don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Hill Top was done, LOst didn't implement the art they asked him to though.

2. Falk

Falk

Inaction kills interest.

Inaction sets people up to find other pursuits.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    What is there to "learn" that can't be "learned" by a PrintScreen capture or two?

4. Volpino

Volpino

What they actually did beyond Emerald Hill.

If you want a blatant version of my real interest: There were several threads in the original community project forum where people submitted all kinds of art for all kinds of levels. The main reason I had so much interest in this project was because of the art, and if it isn't going to get finished, I'd at least like the satisfaction of seeing how the levels MIGHT have looked, and then seeing if they were even better than the original community submissions, because Emerald Hill and every other asset was.

5. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    OHHHH, sorry about that I forgot there was a fangame that had a similar name to your project, sorry.

Could have sworn someone made a post about remaking that game though, but then again I'm probably mistaken, good luck on Time Twisted though, looks good!

6. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    That's not what I was asking you. If you'll notice, I only quoted the part where you mentioned the animated tree leaves, and "learning through example". You can stop the leaves from moving by taking one or more still screenshot(s) with PrintScreen. I don't know what you are trying to learn, or what "example" you are talking about that requires you to have the complete raw data

7. Volpino

Volpino

I think you're reading too far into that part of my post. I used it as an example to demonstrate what a pain in the ass printscreen is, and besides, the last post I made has the most relevance, I didn't think you'd still be hung up on that part when I explained why I was asking.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    I'm not "hung up on" anything. When I mentioned PrintScreen, I was responding directly to something that you said yourself, and immediately after you said it. That doesn't seem irrelevant to me. Also, you weren't "demonstrating" anything about PrintScreen because I had to mention it for it to even come up, and if you feel it's "a pain", you must be pretty lazy.

If you want me to comment on the thing about the unused content, though, how about I mention how it's just as easy to ask them for that specific information rather than for them to turn over all of their raw materials, and how that might even meet with more success?

Aside from those points, I get the feeling that you're reacting as if you're the only person I was talking to with regard to assets begging. Are you the one and only person that's doing that?

9. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well, those news are kinda bad to me. I joined Retro because of S2HD back then in 2008 and I remember creating a tons of shit for this project, I even took part in the staff, felt the drama and listened to people before taking my leave because of life itself.

However I feel that both the staff and the community gained a ton of things and learned a lot from this project. Not just negative things, but also positive. Art direction, Music Enhancing, Recreation methods, Physics discussion and a ton of general Sonic knowledge was displayed on the forums and on the project itself.

So, farewell S2HD. I hope your assets not to get lost in the dust of the electrons found in the internet. Or whatever :v:

PS: My avatar, being a HD Chaos Emerald since 2008, for you.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Shame all of Saxman's contributions and hard work went entirely to waste because of LOst's faggotry with the demo.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I kinda wasn't expecting something like this coming (because fangames are waaay at the back of my priorities). Needless to say, it's quite sad, it just looked like this fangame was FINALLY getting off the ground after what, half a decade, and it sucks that all of the effort that went into it went to waste. Also sucks that this happened shortly after SMBZ's cancellation. :/

Then again, something like this was bound to happen eventually if a programmer like LOst was going to end holding the project hostage for two years with nobody putting a initial stop to it. Not to mention the project management conflicts and the fangame's overall troubled production.

*sigh* Well, at least I have Megamix, Sonic 3 HD, and the recently started Sonic 4: As You Imagined It. Or are those games going to go down the crapper too sooner or later, like how 99% of ambitious fan projects do?

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Here's a question. Why was the demo released the way it was if everyone knew that they weren't working on it anymore? Why announce that the project was going closed if it was over? I don't like being cockteased.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah it does make me curious as to why everything sounded hunky dory A-OK in the first post then just gradually went into a nosedive into the canceled pavement. if these problems were all well known before hand, shouldn't the first post been more upfront in saying frankly "We are having issues within development and may not continue, heres what we got so far, enjoy."

Haha, Megamix being canceled. Your silly, stop being soo silly.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You mean like how the game was done last year and they didn't just come out and say that LOst is hoarding the fucker? :v:

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    LOst is such a dick that if they did that, he might have permanently held it hostage out of spite. :/

16. Retroman

Retroman

I really like L0st's engine (And that other dude's code for multi-audio format, kudos to him!), but I really think he should also release it since the project is cancelled, obviously with him having the code and tell people to credit him in addition to anyone in the open-source community/non-members updating his (port to be more precise) programming engine. I don't think it's anyone's fault, there's no point swearing at lost and stuff.

Last post relating was

"I downloaded and played the Alpha Release just now. It acted just like it should. No broken files.

The engine's name is NakaSMK (combination of my pixel perfect idol, Yuji Naka, and the "SM&K" initialization string used in Sonic & Knuckles), and is the file Sonic2HD.exe. That is the portable part, takes care of graphics, input, sound, file I/O management, and the user interface. See it as the Megadrive/Genesis hardware.

The game is all run from S2HD.DLL. That is the cartridge. To have more than one cartridge, and to connect them (locking them onto eachother) is a possibility.

The physics can never be 100% like the original. The game is based off Sonic 3, with some changes "for the good" to limit some actions to Sonic 2. But it is a complete rewrite of a rewrite, more closer to something you would see in New Super Mario Bros DS/Wii/Mii. The key rule of the engine and game is pixel perfect movement. I have several proof that Naka had this rule when he first created Sonic, and throughout his Sonic engines.

Some this to note about the background:
    The background now has the mini clouds that were originally in the design of EHZ (as seen in the earliest mockup).
    The background uses the best implementation of original Sonic's technology, which is from Sonic 1 Version 2's Marble Zone and Scrap Brain Zone (but not Spring Yard Zone, hehe)!
    The technology also uses a very cool thing from Sonic Advance 2's Music Plant, which was only used there, and never reused, BUT totally kicks ass, especially performance wise.

There are minor chanages in the level design. Some of them are forced, because of the data used is not 100% like the original. Some objects have been moved. Most slopes are generated with higher precision and real angles instead of being hand made like in the original, thus the experience you feel is a little different. I do agree that while some choices made things better, others made things worse. But there is no way of doing everyting perfect, as if you push something in one direction, alot of other things fall apart. Finding the right balance is a hard job of days and sometimes weeks. If you look for bugs, you will find bug, and that applies to original Sonic as well. Please remember what an Alpha version stands for.

I'll try to upload a smooth gameplay video within the weeks that follow. It is too early for me to show gameplay from my point of view (I simply have too much to show and talk about)."

17. zemulii

zemulii

Nobody is "begging". We're asking what the story is for heaven's sake. Why do you people always have to put a negative spin on everything? You're really nit picking the poor guy's posts.

18. Retroman

Retroman

Oddly enough, printscreen worked for me without any problems. I took a screenshot when in full-screen.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I would be lying if I said this news didn't make me terribly depressed.

20. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    I'd say that if anyone were actually putting a "spin" on anything right now, it might be you

^ You even quoted that bit yourself. Pay attention.

And speaking of paying attention:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.