11. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Any idea what's causing this to appear in AR1?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm using SONLVL and it's not there in-editor.....

EDIT: it's part of the foreground, not background, and only seems to appear in that spot.....

AGAIN: never mind, some tiles started pointing to the wrong place, which is odd because I've not edited that chunk.....

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I was wondering, how do you guys go about editing the walking sprite animation's frame length (eg. Sonic 1 to eight frames or Sonic 2/3 to six) since there doesn't seem to be data for the angle animations?

13. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Very quick question: What's the opposite command of bhi?

14. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    researching PC-98/X68000 sound drivers
    So it's bls.

15. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    On IRC I was told blo. I'm guessing that's like bls without the same attribute?

16. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    researching PC-98/X68000 sound drivers
    Yes, it is.
    bhi is >, blo is <, bls is <=
    So bls is the "actual" opposite of bhi and blo is the opposite of bhs.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm toying with an attempt to make other Sonic 2 levels 2 player compatable:

Is it possible to add code to make the Hill Top lava earthquakes activate with 2 player as well as 1 player? Or better yet would it be ethical to delete these completely in favor of ceiling-less routes with normal lava pools.

Also I noticed some levels like HTZ2 don't load objects as you progress in 2 player mode, though if you backtrack the levels many suddenly appear just fine. Is this something to do with the object limitations in split screen or some other random bug?

18. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    I want to add the Yadorin (the pink spiky motobug fellow) from Spring Yard Zone as an enemy in the EHZ modification of my Sonic 2 hack, but I honestly have no idea where to start. Not the slightest clue. Could someone please either point me to a guide for creating/modifiying enemies or point me to the right places to look for me to figure it out on my own?

19. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Any Idea why this has happened? The layout sans rings/enemies was fine, added Rings/enemies, this happens, any ideas?
    [​IMG]

Turns out Rings were the cause, Any idea on what specifically caused it?

20. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    ^ How many rings did you add? In Sonic 2, there's only enough room in memory for 256 rings before you start overwriting the memory following it. You can also follow a guide on the Wiki to port Sonic 3 & Knuckles' ring management system, which will give you more room for things.