don't click here

Things in Sonic that don't really make sense

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, May 12, 2012.

1. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    kinda confusing there, I didn't know about that. I thought the Death Egg hit Angel Island after the events of Sonic 3 (you know, when Sonic destroys Launch Base and you can see the Death Egg falling from the sky, then the small intro of S&K when you can see the Death Egg falling into the Lava Reef volcano). Probably it hit Angel Island twice? Once after Sonic 2 and another once after Sonic 3? Because I really don't know anymore lol

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Nah, the Death Egg was on Angel Island already in Sonic 3, in the Launch Base Zone, being repaired from when it was knocked out the sky in Sonic 2. It then fell back down to Angel Island again (which was already in the ocean as seen in the opening of Sonic and Knuckles). Angel Island only started floating again when the Death Egg was destroyed and the Master Emerald back in the hands of Knuckles.

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    ah I see now XD ok then, mystery solved :P

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Better question: why don't his tails get tied up?

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Another curious point is in water zones (Labyrinth Act 3 isn't it?), where when you get to a certain point the water level starts rising... but it some areas when you walk back again (which obviously you're not supposed to), the water level drops again!

But of course yet, the same thing doesn't happen with the rising lava in HTZ Act 2, or when you fill the place with sand in Sandopolis Zone. I can't remember if the same thing happened in Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 or not now, but I don't think so.

6. Sofox

Sofox

I SAW SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN... wait.. no, it was a Gorrilaz music video.

You're not the first to notice that.

Kinda been explained already how the impact of the Death Egg caused the Island to fall into the sea. After Sonic's story, the island is restored to the skies as seen in a cutscene. Then Knuckles' story takes place which, and the end of it, you can see the island still in the sky, just very wobbly. Doesn't quite explain why the edges of the island are sandy if they're not usually by the sea though...

7. The one that really gets me, is why Knuckles moved the Emerald out of the Hidden Palace, and into a wide open area. I mean, isn't that making it more open to attack?

Then about the Super Emeralds, if that's what they were like originally as Adventure implied, then how did they lose their energy? Through Chaos? But then, when Sonic restored them in S3K, how did they get scattered again and return to being regular emeralds?

8. Why doesn't anyone ever mention the alien invasion after Shadow the Hedgehog? Did everyone just forget aliens killing thousands of people and attempting to eat them?

And for that matter, what happened to the fucking moon after SA2? The moon is always seen full again and the moon is still intact in the Shadow boss fight in Generations, which was a tribute to SA2

9. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Yet, Miyamoto realised over 20 years ago that it was necessary. To see the difference that it makes, play Super Mario, then play Castlevania or Ghouls n' Ghosts. The latter have a "realistic" jump, which sucks big time and makes the game much more difficult than it should.

Maybe because both Sonic Team and the characters themselves are trying to forget that god awful game ever existed?

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Yeah that's the most annoying thing. Just a mention of the aliens that froze millions of people on earth and crushed people in their cars and ushered in a new world order with GUN lessening it's military prescence in it's aftermath would be nice. Even if it wasn't the best game in the world.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Since Adventure, I always assumed Sonic propelled himself forward by spinning mid-air a lot quicker than usual for a bit, and uncurling as a result of not hitting/targeting anything. Adventure also shows somewhat that the animals sort of do have some kind of protection from the affects of the badnik destruction (that green orb/shell around them).

Perhaps this is possible because Sonic & co are actually flipping forward/backward. This is especially reinforced by the jump animations in SA2.

Quoted For Truth. To reinforce this, take a look at the original Big Arms boss. This is the first boss to damage Super Sonic, via literally body slamming the rings out of Sonic directly. Being caught mid spin by robot hands would also certainly catch Sonic off-guard.

Here, one could assume that Angel Island was not always airborne, and thus has always had sandy edges from when it was submerged long-term. The other option, is to assume that Sonic and Tails actually landed and entered Angel Island through a very large bay or lake.

Hilariously, I always thought of that as a "let's not ever talk about this" thing among the cast.

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Isn't this implied in Sonic Adventure, actually?

13. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Wasn't it two guys outside Sonic Team who wrote the dialogue, also for Sonic Colours?

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
    And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time~

-ahem- ouo;

Yes, it's kind of part of the story. Angel Island was lifted up after Chaos was sealed in the Master Emerald, so those with bad intentions would have more difficulty reaching there. Well, since back them aircraft didn't exactly exist, to Tikal it seemed impossible.
    The reason why there's an echidna pyramid in the Mystic Ruins jungle is that the Echidna tribe had a great army led by Pachacamac [sic?] and expanded their borders a heaps lot.

But the mystery of Hidden Palace (the one of Sonic 3) - why aren't the Emeralds stored there in Sonic Adventure - is still unsolved. I know that having Chao in the Hidden Palace sounds and would look strange, but still, what's the reason of moving it? They could've given the Hidden Palace a minor redesign, like bushes and other sorts of plants would grow through the walls, maybe have some sand and water and grass too. And little stone houses for the Chao.
    With all due respect, and I don't want to look like someone with ego problems, but doesn't my idea sound better than the lame shrine in the middle of open space? =w=; It could work as a Chao garden design, at least...

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    How everyone's A-OK that there are just a bunch of big, floating golden rings arranged in various patterns sitting around their town/city/villiage/etc.

15. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Zinos, this is topic description. Topic description, this is Zinos. :v:

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I thought this was explained already in canon, wasn't it? Angel Island, I thought... was originally part of a continent...
    And, when Sonic and Tails arrived, it was taken out of the sky by the Death Egg.

Or I'm mistaken...

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Oh, yea... things that don't make sense in the Sonic universe...
    Sonic is supposed to be the fastest thing alive... well, I gotta say, if the classic games proved anything, Eggman is the fastest thing alive.
    That fat bastard outruns him every time.

Also, the mere existence of Carnival Night Zone... discuss...

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Yeah, basically, long ago, Angel Island was part of a continent thousands of years ago. The Echidna tribe there and another Echinda tribe somewhere else fought a war for the Chaos Emeralds. Knuckles tripe lived in the area of the shrine that housed these emeralds and kept them safe. Pachemac, the elder echidna, wanted to use the emeralds one day to ensure total power of the continent and the tribe. They went to steal the emeralds, hurting/killing several Chao in the process, angering the Chao god Chaos. He used the emeralds in a fit of anger to transform and kill the tribe, and wreck havoc for a few minutes, bfore Tikal of Knuckle's clan, who was good freinds with the Chao, sealed Chaos away in the Master Emerald, thus restoring the Chaos Emeralds to their place. Knuckles is somehow the ancestor of one of these Echidna, likely Tikal, and it has been passed down to him through generations to protect the Master Emerald and the Chaos Emeralds.

After sealing Chaos, Angel island was lifted in the air by the gods to keep it safe from anyone who wished to use the power of the emerlads for their own deeds. The emeralds somehow scattered and got lost over time leading to Sonic finding some of them in Sonic 1, and all of them in Sonic 2.

As an interesting note, South Island & West Island from Sonic 1 & 2 seem to have close ties to the old tribes, as their Labyrinths and ruins are scattered throughout in places like Marble Zone (Marble Gardens) and so forth.

The clan that opposed Knuckles ancient tribe also disappeared, reappearing in Sonic Chronicles. They were responsible for the creation of the war machine Emerl and other ancient technology.

Hope you found that interesting :v:

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I always thought it was a natural phenomena that always existed in their world (people are thus used to it). This is made more possible by seeing that many of the economies in their world use rings as a currency. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic himself had a bank account somewhere (probably set up with Tails, which would explain how he pays for some of his tech supplies and such).

20. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    What doesn't make sense is how you have Sonic and all his anthropomorphic animal friends.. all of which are unproportional to each other based on they're realistic counterparts. And then you have all the regular realistic animals roaming their world alongside them.