don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hell dude you FINISHED a fangame, something thats only been done by a few people (Hez included) in the fanbase! be proud of that. besides you can allways release an updated version, hacks do it all the time.

2. Falk

Falk

I wasn't kidding when I said the ATS demo really took your enemy placement process to an uncomparable level to the opening zones of BTS :U Seriously, there's a tangible sense of accomplishment in ATS when you figure out what the badniks do and how to outwit/dodge/whatever.

3. Klaypersonne

Klaypersonne

You're welcome for the feedback LakeFepard, and I'm sorry that I was so harsh. As Lanzer said, you have a finished fangame and another on the way. Good on you, man, because that's awesome. I was a bit frustrated when I gave my opinions, having shortly beforehand dropped a barrelfull of lives trying to battle past that last stretch of Titanic Tower Act 3, and then quitting in frustration. It wan't until I went back and played again today that I realized I was so close to the end. I'm also retracting my statement about the inconsistent physics. They're fine minus a few hiccups like momentum disappearing when it shouldn't. When I played today, it was almost exactly like playing the original quadrology-ish series of games.

A few more bits I really enjoyed that I didn't mention last time: The Lost Levels Zone, especially the homage to Dust Hill/Winter Hill and the wonderful cut scenes leading into and out of Crowded Cloud (is that the right name?) Zone. Oh, and Act 3's homage to Sky Sanctuary: glorious! I wanted to play more, but at Arcane Altitude, I experience massive slowdown after no other real problems beforehand. I think somebody made mention of that happening to them too, earlier in the thread. I still stand by my quibbles with the art and some of the level design choices, but all in all, this is pretty damn good.

4. Yeah, I think that was me that mentioned slowdown issues. I can't play through the final Zone because it suddenly got insanely slow, even though the game ran perfectly up to that point. Any idea what causes this, and how to fix it? I would really like to be able to finish the game. Then again, I'm going to probably download this new version when it's released, so if it's fixed in the new one, then I don't really mind waiting.

5. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    yes, I know about the problem with the slowdown and there is no way to fix it unfortunately. you can try to play with the small resolution as possible to reduce it a bit but that's it
    it is caused by the effects on the "inside of the death egg" background but when it changes to the outside the game starts to run normally again.
    and, yes, I did know about it and it will be fixed at the SAGE'12 release but, yeah, you got to wait quite a lot.
    Also pretty much all the physics problems can be avoided with some tweaks on the level design but for me to realise that I had to fail at least once =P

@Lanzer
    well, I really want to avoid that, not because of the file size or anything but because one of the most important thing in developing a game is to know when it's finished and to stop working on it.
    So, yeah if it wasnt for falk and his idea of making a original soundtrack there would be no SAGE'12 and this would be the only and the final release of BTS (and it still is btw)

@Klaypersonne
    don't worry
    you were not harsh, I really know how to get feedback

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I understand, you want to feel like your done and moving on from it to create something else. But at least this was a good learning experence to improve upon in ATS.

7. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I'm completely loving this game. I don't find enemies hard to see or figure out. They present a nice challenge without being too frustrating. The bosses are great, too. I like how it takes certain strategies to beat the bosses. I think there's a great balance of creativity within the game. The level layouts are awesome. The mix between platforming and rollercoaster-y stuff is perfect in my opinion. The levels require some actual thinking to get through (ie: instead of just jumping on a button to open a door, you have to jump on a button at the right time to make a laser hit another button in order for the door to open. Also, requiring Tails to fly low to the ground in order to open up a door on the ground is brilliant). This game is just plain fun yet challenging and never frustrating. This is probably the best completed fan game I've ever played. I'm definitely looking forward to Sonic ATS! Keep up the great work :)

8. Falk

Falk

[​IMG]

As the weeks go by this thing gets messier and messier; I have no idea why I didn't just use (or switch to) Excel or something. :U

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Why not quickly throw it into Excel? It shouldn't take too long...

10. Falk

Falk

Maybe I'm searching for alternate routes irl get off me.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
  12. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    I don't really like doing this kind of stuff and I feel ashamed by doing it but...
    hey guyz, look what I've found
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cYX0OFQrg

anyway, I didnt know that fan games get hate just because they are fan games
    this is... kinda of a bad thing, really

and, yes, those comments about "hey SEGA, hire this guy" are just stupid, in my opinion

but there is one just one good thing about this: BTS is popular to the point of reciving RANTS!
    YEAH!... :v:

13. Falk

Falk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSMqDD8OpcA

rofl

14. Matwek

Matwek

Has anyone ever done a "review" without swearing?

15. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    A wise man one said this to me: Haters gonna hate.

Like you implied, the game has earned enough popularity to edge its way outside of the Sonic fangame niche and into other crowds, so they're bound not to like the same things as most of us do. The best thing to do would be to only listen to them if there's a part of the game that's consistently bad for a lot of people, and just take that into account for future projects. ^_^

EDIT: Looking at the comments for that video... Yeah, we shouldn't take this guy too seriously. Over 60% dislikes, and the top comments are just people bashing him. xD; Just proves that if you don't have anything nice to say (especially on the internet), then don't say anything.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I had a go at bashing the bloke too. What a crock of shit, it's not as if this is a funded game and I couldn't see, well, basically any problems he was referring too.

How's this going? I can't wait to play the version with new music.

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Looking at this dude's video list, it seems he hates the entire Sonic series altogether.

Then why review the games? He's obviously using a damn bias steamroller on them.

18. Falk

Falk

In an ideal world I'd like to have wrapped everything up by now, but I'm not an ideal person to start with ( :V ).

Things are definitely on track for SAGE though. There's quite a few tracks that I've posted on Soundcloud that I haven't posted here, since I didn't really want to be the sole bumping power in the thread (plus posting the first 2 1/2 zones already give a good idea of what the music will be like). Also you might get a kick out of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xo3pCkILCg

>$300,000 console
    >fangame music

COLLEGE YEAAAAAAAAAAAUUUH

edit: to mirror description since it's an embed, volume is ridiculously soft on this. Q3HD records in .mov and I really couldn't be arsed with the format because Quicktime is a rabid disease. Just crank the volume.

19. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I wanted to talk to you about that. There is a point where someone is having too much fun naming songs and "World's Largest Unicycle" is that point

20. Falk

Falk

[​IMG]

Tell me it's not!