don't click here

SSF: "Disc unsuitable for this system."

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jason, May 4, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    After seeing a post in the SaASRT topic for some Saturn games I've never played, I wanted to go try them out. However, upon procuring some copies of these games, I mounted them appropriately and went to run the emulator. "Game disc unsuitable for this system." I downloaded the latest SSF version. Same error. Fiddled with the area code and BIOS. Same error. Converted the image types. Same error. Tried some of my current library of games. Same error. Burnt games to real discs. Same error. The only game I have working in my library for some unknown reason is NiGHTS, disc or image. Everything else has simply stopped working. Why would this be, and how can I fix it?

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Dumb question but is NiGHTS of a unique region compared to the other games? Is it the only US, EU, or JP game for example? I don't know if SSF has a problem with regions of games but...maybe?

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I can confirm that Christmas NiGHTS is region-locked, if that contributes something.

4. Jason

Jason

Sonic XTreme prototype also works, and I'm pretty sure my copy of NiGHTS is NTSC-U. In fact, all of my games are NTSC-U.

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Possibly the copy you got is crap, or not even a valid saturn game.

6. Jason

Jason

That wouldn't explain why games I've had for a long time that have worked in the past, no longer work.

7. dsrb

dsrb

All Saturn games are region-locked. SSF doesn't give a shit either way. I very much doubt that's the problem. Especially when one considers that Jason has already tried messing around with the related settings.

8. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    SSF started storing the settings for each game separately a while ago. So if you set the emulator to USA mode while playing Nights, it'll stay in USA mode only for that one game. You have to set the region per every title, use one of those region-unlocked modded bioses, or disable the bios altogether.

All the proper bin/cue rips of Nights I have (jp, usa, eu, kor) boot in SSF just fine. The only limitation is that if you use a real disc, it locks up before the boss fight due to timing differences in the cd hardware. That's why the SSF main page even mentions that for the best results, you should rip your own original disc into an image and mount it for best results.

Not all. Region coding is optional on the Saturn, though nearly all games indeed used it. I'm not sure what stance Sega had on this, if they enforced region coding or not (like how Microsoft specifically mentions that its optional on the 360). Sega themselves may have enforced it, making a few multi-region titles slip through only by accident. Either way, here's a list for games that work on multiple regions:
    http://www.satakore.com/regionfree.php

Incidentally, Nights is just one multi-region title that works in both usa and japanese machines.

9. dsrb

dsrb

I knew that unaccompanied “all” would come back to bite me. ;)

Now this was interesting to learn, or re-learn if my vague memory serves (and the only such game I have; apparently my Japanese copy of PDZ is an exception). Thanks for the information!

10. Jason

Jason

Can one of you just PM me a copy of your SSF files that work with the following games, or at least the configuration files?:

NiGHTS
    Christmas NiGHTS
    Astal
    Clockwork Knight
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic R
    Sonic Jam
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Rayman

Best part? The image of NiGHTS stopped working, but the disc still does. So, if MagicISO is the issue, what's a good alternative that you have proof of that work in mounting these games?

11. dsrb

dsrb

Did you try to simply disable the BIOS altogether or edit the settings for the specific game, as suggested?

I have no idea whether MagicISO is causing your issue, but the free version of Daemon Tools is always a good bet.

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I'm using some older version of Daemon tools lite and it always worked fine.

For settings, go to the EZ Settings tab on the configuration and work your way back from the highest to lowest ones.

But I'm telling you, you either have the region code wrong, the wrong drive set, or the cd image you mounted is not even a valid saturn game.

13. Jason

Jason

Afwer a lengthy expirimentation with the BIOS, nada. After a very (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ moment, a downloaded Daemon Tools just to cover all of my bases. Surprisingly, it seems to have fixed most of the compatibility issues. Christmas NiGHTS and Sonic Jam mount in Daemon Tools, but continue to say "Disc unsuitable for system.", but play the Red Book Audio in the Saturn player. Rayman doesn't run at all, and doesn't mount, so I guess that one is corrupted. Any suggestions?

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
  15. dsrb

dsrb

For those wanting to play Rayman, it was only broken by one of the newer versions of SSF.

http://www.segasaturn.org/Japan%20update.htm
    http://www.segasaturn.org/USA%20update.htm

Just use a version from before 0.11 Alpha R1 with EZ Setting at Low Compatibility. I've done this. Can't be sure exactly which version you'd need, but just hit up shima's archive of old versions and work your way backwards. (Plus, it's not like you couldn't use that old version just for this, before anyone objects because omg outdated.)

16. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    By "one of the newer versions" you mean all of the newer versions.

17. dsrb

dsrb

Yes, but I meant compatibility ended in some version whose number I don't know. You got me on ambiguous wording :rolleyes: