don't click here

Things in Sonic that don't really make sense

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, May 12, 2012.

1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I wasn't sure how to word the title of this, as pretty much everything doesn't really make sense! I guess it's kind've the things we've take for granted that we see all the time, which we may not really think about scientifically (obviously because this IS a fictional game in a fictional world, but it's fun to compare it with reality sometimes).

It'd be interesting if someone created a topic showing things that does actually make sense as well! I.e. could *anything* in Sonic be scientifically plausable (ignoring the whole 'Sonic on Earth' side of it)?

I've got a large Sonic Generations poster on my wall, and in the background of the poster is that rocky 'mountain' with a waterfall coming down from it. When I see it, I keep thinking to myself "how would that actually work in reality?" This is the picture that got me to make this thread:

I could assume that it's some sort of geyser, but even then the rock formation wouldn't really explain it either. Whatever it is, it certainly can't be a lake up there anyway!
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants to be facetious, the subtitle explains it already.

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Don't worry, we all understand what you mean, and anyone who wants to try and play on that can go to hell :v:

Yeah, I never really got how Angel Island can have waterfalls on it which constantly replenish despite it being above the cloud layer and as such away from rainfall. That's kinda wierd, isn't it?
    [​IMG]
    Note: This image shows it in the cloud layer, but it's actually falling.

Does anyone know how marble floats in lava either!?

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I was about to respond to that by referring to the Ice Cap Zone... but every time you look at Angel Island, there isn't any-where on the island that you can see a large portion of it covered with ice (apart from the mountain's tips).

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I could be pumice.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    While a blue hedgehog that wears red sneakers and runs fast is an oddity all by itself, I was probably a fan of Sonic for nearly 10 years before I realized that he has one giant eyeball with two pupils.

Also!

-How does Sonic still readily grind rails despite his lack of SOAP shoes?
    -When Tails spins into a ball, how do his tails stay attached according to his movement?
    -If classic Sonic in Generations was taken from the Sonic 1 era, how did classic Tails also get swallowed up and seem to know what was going on?
    -For that matter, why CAN'T classic Sonic talk, while Tails can?

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    His shoes appear to be general purpose now. It could be assumed that the soles of his shoes are not rubber but some kind of flexible metal-ish god knows what. I thought of it too but didn't care to question it.
    Well consider that levels from Sonic 1, 2, and 3K were consumed, so it makes some sort of sense that Tails was consumed as well. What actually confused me is why they didn't include classic Knuckles and Amy.
    The developers kept Sonic silent as a tribute to the original games, but that doesn't make any goddamn sense either. None of the characters talked and it was because of hardware limits, not because they were written that way. Sonic talked a little in Sonic CD and had full lines in the OVA. Many things suggested all the characters could talk, so if they were judging based on the fact that there literally was no dialogue, then Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik should not have made a single fucking sound. Just one more reason I hate Sonic Team of today and their relentless torrents of stupidity.

7. Falk

Falk

It's one thing to not make sense; It's yet another entirely to be impractical.

[​IMG]

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Yet, shockingly, it's not entirely unseen in the real world:

[​IMG]

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think he's talking about the booster. :ssh:

10. gold lightning

gold lightning

There has been only one thing over the years that has really made me scratch my head.
    Why the hell can Sonic survive in the vacuum of space with no oxygen for as long as he wants to while he cannot withstand 30 or more seconds underwater?

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I think he's talking about the road, which no ordinary car could traverse, nor does it need to exist like that even if cars could.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He just may be talking about both!

13. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    How the fuck do Tails' tails work? Wouldn't his tail bones be broken if he tried to rotate them?

14. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    How does Sonic do the homing attack? He somehow THROWS himself through the AIR while he's in a BALL. And than he somehow homes onto robots, and why doesn't he kill the animals that come out of the robots. If he can destroy robots by curling into a ball, why doesn't he kill them by accident?

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    For that matter, moving left and right in the air when you jump is technically IMPOSSIBLE.

16. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    WHY, after over 20 years of killing him, is Robotnik STILL ALIVE??!?! (Kind of a joke question, but still lol)

Another thing: why does Sonic have to go and re-find the chaos emeralds with every single new adventure? I understand that in Sonic 3 Knuckles punches Sonic and takes the emeralds so it kind of makes sense that you'd have to re-obtain them there - but what about Sonic 2 and every other sequel? It's like Sonic never found any emeralds each time a new sequel comes out. Also - just how the hell did Knuckles injure Sonic in the beginning of Sonic 3 when he jumped out of the ground? It's fucking SUPER SONIC for crying out loud! If anything, Knuckles should have died when he came into contact with Super Sonic! But no...somehow he was able to hit Super Sonic AND snatch the emeralds. lolwut

17. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    actually, if you complete Sonic 1 with all the chaos emeralds, it shows a small cutscene where Sonic spins the chaos emeralds and then they dissapear in a blink, and leaves Sonic confused as of what happened, probaby the chaos emeralds returned to their original place to balance the world after Robotnik did his thing and then in Sonic 2 you have to retrieve them again because of that, that's my only theory as to why you have to collect the chaos emeralds again. And yeah, I cannot understand how can Knuckles be more powerful than Super Sonic in the S3 intro. My only suggestion is that Sonic had his guard down and wasn't fully using the powers of the emeralds, as I interpret the intro as him playing around with their powers to transform into Super Sonic and race towards Angel Island.
    And speaking about Angel Island...if it is a floating island in the sky, how is it possible that it has a beach? When you watch the S3 intro you can clearly see Sonic arriving at a beach, and considering the events of S3, the Master Emerald hasn't been stolen yet by Robotnik so the island should be floating when Sonic arrives...

18. Chaos Fusion

Chaos Fusion

Null
    Well, heres my list of things that baffled me
    Sonic can defeat Egg fighters with one hit while the werehog requires multiple attacks to kill the same enemy when the werehog is meant to be stronger
    Sonic can still see where he's going midair despite spinning at extreme speeds
    Charmy is meant to be a bee so why is he almost the size of Cream?
    The whole where does Amy store her hammer
    and lastly, how Sonic can die from small pits but he can survive dropping from the stratospher(Sa2)

19. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I think it's mostly a matter of gameplay. Bottomless pits inevitably leave Sonic in a position where it's impossible to get back up, at least in a decent amount of time. So, if Sonic didn't die from bottomless pits, you'd get situations like that notorious spike pit in Mystic Cave Zone every time.

A similar situation in which the gameplay demands Sonic just die for no reason is when 10 minutes pass in the classic games. I think it'd make more sense if he just made an "aww, bummer, Eggman got away and I won't be able to stop him now cause I took too long" pose.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Yeah, after useage, the Chaos Emeralds scatter. In Sonic 1 they were incomplete because the 7th wasn't there, thus when used, they returned the landscape to normal and whisked off. With all 7, Sonic seems to be able to control them and send them off at will, which is why every every game they disappear again. Sonic Rush kinda explains this a bit because Sonic can control the power to stop negative effects, like the world collapsing in to itself when they're near the Sol Emeralds.

From what I can tell, Super Sonic can have the emeralds knocked from his graps when Sonic is caught off guard. He can take the biggest hit to the face from an interdimensional being but he's never surprised like that by them. Knuckles is also very powerful, and Sonic would have been going at such a speed with his guard down.

Lastly, it's explained in the manual that when the Death Egg hit Angel Island, it knocked it down in to the sea. Robotnik tricked Knuckles in to helping him set off again by stealing the Emeralds from Sonic. Eggman would have stolen the Master Emerald from Knuckles anyway and Sonic would have been toast, but it didn't work out like that.