don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. dsrb

dsrb

>money
    >expensive
    >purchase
    Since subtlety isn't working, maybe this is just about close enough:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WAD_files

2. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    In that case, go nuts

3. corneliab

corneliab

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I'm throwing my two cents in anyways.

You know what? Deal with it. This is a valid complaint.

Expectations for numbered titles are different than others, and if people do not find these expectations to be sufficiently met, they're going to wonder why a given game was numbered to begin with, and maybe even feel misled.

Take NSMBW, for instance. I love this game and think that it has some great level design. I'm willing to look past its shortcomings (bland visuals, generic and wholesale-recycled world concepts, an overworld structure that pales in comparison to World/4, etc.) since these are things that I don't value terribly with respect to the NSMB series. I don't really like them, but have grown to accept that they come with the territory.

If NSMBW were called Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5), however, I would be much more sensitve to these shortcomings since they represent an atypical step back with respect to the progression of the SMB series. The game remains just as "good", but my perception of it is nonetheless altered due to its afflilation.

If Sonic 4 was named in a way that didn't implictly suggest that it would be a progression from its main numbered series, some of its more infamous qualities would probably be the subject of less ire.

You're getting hung up over semantics. That revised statement is what is expressed to begin with.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    When you said "blow your wad" I thought you meant throw your money around or something.

5. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Well, at least someone finally hit the nail on the head. The fact is, how can you work at Sega, make this game, play it, and not even think that the fanbase will despise it (which I highly doubt). Unless they are that stupid, they're only in it for the money.

The classic series was highly coveted.. and the fact that these people, who were aware of the shit they were putting out there, slapped the name Sonic 4 on it when it is in no way a continuation of Sonic 3K, is a disgrace to the series.

On top of that, they took Sonic CD and slapped sequel to Episode 1 on it. Everything taking place in this game is obviously seperate from the others. Just because it's a 2D side-scroller on the big consoles doesn't make it a sequel to the original 2D side-scrollers.

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Does this make the game not Sonic 4 anymore because we were disappointed with the crappiness and cheapness of the final product? No. This is the point I was making; people are saying that its not truly 'Sonic 4' because it sucks (and is certainly not what one would expect out of a numbered sequel to S3K). Truth is, Sonic 4 finally came out, after so long, and unfortunately turned out to be a cheap, cash-in game. Its like people are in denial about that fact, and don't want to accept that the sequel to their favorite game ever sucks. Story-wise, this game is a continuation of Sonic 3K whether you like it or not (and I'm pretty sure they planned it as Sonic 4 from the beginning, knowing people would buy it); it however, seriously failed to improve upon it's predecessor gameplay-wise at all.

It's a sequel to the original 2d side-scrollers because it was named as such, as well as the fact that the stories are directly connected. Somehow, you've completely missed/ignored this. It's not a very good sequel, mind you, but its still 'the' sequel.

7. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Yes. I know. We all know. Does no one get the point trying to be made here? This was a game only made to cash in on. They lie to your face about wanting to bring back the Sonic we all knew back then.

They knowingly do something blatantly stupid, and act like they weren't aware of it, when it's obvious as shit that they were. Then, they play the give us your feedback card, as if they don't know what to expect.

Officially, it is what it is because Sega said so, it's their game. The point is, it shouldn't be the way it is. That so hard to comprehend?

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I'm pretty sure we already had this "Should it be called Sonic 4?" debate two years ago and came to the conclusion that who gives a shit? It's called Sonic 4, maybe you don't like that, but that doesn't matter. Arguing over it accomplishes nothing.

9. Can we finish this subject? Yeah I brought it up, but can we finish this by saying that Sonic 4 is called Sonic 4 and we can't do a damn thing about it.
    EDIT: Whoops, my bad, Guess Who beat me to it.

10. Sonic 4: Ep 1 on Xbox Live is 800 Points today! Not sure if it will stick to that price, but if not now is the time to buy it to make sure you get that Episode Metal DLC.

11. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    [​IMG]

Down the highway, not on the side of the wall, folks.

Also, just look how happy he is.

12. corneliab

corneliab

Episode 1 HD is such a wash. The graphics are more in line with the console versions sure, but it still has the stupid loop camera, minimized background layers, and the weirdass mobile/beta behavior for the classic running animation- you know something is wrong when you consider yourself lucky to ever see it.

13. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    O_O can I be as cool as he is?

and other than that...it looks way better this way. Not sure if it will work on my lousy iPod Touch...

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

This version? Nah, this is the iPad version, seperate from the other iPod/iPhone ones. You can still do the glitch though. :v:

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Here I was hoping there was an update to the iPhone/iTouch version. :argh:

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That'll be lucky, I can't even get Episode II to work on my 2nd Gen in its current form. :colbert:

17. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    oh...well, I have it on Xbox and computer and my poor iPod doesn't have more memory...so I guess I'll hold back on getting it for iPod then, the only moment I could play it is in my way to work while I'm sitting on the train but I have Episode I for that and I usually end up playing Uno instead :P

Irrelevant post is irrelevant.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's because all it is is the mobile version of E1 with better quality models and textures.

19. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Yeah, it's just Episode 1 for Android devices, the image was taken from my tablet. (ASUS Transformer Prime) I downloaded it for my phone, and it immediately turns down the quality of the models. (Sonic Specifically.)

By the way, the update to the Android version just made it possible to run on ICS operating systems. Looking alright though!

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I never really get a chance to play my Android version because it has to download all the files every time I start it up. This is keeping me from purchasing mobile Episode II.