don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Well, they go in from the top and bottom and go out again. I don't think it's special enough to require an entire animation. :P

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I think it's a great concept. Too bad S3 never did this...
    You think there's a chance Tiddles would do it?

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    For reference, I'm referring to this: http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=679410
    OKAY! So, I held off on publicly releasing this thing, because I wanted to hand it out to a couple people privately first... and get some feedback. NOW, I would like to give it to the world!!!!!

This was only about a week's worth of work. There is no doubt going to be some errors, or things people don't like... I'm counting on it, as I want feedback... damnit! BUT the good news is, IT DOES WORK! ROM tested, and Hart-approved. This is the alpha release of the Sonic Trilogy Palette Editor.

I'm currently working on the interface, an alpha blender for palettes (a la SonED2), and a tile editor. I'm still a little bit new at some of the stuff that I'm doing so it will likely be a bit longer than another week before I release the Sonic Trilogy Tile Editor... BUT Let's just say, I'm hoping this could be that next new tool that people could try out and like to use with their ROMS.

Do you have anything that is not seen in SonLVL or SonED2 that you would like to see here?
    Do you have anything to say about this current utility as it is, and how it should be changed?
    Inquiring minds WANNA KNOW! (Those being myself...)
    DOWNLOAD LINK - Try it out and lemme know what you think! (Hint, you can actually PM me on Sonic Retro from within the program) :thumbsup:

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Download link is broken (it got trimmed? o_O)

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    God damn it... I always fuck up with my links.:argh: OK it is fixed AGAIN. I'm positive this time. It works... please try it
    My link... Fuck my life...

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Yeah something's wrong with the link; it goes to this location fro some reason: http://www.mediafire...ja9dyk2n7i6gnnj/

EDIT: Ninja'd

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [​IMG]

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ NICE. Bout time I gotta say.

9. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    [​IMG]
    So an update on my editor. I have added a tile editor, and it can actually work with REAL uncompressed art from the games. ONLY downside, I have yet to implement the tileset listing into this... so you can only work with 1 tile. I hope to change this very soon.
    [​IMG]
    ALSO, the alt. palette blend feature is not working yet... is that something you guys would like to see in this editor? I know that SonEd2 and SonLVL have it... personally I never had any use for it. If it is not something necessary, I may consider scrapping it... we will see.

Been getting good feedback on the palette editor so far. Glad you like it. It's a start! :D I hope that an open source of this can find its way into the repository in the far future... so that people can edit and use this the way they want to. But, we are getting a little ahead of ourselves there. Baby steps for now. I'll keep you all posted

EDIT: Sonic Trilogy Editor v .02a Release - Took out palette blender for now... BUT tileset support is included. This program only works with uncompressed art for now. I have the tools necessary to work with Nemesis and Kosinski compression formats... now to figure out how to implement them. Until then, enjoy and please continue to support this project and give feedback!
    NOTES: For some reason, adding the tile editor has slowed down the utility immensely. I will solve this solution for the next release.
    Also, the reason for the massive increase in file size, is because for some reason, compressing the file doesn't bode well for running the new API implemented in the game. I will try to find a way around this in future releases.

ANOTHER EDIT: I am aware of the issue involving the API DLL. IT HAS BEEN FIXED! :)

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I am excited to see where this goes. I still think it would be better to remake sadx in a new engine, but I can't disagree with more sadx modding tools =]

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    7/12 editors complete so far.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I knew it. I knew that was your plan all along.

14. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    Soo, I started work on my first hack yesterday. The general idea behind it being a re-make of some of my favourite levels from the Master System games but expanded on a little bit. For example in the first level of Bridge (from hereon referred to as Bright Bridge) I will be adding an underground area akin to the second level of GHZ in the first Master System game as GHZ will probably not be making an appearance. I'm calling the project Sonic Master Mix. I don't have a whole lot to show off yet save for the terrain and fence sprites but I might as well post them here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tails isn't in those screenshots because he doesn't seem to know how to navigate the level, which makes me laugh.

Still a lot of work to do, the EHZ background is obviously going to be changed at some point but that's low on my list of priorities. I'm currently trying to come up with some doodads to place along the grass to break up the repetition a bit without changing the feel of the Bridge zone too much.

I still have a LOT I need to learn, I can't for the life of me figure out how to properly work the graphic import feature in SonED2 despite having read and re-read the tutorials and manual, I can't even begin to fathom how I'm supposed to replace graphics like the title screen or Sonic... Or badninks, anything like that and scripting is currently far beyond me. But yeah!

Current plan is to get a working version of the first stage of Bridge done and then I'll focus on prettying it up a bit more.

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Woah that looks amazing so far! Please don't stop working on this hack. Dx It'll be nice to see what other levels you'll include, what about levels from the other 8-bit games? Also there's tons of tutorials here on how to set things up. I've also answered your post in the "Basic Questions and Answers" thread. ;) And you can always ask if you run into a problem, however I usually don't do graphical stuff in my hacks so I'm not too sure on how to import graphics, so I can't help you with that sadly. (I usually stick to programming. :v:)

16. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    That's awesome! Even though the 8-bit levels were very simplistic and far less gimmicky, it'd be cool to see and play them in a 16-bit style. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

17. CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

Sonic Master Mix
    The only two I have planned right now are Bridge and Underground, I'll cross the bridge of re-making more when I come to it c:

I'm hoping to make up for the lack of gimmicks by expanding the levels to include more exploration elements, each level will have at least one unique path different to the Master System / Game Gear versions.

18. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    This topic just reminded me that I didn't show off the project myself and Ordos have already been working on. I didn't realise there was such a big call for SMS levels so I never really thought to post it yet. This is a version of Bridge Zone created by myself and SpirituInsanum at SSRG. It's a bit more of a modernised twist rather than I direct conversion, but I hope it's not been overdone too much and still looks of a decent standard.

[​IMG]

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ...<plans to steal for South Island project>

I kid, that looks brilliant, definitely a version worthy of the 16-bit title rather then all the direct conversions. I look forward to seeing more :3

20. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Damn, you did not just say it's overdone and looks decently standard. That right there, is gorgeous.

But from the picture you used, it doesn't really show Bridge Zone. The scenery though, is spot-on and downright amazing. I like how you tweaked around Sonic's model too. It looks very promising.