don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I'm gonna agree. Sonica's being fantastic about getting support and ideas from the community, but he should draw the line where he feels it right. He's already vetoed the walljump, and that was more because the discussion was getting confusing.

Also, how do you want me to send this to you, Sonica? PM or can I just post it here?

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'm going to ask you to PM it for now, but I'll let you lot know I'm going to make some external forums just for all the sorts of extensive discussion including levels, so once I have that up, you could post it there. I'll save this place for... the normal fangame things.

Oh and this doesn't mean it's a community project, it will just give people some more organised room to voice their opinions.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe

Your game, your rules.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Regardless of this not being a"community project" I do feel as though this has become a solid community think tank. Look at the stuff that came up with the Walljump. After some mostly civil discussion of it's mechanics we got a polished idea of how to implement it (and also how not to). Even if Sonica decided that it was a no go, we still came up with a mechanic someone else could use. I'm more of a thinker and a doer it seems, so it's great to have a place to throw out ideas. I'll wait until Sonica gets dedicated forums set up before tossing out anything else though.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'm more than happy for people to give as many ideas as they want (and to criticise, I just didn't want to inflate this topic), but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and start posting art (not meaning scribbles or concepts).

Once I get those forums going, you can go wild with ideas, my friends!

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Even if people were to flood in and start posting stupid ideas, it really won't be a problem. Sonica's in charge here, and whether idiots like it or not, he's got final say over what goes into the game. Someone says "Sonic should be able to super by eating a graham cracker", Sonica gives a flat no, end of discussion. If it really becomes an issue he can ask a staff member to step in.

7. winterhell

winterhell

The problem with the flooding and whining people is that they may potentially get on Sonica's nerves and he end up shutting the contribution and feedback gates ( kinda like with you-know-which other project that went private)

Btw I like what I saw so far.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I know this could be considered a serious conversation, but you lot do come up with some funny things!

I get how it could be ok for me to manage things here, but I would honestly prefer all the strong discussion to happen elsewhere, which is what will (hopefully) happen, so people wont have to scroll and click through this (potentially huge) topic to look for updates.

9. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I didn't come up with that joke, it was a reference to this video:
    http://youtu.be/zGiNj5SFmJs

(By the way it would be a good idea to avoid using any idea that comes from this video :v: )

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonica started out helping the then-open Sonic 2 HD, if memory serves me correctly. And you know, his stuff for this project is leaps and bounds over what he submitted for S2HD - and I liked even that. I've stated I'm a fan of this already. Keeping my eye on this'n. ;)

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh yes, feast your eyes on this, almost my first S2HD art (before I joined):
    [​IMG]

Edit: And as I got better (2010! Clinging on to S2HD hopes!):
    http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7694/rexon.png

12. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I have a collection of interesting real world locations, that I based some zones of my now dead Sonic project off of, it died along my old Performa's PSU. I kept the images in a memory stick that's uploaded to my current PC. I still add to the collection. It's mainly brutalist architecture, powerstations and superfund sites, buildings that I thought Robotnik would create in his dystopia. If you would like them I can PM a DL link to you.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    Too much like Sonic 2 HD? I really cannot think of another way of doing it! I think it's different enough but if you feel I'm stealing the 'design' then I guess I see your point.

Hopefully this is ok though.

14. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Doesn't really look good. Also S2HD 'stole' the design from that first Sonic 4/Project Needlemouse trailer, no?

I don't believe that there is a need to make the rings any different that they've always been. This one that you made does look kind of cool, but the shading is weird, it's like it has a darker outline onto it that ignores any light, like a cartoon outline and the ring is just the skinny yellow-ish part. Perhaps if you make it less darker on the outline and use the famous metal-look gradient type of shading:
    [​IMG]
    (The 6th one, to be more precise)

Perhaps you can even give it some texture. Of course nothing that makes it looks like rough gold that were just extracted from the mines and wasn't polished or whatever, but just a little bit to remember the player which material the rings are made of.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I had an epiphany about Sonic's new move while I was watching the first episode of AoStH, when he uses his "Triple Spin" to dig out of the pit. How about a super-powered spindash that will let you burrow underground and find new routes and items? It could be Sonic's way of getting to special paths that Tails, Knuckles, and Amy can't get to. Sort of like the Drill Wisp, but more "focused", I guess.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Knuckles makes a better digger/burrower if you ask me.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'd agree with you, but I just thought it'd be a good way of giving Sonic his own paths. Knuckles can already get those by breaking through walls and such.

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I could see some Sonic CD Palmtree Panic Borrowy transport like thing where Sonic busts through the side of the backdrop though. That has to be the one act gimmick that's most forgotten.

19. Retroman

Retroman

This been said alot here, but.
    People should just contribute ideas if they want and not just "Oh, do it this way!" because

a) It doesn't work
    and
    b) Things get done with one person, rather than a team disagreeing with each other, especially when it's an online thing. Trust me, making a game by yourself is much easier and productive than a team.

It's his game. You can voice your opinion, but this is no Sonic 2 HD, and don't expect your ideas to reach (Not that it's an original game, it's a fan-game). This is more of a brainstorm here just for fun.

I like his art styles. Actually who cares what they like, it's ultimately up to the author, and he shouldn't please others, he should do things that please him, and him only.

Sorry to sound like a mod.

An idea I've got is for the running animations. When he runs, his eye brows are sharper and down, giving him the concentrating look rather than the blank Sonic look from Sonic 2 HD.

Also the beta Sonic 2 running animations might sound pretty. Just Ideas.

20. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I never thought in a million years that someone would reference a video I've made.

You are right though.