don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Would it be uncouth to ask where I can find these samples? If so then this post can be deleted. I'd love to use some in my final project for uni.

EDIT: If someone does point me to it I don't mind mirroring it for the community.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Zero-G Datafile 1 (MP3 320kbps):
    http://rapidshare.com/files/126837120/datafile1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/126844854/datafile2.rar

Zero-G Datafile 2 (CDDA):
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142995190/ZGDF2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142968458/ZGDF2.r00
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142983130/ZGDF2.r01
    pass=vstclub.com

Zero-G Datafile 3 (CDDA):
    http://rapidshare.com/files/143024386/ZGDF3.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/143006337/ZGDF3.r00
    http://rapidshare.com/files/143016399/ZGDF3.r01
    pass=vstlub.com

I'm using these in my Sonic fan game. Called dibs first!!

3. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    You absolute king. I'll grab them when I get back to my flat and have actually working internet.

4. Zero-G Datafile 1 (CDDA):
    http://bitsnoop.com/zero-g-datafile-1-cdda-ethno-q13895360.html

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any activity. There is one seed!

5. dsrb

dsrb

Are those the ones that someone has cut to single samples? I don't think I could face the original format of multiple samples per track.

And anyhow, could someone mirror them as single files? RapidShare, multiple parts, laziness, download limits, etc.

Edit: Not that this matters much, since I'll probably just download them out of some weird sense of posterity and never do anything with them… :ohdear: Well, you never know! Thanks anyway.

6. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    ok so this article says that Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis is built off of the Sonic Advance engine. it's explanations make sense, but I would love to see a source or a dev saying so. Any links I could be pointed to?

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Genesis

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Unfortunately, they are in their original disc format: multiples samples together in a single tracks, multiple tracks per disc.

For the time being, the best I can do is to convert the CDDA tracks to 320kbps MP3 in order to (drastically) reduce the size of the downloads. I'll mirror them later.

I wish there was an audio program which would remove the silence between the samples and automatically slip them into individual files. I know that Image-Line's SliceX does a pretty good job at automatically slicing the samples in their very zero-points, but (I think that) Slicex doesn't save the sliced samples into individual files.

About this collection, I'm surprised to hear the drum loop sample from "Pump Up The Jam", "Planet Rock", "Bust A Move", voice samples from "The Breaks", the "Hey!" from Sonic CD and the "Will you stop playing with that radio of yours? I'm trying to get to sleep!" sample from Jet Set Radio. :O

And... Sonic the Hedgehog series sound effects. Really, there are a lot of sound effects from the Sonic games, but not in YM2612/SN76489 quality. It's like the sound effect programmed in the Sonic games were based on the sample contained in this collection.

8. I have the first disk where all the samples are separated. But I really want the 2nd disk, because I've read it contains more Sonic CD samples. It seems the sound team really liked using this!
    "(Palmtree Panic Bad Future)

ZG2 SPEECH 5

(Palmtree Panic Bad Future ELEVATOR)

ZG2 SFSPEECH

(Collision Chaos Present)

ZG2 SPEECH 5

(Stardust Present)

ZG2 SPEECH 2

(Boss Theme)

ZG2 SPEECH 3
    ZG2 SPEECH 5
    ZG2 GUITARS2"

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    @dissident93: I have all 3 discs on my laptop. I can link them in a PM if you're intrested.

10. dsrb

dsrb

Endri: Thanks anyway. I got a DF1.rar that has folders for each track and then individual samples inside, but I've only glanced at it and really can't say if the cutting is any good. Brief Googlan’ isn't throwing up anything good in the way of DF2.rar, DF3.rar, etc.; actually, I can't even find where I got DF1. Ultra confus

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    [​IMG]

Where in the Nick Arcade ROM is this? All the wiki says is that it's there. Thanks.

12. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Thats in the Nick Arcade ROM? It looks like a level map from Xevious. :P

13. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    It's part of a map left over from presumably the cart upon which the game was built over. Recycling and all that. [I can't remember which game]

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    I know that I'm asking where in the ROM it is :| I was planning on using it for both placeholder art/test art for VDP code and to find out where exactly it came from

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I don't remember exactly where it's located, but I know it's not in standard "4bpp" Genesis tile data format. I seem to want to think it was 8bpp indexed? Regardless, for use as tile data you'll need to convert it anyway, and at that size it'd probably be just as easy to convert it from that image instead of digging out the actual ROM data. Actually, gimme just a minute and I'll load up Tile Molester and see if I can find it.

Edit: Ok. In TM, set it to 8bpp linear and two-dimensional. The data begins at $1C324 and appears to end at $1FFFF. It also looks like it's clipped on the edge, if you try to tile it side-by-side the "road" that's colored grey on the wiki pic is broken. Added the location to the wiki.

16. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    I did a search for a portion of that data on a complete MD set and a mostly complete SNES, SMS, SG-1000, GG, and TG-16 set and got nothing except the Sonic 2 prototype, so hm.... And gah the clipping would make it sorta useless then :/ Does anyone know of an alternative? Thanks anyway.

data: 0a0204020202020202020202020202020202020608080808080808080806020204020202020402020402020402020202 ($0001f5f0)

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    It being 8bpp chunky two-dimensional makes me think it's for a non-tile-based platform, possibly VGA/MCGA DOS? Wouldn't be anything from the Amiga as it would be planar in that case.

Also, just thinking, those bytes seem always have the upper nybble as 0 - perhaps it's from a MCD game, data intended for the "1-byte-per-pixel" mode? The bitmap as seen on the wiki certainly doesn't look like it's anywhere near 256 colors.

As far as the clipping goes, gimme a few minutes and I'll make a version that, while not 100% authentic to this data, wraps correctly. I'll post it as PNG and let you handle conversion to tile data.

Edit: Ok, here we go. Got two versions, one at 2x pixel size like the image on the wiki, and one at 1x pixel size. Both are 256x256px, and the latter is tiled so that you can see it does tile properly. Just did a little cut'n'paste and shifted a piece around to make the river part tile as well as the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The CD soundtrack for Sonic Adventure (and Sonic Adventure 2) contains the jingles for speed shoes and invincibility in at least twice the duration of the track used in game. I have carved up the OST tracks for the SA1 jingles into pieces which reconstitute the OST track when fully reassembled and when selectively put together form the Game version in lossless glory rather than lossy ADX or WMA compression.

SA1 item jingles.7z

The playlist files OST.m3u and Game.m3u contain the correct lists of parts to form their respective versions.

Hey You! It's Time to Speed Up!!!
    sections: 3
    game parts: #1, #3
    extra to OST: #2
    This song has what could be called one repetition halfway through, and of these two halves there is a structural halfway point to each. In the game version of the track, the portion from the first quarter point to the third quarter point was deleted leaving the beginning of the first and the ending of the second.

Invincible ...No Fear!
    sections: 5
    game parts: #1, #3, #5
    extra to OST: #2, #4
    The melody repeats eight times in the OST track. Of those, repetitions #1, #6, and #8 are used in-game.

Plenty of other tracks on the OST were trimmed down in-game, such as the Theme of Tikal. Another interesting bit of trivia is that the Theme of E-102? and Crazy Robo (E101? mk. II boss battle) flow together like one continuous track.

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    All things considering, any chance you can mirror these any time soon? Waiting an hour for something under 60MB is not ideal, whatever anyone says.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    UK comic artist Lew Stringer (Dandy, Viz, Toxic Magazine and others) once tried out as an artist for Fleetway's Sonic the Comic but was rejected. I don't know why, I think it's pretty good work.