don't click here

SEGA and Nike team up with a Sonic minigame!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, May 19, 2012.

1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    This is HUGE news, folks! Sonic is in the latest big-budget Nike commercial. See him at the 2:35 mark:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QMv8g8CO4cQ[/youtube]

But, if you watch the interactive version of the video on Nike's official Youtube, you can play a hidden Sonic minigame! Once the video loads, drag the bar to about two-thirds of the way through the video. You will see advertisements of the Nike Vapor shoe on the walls of the soccer field. Click 'em to play the game, where Genesis Sonic kicks soccer balls while wearing Nikes and listening to Sonic 4 music. I'm too lazy to take screenshots, so go ahead and see it for yourself! It's actually pretty awesome, in my opinion.

Sonic history fans may remember that Sega had previously attempted a Sonic-related Nike promotion in the past. Knuckles' chest patch was supposed to be the famous Nike swoosh logo, but the deal fell through, leaving Knuckles with more generic markings. Now that Sonic and Nike are making business deals, I think it's fair to say that he's finally back on top of the gaming world again!

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Ha! It plays nearly identical to Sonic the Sketchhog with Nike ads and a soccer ball powerup.

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Just to keep things in check:

[​IMG]

Cool commercial, btw.

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Awesome. Second go I got 26860, but I can do much better :v:

Looks like Sonic is really starting to become popular outside of gaming again, just like the good old days.

5. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Actually thought that was pretty cool! Sonic's moving back up in the world again. betterthansonic4

Here's a few screenshots if you're feeling too lazy to check it out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Hmm, this is actually the first Flash Sonic game I actually enjoyed playing. Glad to see Sonic starting to become more relevant outside of gaming again =)

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is all kinds of cool, even if it is just a silly little flash game with S4 music. What would you guys say to a full on licensing deal with Nike that saw Sonic (and co?) wearing Vapor or other Nike shoes in a future title? It already happened with SOAP.

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Somebody should extract this from the nike website for preservation. And wikify this. this is a HUGE step for sega, coming back to big marketing licensing.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, it's cool how these guys seem to have put some care into it.

[​IMG]
    Even if this new animation was never in the games, it was actually depicted in some of the old artwork (and the Sonic Jam intro, I think).

Also, crabmeats animate better than in the real game...

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    is there an alternative way to play it? the video won't load for me :( I just can see a green bar in the middle of the page and nothing else

EDIT: uh nevermind...finally the video decided to load and just found it -_-

also lol

dat S4E1 music

11. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I've got it ripped, but it's a bit glitchy for some reason. It is playable, however. Hopefully I or someone else will get a better rip in the future, but this is suitable for now.

Bugs:

-The menu text is corrupted, but it doesn't affect gameplay.
    -After Sonic starts to move, he'll turn invisible and stop running. You need to right-click on the game, and if you're using Adobe flash player like I am, a drop-down menu should appear. Click "play" instead of "loop" to get Sonic moving again.
    -Sonic will still be invisible after you do this, so run him into the first motobug (or any badnik) and he'll become visible. From that point on, the game plays normally. To restart the game, you'll have to refresh your computer's address bar because the "play again" button is broken. But again, the game is playable.

Download it here!

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]
    Those are some good looking, fluid sprites.

edit: The heck did happened to the sign. :psyduck:

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    This isn't the first time Sonic and NIKE are collaborating,isnt it? I remember something about Knuckles white stripe on his chest being inspired by the Nike logo

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

See first post. :P Also, this is kind of cool, but I don't think it's such a HUGE deal. And did it have to be polluted with Sonic 4 music? :(

15. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
  16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Oops, my bad. Now that we talk about knuckles, does anybody remember that early name he was supossed to have? I remember it being discovered a few years ago but can't find it now.

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It's like we're in 1994 again. This is awesome.

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I don't, but I remember he was supposedly going to have a Jamaican accent at first.

19. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    33950 for my first try. The music accelerates when the difficuly increases. It plays nicely I think.

20. Chaos Fusion

Chaos Fusion

Null
    Sega styled Vapour shout, interesting.
    Its not too bad. Since I had to play this on an old version of Flash, Sonic was invisible for the first part till I died once, the menu buttons are in Japanese except they say the "a" symbol and it lagged. Who cares anyway, I had some enjoyment from this and I never knew anything about the last Nike agreement in the first place so this is something uplifting for Sonic. And my score was 44850...I have no life.