don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Actually it refers to it as "French SECAM", and France uses SECAM L which isn't meant to be the same as SECAM D. But then again it might refer to the fact France invented the idea

With the Mega Drive 2 and later consoles, Sega just seem to class things as either "PAL" or "NTSC" which seems more sensible, but with the first Mega Drive model, they really seem to be going out on a limb to make a distinction between PAL-B, PAL-I and now PAL-D. I don't know why they'd do this if they were all the same.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    They also just say "PAL" even though there are a gazillion of PAL variants, not compatible with each other.

I think this may matter for the RF unit, since the letter after PAL refers to how the signal is output. PAL itself is the color encoding and it's the same for all the variants. I assume that the type of signal doesn't matter at all for composite (since it isn't modulated), only the color encoding (NTSC or PAL).

SECAM uses the raw RGB signals, I think. In this case the only thing that matters is whether it's 60Hz or 50Hz. The refresh rate is the only thing the VDP cares about, actually (NTSC/PAL encoding is done separately).

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's not the RF unit:

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/gallery/sega-megadrive-pal-eur/IMG_2424.jpg
    Here's a PAL-G console.
    http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b457/Link83_photos/Sega%20Power%20Supplies/UK%20Sega%20Consoles/UKMegaDrive1600-05.jpg
    Here's a PAL-I one. Both from Europe, both play "European" games, even though one's from Germany and the other's from the UK.

basically that screen is garbage and should really say "PLAY ON EUROPEAN SYSTEM PLZ"

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4973/img2398do.jpg
    A PAL-B Asian model

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/gallery/sega-megadrive-ii-pal-eur/IMG_2346.jpg
    this MD1 RF unit handles both PAL-G and PAL-I

so yeah there's definitely a difference. But apparently there's less of one when we're dealing with the MD2 as that doesn't specifiy what type of PAL signal is needed

Also that -15 region code is undocumented which is both interesting and annoying beacuse that invalidates the theory that all "Asian" models use -07.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    A French Mega Drive, going out of its way to point out the "RGB" bit while other EU models don't.

though I have a feeling I read something about a "Mega Drive RGB" elsewhere. I really don't know anything about Mega Drive model revisions - I can't remember if it had something to do with the "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" thing, because that's a factor to consider too.

Tediously I'm almost left with no option but to compile a list of model numbers. But I know for a fact this is long and painful - I ran into someone's attempt at documenting Japanese Saturns and there were at least half a dozen grey models alone. All with different amounts of holes in the side for ventilation. But clearly it needs to be done for the purposes of finding patterns and solving mysteries.

5. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

[​IMG]

Anyone knows the maker of this dreamcast controller? it was released in Brazil by Tec Toy.

edit:

looks like a "Dream Shark Controller" http://www.amazon.com/Dreamcast-Controller-Dream-Shark-Turbo-Sega/dp/B004K5WDI8

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Oookay

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8273/imag0495u.jpg
    identifying the store helps me identify the country

http://i36.tinypic.com/5l1d0p.jpg
    http://i36.tinypic.com/1z65yyb.jpg
    http://i36.tinypic.com/1f73er.jpg
    it's getting compilcated now. This one has a realistic gun on the box, which makes me doubt its legitimacy.

http://darudar.org/var/files/img/52/c6/52c6d32e7aa846034699018f79743926_600.jpg
    is that a Russian seal of quality?

http://home.arcor.de/enots/enots/MD_KARTON.jpg
    http://home.arcor.de/enots/enots/MD_PAD_OBEN.jpg
    http://home.arcor.de/enots/enots/MD_PAD_UNTEN.jpg
    ????

7. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I dug this from the archived Tec Toy site, don't know if there is anything really new here. I copied ipsis literis, it was really in english.

______________________________________________________________________________

1960 - Release "SEGA 1000", the first local produced Jukebox in Japan.

1964 - Merged "NIHON KIKAI SEIZOU" (Japan Machinery Products). Started the production/sales of Arcade Game machine, Pinball machine.

1965 - Merged "Losen Enterprises"
    Company Name: Sega Enterprises, Ltd.
    Stared operation of Game Center.

1966 - "Periscope" had a success in worldwide.

1969 - Became a subsidiary of Gurf and Western Industries, Inc. which is big conglomeration in U.S.A.

1983 - Released 8-bit Home Video Game "SG1000".

1983 - Have invested capitals by CSK Grope.

1984 - Established 100% invested subsidiary "Sega Europe Ltd." For Arcade machine.

1985 - Established 100% invested subsidiary "Sega Enterprises, Inc. (U.S.A.) for Arcade machine.

1985 - Release "Hang On" as bodily sensation Arcade machine first in the world.

1986 - Established 100% invested subsidiary "Sega of America Inc." for Home video game business.

Registered to stock Exchange in Japan.

1988 - Released "Tetris" "UFO catcher".

Listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange second stage.

Released 16-bit Home Video Game machine "Mega Drive".

1990 - Listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange first stage.

1991 - Purchased "Virgin Mastertronic Ltd." and established Sega Europe, Ltd.".

Released "Sonic the Hedgehog".

1992 - Released "AS-1".

Released "R360".

Released "Virtua Racing".

Cooperated with "Light Printing Company".

1993 - Released "Virtua Fighter".

1994 - Established "Sega Lease".

Established Home Video Game distribution company "Sega United".

Established "Sega Music Networks" as communication KARAOKE operation company.

Established "Sega Fahan Culture Entertainment Company, Ltd." in China as Amusement center operation and Amusement machine distribution.

Released 32-bit Home Video machine "Sega Saturn".

Released "VR-1".

1995 - Released "Print Club".

Established "Sega Logistic Servise".

1996 - Established "Sega Game Works L.L.C." cooperate with Dreamworks Universal Studio.

Purchased 5 company in JPM Groupe in UK.

Operated "Tokyo Joypolice".

1998 - Established Home Video Game distribution company "Sega Muse".

Released "Dreamcast".

Announced new arcade machine board "NAOMI".

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    The parts I know in that are correct... though I thought Print Club was handled by Atlus exclusively (it runs on Sega System C arcade hardware) and I don't know AS-1 or VR-1 are and I don't know anything about the corporate mergers and acquisitions. (Also it should be Gulf and Western, not Gurf and Western.)

also "Joypolice" (should be Joyopolis) is probably the best misspelling ever... or would that be "CSK Grope"

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oops wlong lomanization.

10. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

AS-1

AS-1 and VR-1 (Bottom)

Tec Toy had a very close relationship with the japanese side of SEGA, I think the timeline was translated by someone from SoJ which would explain all those romanization errors and the fact it is english instead of portuguese.

-----------------------

Also found this: SoA history

If you cross both you have a pretty awesome overview of SEGA

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Found some pre-unencrypted FD1094 ROMs so
    Code (Text):
    1. CENTER COURT
    2. TIME
    3. TIME
    4. PASSING SHOT
    5. TENNIS
    6. TIME
    7. TIME
    ding? this might actually be used for something else so I'd have to check the code

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So

the AS-1

having trouble tracking down games for it. Seems nobody really pays attention to title screens with these sorts of things. AS-1 units were being installed worldwide around 1993 in all of the many Sega-related indoor theme parks (honestly there's dozens of these things). By the early 2000s most of the parks closed but some are still open to this day, and you can still find AS-1s to ride

there must have been tons of games for this thing. I find it difficult to believe they'd stick with a film from 1993 for nearly two decades. But there's only three that I have found thus far

- "Megalopolis: Toyko City Battle" (video) which I guess was around for quite a while.

- "Michael Jackson in Scramble Training" which has already been mentioned, and is hilarious. But this was pulled fairly early for the same reason he was left uncredited in Sonic 3 - child molestation allegations!

- "A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE". Don't know its full name, only that it exsited.

There's also Sonic Ride (video), the unreleased Sonic thing that was included with Sonic Jam. Obviously we don't know what the actual purpose of this was, but it seems like a perfect fit to me. The fact it's called "Ride" tends to suggest it was never meant to be a traditional "game".

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Going back to the very first post in this thread:

Code (Text):
    1. [20:07] <YellowHeart == Sik> I thought it was "alternate everything"
    2. [20:08] <YellowHeart> Since all the B-Club games were prototypes :S
    3. [20:08] <YellowHeart> Yeah, Sega didn't pay attention
    4. [20:08] <YellowHeart> Remember MIJET had to retranslate them all to match the Mega CD version
    5. [20:08] <YellowHeart> Proof of this: one of the game over situations in Shilka's adventure isn't properly implemented
    6. [20:09] <YellowHeart> You get the Game Over screen, and if you press Start the game resets
    7. [20:09] <YellowHeart> ...but you can also choose to move to another room, and the game continues as usual
    8. [20:09] <YellowHeart> OOPS
    9. [20:11] <andlabs> derp
    10. [20:11] <andlabs> ...if what you're saying is right, that's a preservation nightmare argh
    11. [20:12] <YellowHeart> Well
    12. [20:12] <andlabs> if the mega cd version was a new, on the other hand
    13. [20:12] <andlabs> *new revision rather than a prototype
    14. [20:12] <YellowHeart> We DO know what the upper 128KB should be
    15. [20:12] <YellowHeart> The Game Toshokan ROM
    16. [20:12] <YellowHeart> So don't really worry that much about that
    17. [20:12] <YellowHeart> Er
    18. [20:12] <YellowHeart> Lower 128KB
    19. [20:13] <YellowHeart> The problem is the upper 128KB, which is the RAM where the games got downloaded
    20. [20:13] <YellowHeart> But yeah, MIJET confirmed the B-Club games as prototypes
    21. [20:13] <YellowHeart> There are MANY storyline changes
    22. [20:13] <andlabs> :|
    23. [20:13] <andlabs> and we don't have ad ump of B-Club columns or flicky
    24. [20:13] <YellowHeart> Also some parts are outright broken, like the example I gave
    argh :|
    should I still upload that alternate Nei's Adventure in the Sega Ages 2500

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah so I moved onto LaserDiscs and found that the list is wrong. Hurray.

Quick question for Mega LD fans - front covers. Are there any significant differences between the US and Japanese variants? I know the backs are translated and spine cards are different, but judging from the low quality images I have, the fronts look identical. Are there any little differences that I can't see?

Games in question are the likes of The Great Pyramid, Hi-Roller Battle, Hyperion, Triad Stone and that sort of thing. Pretty much every game released in both regions aside from Road Blaster/Prosecutor/Avenger/whatever

also would be great to know whether these covers name the developers behind the games. I can establish that the vast majority were published by Pioneer but little else is known about them (though I understand "Multimedia Creators Network" made a few).

15. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Was the arcade game Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty released in the US or Europe, or only as Suiko Enbu in Japan? It's an ST-V game, and the Saturn port was renamed Dark Legend...

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Westone fans, my guess is there won't be an answer to this question but

[​IMG]
    (top row, second from left)

"Super Wonder Boy", Gam*Boy version (aka the Korean Master System). I'm guessing it's the Master System version of Wonder Boy (called "Super Wonder Boy" in Japan... not to be confused with the Activision-published versions of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, also known sa Super Wonder Boy).

The box art intrigues me. I've never seen it on a Sega copy of the game, only in Adventure Island, which is the Hudson Soft-published version for the NES.

Master Higgins has Hudson's bee logo on his cap. I'm wondering if this was overlooked when Sega recycled this art for this Korean version.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Probably fake? Where do these come from?

It's also odd to see a Korean Monster World III release, since it wasn't even sold in Japan.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    sup
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kkd/yog/joy_20.htm
    [​IMG]
    Sega SC-3000 arcade machine?

also
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sega jigsaws. Hilariously easy, but also hilariously rare.

19. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
  20. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Does anyone here have either the GEMS SDK drx released or the original source code archive for Mr. Nutz 2? They're no longer available from their source websites. Thanks.