don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Guys it's a model/skeleton/animation test, I'm not gonna make Mario playable. :v:

2. No no, no one is assuming you are.

..but could you?

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Oh, god, I just had the best thought ever

Sonic Generations + Imported Mario model = SOMARI GENERATIONS

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Has anyone been able to import the Egg Dragoon with the model script?

5. Dario FF

Dario FF

Point me to the right files and I'll try it on my editor instead. I've done some work in a COLLADA exporter but I haven't been able to get materials to work yet. (And for some reason Max loads them but blender doesn't even try to load my file)

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I tried to load them in max, with the script, but it gave error.

Unable to Convert: undefined to type: Interger64

Files I used were.
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_top.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_under.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_baria_under.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_brk.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_drill.model

Egg Dragoon is found in bb1.cpk > bne.

7. Last night on our Podcast (the Bancast, it's great!) we talked about what would make a good Mario and Sonic crossover game, and we talked about if Modern Sonic were in Mario levels, and Mario in Classic Sonic levels (yes, a la Somari). Could be a fun hack, but I don't posess the ability nor time to do it. :(

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Fixed that for ya.

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Seems I just did. :eng101: I only replaced the boosting animation with a pose(the .model file is in T-Pose), so it seems to be working now!
    [​IMG]

So it seems I got skeleton support working right now. There's a couple of things to watch out for when trying to replace over Sonic's model:
    • The model converter doesn't read .scene files, it only converts .mesh ogre files(which as well load the skeleton if available), so it will ignore any properties you apply to the node(translation, rotation, scaling, etc.). This means that your havok skeleton and model/skeleton in max should be at their regular scaling(that in max is 100/100/100). If you want to make it smaller, the easiest way to do that is when creating the animations, scaling and rotating the root bone as needed.
    • The Havok skeleton should be the exact same pose of the .model file, with the original scale and all.
    • Animations are kinda lenient since it's handled by Havok luckily, so my converter will have nothing to do with it. Just gotta make sure it's the same set of bones you're animating with.
    • Some bones are hardcoded and need to be there, otherwise it crashes. Bone list of Sonic, not sure which of those are needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

10. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    Sorry to be such a noob, but now I'm stuck on Step 6. Animate.
    How exactly do I do that?
    Do I have to make a custom animation? Or can I edit Sonic's current animation?
    If I can edit it, how do I find it?
    If it must be custom, where do I save it/what do I save it as?

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

If you're using 3DS Max, you can use hkxcmd, which is an Skyrim tool to import over the animations from the HKX files into the model's skeleton you have imported.

You can either make your animations from scratch with the skeleton the model importer has, or import one with hkxcmd and edit it as you want.

For exporting, you'll need to use the Havok Content Tools for max and add the Create Skeletons/Skin/Animations filters, the Prune Types filter for any data that isn't animations, and then finally a Write Platform filter with the parameters Win32 MSVC, strip meta-data, Binary Packfile, as a HKX.

Keep in mind the importer script does some rotation and scaling of its own to the root bone, so you might want to comment that out of it(it's down there in the last few lines). Otherwise the animation won't match the stuff used ingame.

12. Retroman

Retroman

<3 you Dario FF!

13. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
  14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Ugh, just goest to remind me how crappy the animations were in '06. That needs a lot of fine-tuning before it starts looking good.

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    If by fine-tunning you mean completely getting rid off then I agree :colbert:

16. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    Dangit. He took my idea! >:( Thats the reason I needed to learn how to animate Modern Sonic.

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

You can still give it a shot you know...it's not like he did an amazing job or anything.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

That, and someone else created that map, not him.

19. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Also, the running animations arms are too tucked in and stuff. Also needs more realistic models.

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    What you should totally do is import Sonic Man :specialed: