don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I am behind of ths idea

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Been working on this update for a while, it might be quite a bit glitchy/broken though, but I intend to keep working on it as always.

Do a checkout from the SVN or download a new version snapshot from the Downloads Page.

Changelog for SonicGLvl v0.5.2:
    • .mesh to .model converter implemented, includes full skeleton support as well. As long as you follow the tutorials in the help folder, you should be able to import your own animated models into the game, even overriding Sonic's model as well! You can import any materials you want, edit them, etc. For example, Mario Import:
      [​IMG]
    • Initial work into the GIA support. It's not as good as the game's organization yet, but for small scale stages it should work fine for now, so try it out and get used to it! Otherwise you might fail on bigger projects later on. Read over the tutorials in the help folder, as the game needs to use two different type of lightmaps merged into a single texture.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    • Initial work on a COLLADA exporter of the current terrain scene. There's some issues though: 1) It's heavily unoptimized for now. 2) I'm not sure how to set the texture search path, so you'll have to add to your 3D editor to search the textures on the directory of the .dae file. 3) There's only support for diffuse textures right now. Still, with its issues and all, it should be a pretty effective stage ripper for all of you out there who wanted to rip stages from the game.
      [​IMG]
    • Saves to a new optimized vertex format, smaller than Generations' regular vertex format. This lowers the RAM usage in-game by quite a good chunk.
    • Fixed the fake .save material button doing nothing in the Material Editor.
    • Red lightfield bug fixed.
    • Some more bugs and issues fixed that I can't really remember since last update.

EDIT: It's likely there will be another small update after this one, instead of another major jump into v0.5.3, mostly for any issues that arise, and because I would like to add a .model importing option into the scene as well.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Makes me wish I had a PC that could even run Generations, let alone fiddle with it. Thanks for this, Dario.

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Can you replace badnik models while retaining their attack patterns? Such as replacing Egg Robo with a Aperture Turret, and have it shoot Egg Robo's lasers?

5. Dario FF

Dario FF

If you import over the model with the script, then remake the turret around it, it should work pretty easily. Just gotta pay attention you're doing the scaling and all the steps correctly... it's pretty straightforward once you're familiar with it. You'd only have to remake a few animations as well.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If you guys somehow get Sonic Man working in Generations, I'll fucking love you guys.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    SO, I tried to open Green Hill Zone, via the AR options, but SonicGVL quit after it loaded everything. No error message.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works

I'm already rigging the model, I can't wait to see the wacky-ness that will ensue.

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Post the ogre.log here, it likely threw an exception.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Here's the log.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32409323/Rips/ogre.log

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

It looks fine to me except for these snippets:
    Code (Text):
    1. 23:20:10: D3D9 Device 0x[031F01C0] entered lost state
    2. 23:20:10: D3D9 : WARNING - disabling VSync in windowed mode can cause timing issues at lower frame rates, turn VSync on if you observe this problem.
    3. 23:20:10: !!! Direct3D Device successfully restored.
    4. 23:20:10: D3D9 device: 0x[031F01C0] was reset
    5. 23:20:23: D3D9 : WARNING - disabling VSync in windowed mode can cause timing issues at lower frame rates, turn VSync on if you observe this problem.
    What happened here? What windows settings are you using on the configuration window?

Code (Text):
    1. OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource dbooster_HD_arrow-0000.dds in resource group Popular or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 753)
    Not sure if this is even relevant at all, but it should load up fine without the texture. So not sure what is that exception doing there.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I was using DirectX9, but that's the only option available. I had it on Windowed mode as well. I pretty much left the config options default.

13. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Making a Blaze the Cat mod for Sonic Generations.
    Hey Dario, I'm having a problem turning my .mesh into .model.
    I go into GLVL, choose the 'Convert Ogre .mesh to .model' option, choose the .mesh file, choose the .model to save it to and then nothing happens.
    The CMD says "The system cannot find the file specified." What am I doing wrong if anything?

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

What did you use to export it? If you were using Easy Ogre Exporter, did you choose Ogre 1.7 and cleared all the sub-paths?

Also, you're supposed to use DDS textures only.

With so little info I can't help much more...

15. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Okay, I used OgreMax, chose to install 1.7, I'm not sure if I cleared the subpaths (Bear with my stupidity, I'm new to this.) And yes, I only used DDS textures. Maybe it's just a small thing done wrong on my end.

16. Dario FF

Dario FF

Are the textures in the same place the .material and the .mesh file are?

It should work... Have you checked if there's a .model file produced from it? It's not supposed to do anything else than that really, it won't display them inside or anything.

17. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    The texture location might be the problem. I'll get back to you on that.
    EDIT: Well, I managed to make the file, the skeleton, put them and the DDS' into Sonic.ar.00 the game just crashed.

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

You can't just use any skeleton, the model file must have some of the bones the original model has since it's hardcoded for Sonic.

Also, the bones won't get saved to the file from max if they aren't applied to the skin.

19. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Okay, fair enough. I'm gonna read through the guides one more time and then try again. I'll post a video of it as a test if it works.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah so this thing is being passed around:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i2eeqmq3kkf7fmv

What does it do? Well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep, You guessed it:

NOTE: The Supersonics are from an upcoming update to JoeTE's Supersonic Mod.