don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So very close, yet I will wait for the PS3 version to come out. I don't know why, but playing on the TV is just so much more fun.

Those red rings better fucking do something now :colbert:

Also with luck the playstation store updates early in the day, unlike last time, when S4 Ep 1 came out at like 7pm or something ridiculous

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The original preorder download was a beta, wasn't it? Presumably, this'll have some bugfixes (Super Sonic momentum, locked debug features, playable Knuckles, etc).

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Playable Knuckles? wtf are you talking about.

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I just got this on Steam as the WiiU won't be out for a while and I have to play every new Sonic release as it comes out. Not even sure when it's out on the iPod anyway, or if it will even work with my 2nd Gen...

What do I think!?

Great! Physics are much better, and although aren't spot on, doesn't make a difference to quality as it didn't with Generations. A decent title, nice graphics, no glitches encountered just yet, enjoyed the music again, and I like the tag thing, as it's similar to Sonic Advance 3. I'm glad I got to play a proper water stage again too, it's been too long.

What I didn't get was that first boss. What the hell was that thing? It took more than 8 hits, wasn't very obvious in its patterns like normal Sonic bosses either. Quite cool that they've upped the difficulty on this a little bit as Episode I just felt like you could walk through it and get 50 lives. So far not lost a life, not even entered the map screen yet, got three Chaos Emeralds, 13 lives... I'm just too good :v:

But alas, I have work in 9 hours, so I am off to bed.

Enjoy the game.

5. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

In the end the PC version of Episode 2 is like Episode 1 on the PC, 1280x720 is the native resolution, and any other resolution is just a lazy upscale or downscale.
    The game also has no native Anti-Aliasing option, but it's possible to force anti-aliasing through the graphics card drivers (at least for AMD/ATI graphics cards). Forcing anti-aliasing only works at the native resolution of the game though, that is, it only works at 1280x720.

Game at default settings:
    [​IMG]

8x SSAA + Edge Detect Filter (24x Samples):
    [​IMG]

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Now tell us whats the differences between Beta 8 and Final? any real changes to report?!

7. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

I didn't play the beta much, but from the little I tried, other than the graphics bugs from the first zone being fixed, I haven't noticed any changes (for example, rolling still doesn't gain speed when going down slopes).

8. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I was seriously about to buy this of Steam, then I realised that I wouldn't even be able to play it as my motherboards on board graphics aren't enough. This game is hardly Crysis, why does it need a GeForce 8800?

9. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I have a GeForce 9400 GT and it still has some problems rendering it. It will lag from time to time and the framerate is not that good...
    that's the reason I can't beat the last special stage, it will keep lagging no matter what.

10. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

200+ pages of blah blah blah .. blah blah blah BLAH. Hate this, hate that. Don't buy it, SEGA didn't listen to us .. Blah blah blah .. Get it?

It looks great. Can't wait for it tomorrow. If the physics are better than Episode 1, then I'm going to buy it.

Despite Episode 1 being a disaster, I'm glad this is being released so that the developers could redeem themselves of the mistakes they made that pretty much pissed all the old school gamers off. Now, being anal about EVERYTHING is going a little too far. Enjoy it for what it is, people. A good game.

Plus. Sup, Episode Metal?

11. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

For those who don't like how the spindash and spinning sound effects are backwards in the Sonic 4 series, since the sound effects files are similar to the Ep1 files, switching the sound effects was easy to do through hex editing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVocorEcvs

The modified sound effect files (for both Episode 2 and Episode Metal):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?e9qwk528b2718w7

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Uh, 8800 is recommended. 8600 is required.
    Also, 9400 is a piece of crap next to 8800. In fact, the 9000 series was pretty much the 8000 series with the first digit incremented.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    So... Super Sonic still drops like a rock :( (Ezodragon confirmed to me by PM)

Will the red rings do something?

~It's a mystery~

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    So its out on the 15th, EST I'm assuming.
    Will it come out midnight on the dot? If so, Imma go get it now.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Guys, GUYS. I remember specifically that I got a lot of flak from some of you here (page 201) for saying that this was intentional by SEGA "despite overwhelming evidence". I honestly, honestly do forgive you now. SpeedStar knows his shit, son :v:

So is anyone else having problems with the fullscreen in Steam? My game goes 100% faster when I put it in that mode, and everything becomes a Benny Hill-athon. Am I missing something here? :colbert:

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It'll be patched. :(

It's 5 minutes after midnight PST, and I still don't have an install button. What gives?

EDIT: It's there now.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Check the refresh rate in the configuration. It's possible anything above 60hz will run the game logic faster than it should be.

18. corneliab

corneliab

Super Sonic supposedly still being borked doesn't make your defense of it any less retarded. Sorry.

It just means that Dimps is incompetent, surprise.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Doubt it somehow. It's quite clear it was completely intentional by DIMPS/Sonic Team :)

Thanks Taxman, I'll check that out and see if it sorts the issue.

20. corneliab

corneliab

It smacks of an oversight and nothing but.

No one agreed with you earlier because your argument was and continues to be completely stupid.