don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Just something I noticed listening to some old music from the 90's

Sounds rather like Launch Base Zone "Go" sample to me

2. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Yeah, and it's mildly interesting how that happens (if you're the sort of person who's interested in that sort of thing, at least).

Any character will deflect projectiles if they either a) have a shield or b) their double-jump status byte is exactly 01. This means different things to different characters:
    • For Sonic, since this is only relevant if he has no shield, 01 means he is performing insta-shield. However, deflection still doesn't happen because Sonic is in an invincible state during this time; the invincibility check overrides the deflection check so projectiles just pass straight through him anyway.
    • For Tails, this is a bit awkward: it means he's flying with some upward momentum, if I remember correctly (I think it roughly corresponds to his tails animating more quickly). This means flying projectile deflection with Tails is totally hit and miss: you would probably expect it to work like his tails doing damage based on the direction with which he hits things, but nope, it happens at any angle but depends on direction of movement.
    • For Knuckles, as stated, it means he's gliding. This is the only character where it makes some vague form of sense.

I came (jumped?) to the conclusion that this code was really meant to implement projectile deflection during insta-shield - it does make sense considering that other shields do it - but it just ended up doing a bunch of other weird stuff. The glide deflection is pretty cool though, and I imagine it was kept deliberately even if not implemented deliberately.

3. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    How… how did I never notice that ever? :psyduck:

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, I've just found a Genesis game that has some similar art to that "lost" piece of map I found long ago in the Sonic 2 proto:
    [​IMG]

Koei's "Operation Europe: Path to victory":
    [​IMG]

...Released in 1994. Could be a very very early version, but maybe not.

It's still possible that SEGA had already released a similar game in Japan, though.

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Did you change it for Sonic 3 Complete? I deflected the red projectiles from that badnik in Hydrocity Act 1 while playing it, but didn't remember doing it in the original.

6. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Yes; I also made Tails behave in a more logical fashion, so that his flying projectile deflection works the same way as his ability to damage.

7. dsrb

dsrb

Although only cosmetic (until someone codes an interactive battling system!), the ability to deflect projectiles with the insta-shield (assuming perfect timing) would be* is pretty cool.

Anyway, this was interesting to read! I always enjoy learning about the mechanics of these games (or at least the examples that are within my capability of understanding!)

* = Edit: I read Tiddles’ statement that “it just ended up doing a bunch of other weird stuff” as meaning that he tried but was dissuaded by complications, without noticing his post above this one.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This was posted in Mean Machines Sega issue #1, dated October 1992.

[​IMG]

Who knows what else has since been re-found (or not) that's been lost to time? =P

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    The answer is terribly hard to read.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Just for clearance:
    YOB: It's the answer to life itself. Treasure it. Nurture it. Preach it. And one day you'll be nailed to a cross.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Found this over at SSMB, found it pretty interesting.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Perhaps the Day/Night bar implies that they originally planned to have a Day/Night Cycle in the hubs?

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It couldn't have happened in real time without loading screens. I don't think the Hedgehog Engine would allow for it.

14. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    I don't know if this is new, but did anyone notice that the dash ramps and trick ramps in Unleashed actually required some kind of momentum? If you approched them walking, you could stand on them. This was a departure from previous games.
    You could also be propelled at varying heights depending on your speed, with the highest being boost speed with the twirly trick.

However, in Generations it went back to being automated, with only two speeds. Stand on it and weep. Normal speed and boost speed. It kind of sucks, but I guess it's to prevent dying for lack of speed.

I haven't played Colours so I don't know how the ramps are.

15. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I know exactly what this dude is saying. Well, sort of. This (not exactly) same thing happened to me, but in Scrap Brain Zone ACT 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F16jbx2VolI[/youtube]
    "I jumped and landed on the edge of the floor. It sounded like a telly blew up and a pink blob popped up." As you can see, just like it happened in my video.

Right, right. I understand that this is the hack Sonic 1 & 2 by collin12, and not the vanilla Sonic the Hedgehog 1, but the same odd occurrence appears in the original game as well. It happened at least twice in the original Mega Drive.

It seems like the collision boundaries (those invisible, solid objects with Eggman icons, which uses Tails icons in Sonic 2 and "GT" icons in Sonic 3 & Knuckles) in Scrap Brain Zone blows up as if they were monitors, if Sonic is forced into them by another object just right.

I believe that the "pink blob" which that player in the magazine clip saw is, in fact, the Eggman icon, which has hints of pink, red and blue in the Sonic 1 palette. The difference is that, if I recall correctly, in vanilla Sonic 1, this odd occurrence does not hurt Sonic (he does not lose his Rings; the Eggman icon just pop up).

"I had not been drinking." Indeed, my friend. You weren't! :specialed:

The ramps in Colors behaves just like in Unleashed.

I also believe this is the perfect opportunity for me to post this. Do you guys know the Asteron badnik from Metropolis Zone? You know, the star-shaped enemy which self-destructs itself in order to shoot it's spikes against Sonic when he approaches?

This badnik is always found in walls, so you can't really reach it. If you could reach it, though, you couldn't be able to kill it due to it's nature (it is a star with pointy spikes). However, there is one occurrence when you can reach to it, and, it is kill-able!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8ibopabHE[/youtube]

You earn points for killing it, and it pops up an woodwork animal, just like any other badnik does! When it self-destructs, however, no animal pops up at all... uh-oh, it means that it probably just kills the poor animal during the self-destruction process... :(

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It explicitly said it was act two...

For some reason they used a monitor instead of a collision object, actually. A monitor with an invalid item ID.

The pink blob is part of one of the enemies actually, which gets used because the item ID is invalid so it uses "garbage" from VRAM. That item ID for some reason turns out to do nothing (are invalid IDs ignored?).

17. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oops, I guess I missed it. :v:

The last time I ever edited Sonic 1, I was under the impression that a collision object was used instead (at least I remember it being used... in Final Zone, that is). Since both have the same tileset, I guess I confused the two in my mind and assumed Scrap Brain Zone ACT 2 did the same thing.

This is most likely the case.

18. dsrb

dsrb

Maybe they were never meant to be destructible and the animal is just a leftover from them not altering the code and overlooking the fact that this one can be reached? If so, we're supposed to think no animals were ever hurt (and, by implication, inside). Will someone please think of the animals

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's only in that very specific place where they used a monitor instead of a collision object. Moreover, it's one area that doesn't need it at all, there are no objects pushing you into that corner or anything like that. The only explanations I can find is that it's either a leftover from an older version of the level or that it's some object that was accidentally added and went unnoticed.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    (there's a page about this over at Sonic cult.

Almost makes me wonder if SUNYATE is the one who wrote in to the magazine.