don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'd suggest making the camera less shaky when Sonic rotates the world. It's a tiny bit disorienting and non-fluid. Other than a view collision problems (I've gotten stuck inside the level geometry, particularly behind the waterfall with columns of rings in front.), this is a very fun piece of software you've created. (As I've said numerous times before)

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    you can display the frame rate by pressing ~ to pull up the command console
    than type STAT FPS, and press enter.

Yeah that Waterfall glitch was due to a modeling mistake on my end, Forgotten 1 face on the invisible collision geometry. sorry guys !
    the camera shaking thing when the level rotates, Lets see wheat we can do about that.
    P.S.
    There will be many bug fixes in the next tech demo, Hopefully ^__^

3. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Oh, I never ended up saying anything about the progress! Here it goes:
    This is actually quite nice, I'd say. Although there are a few instances where I've gotten Sonic to float just above the ground and walk around, as well as have seizures on walls (although I believe you said you could easily fix that, IIRC). Personally though, I think the crouch for spindashing (in an X-Treme based game anyway) is a bit awkward. Maybe a Sonic Adventure-style spindash charge would be better; I recall seeing that type of spindash in some X-Treme videos anyway.

Other than that, keep it up! It's looking great so far.

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I tried this out on my PC and managed to get an average of 53 FPS.

The specs are
    CPU: AMD Athlon 7850 2.8 GHz
    GPU: Asus Nvidia GT 430
    RAM: 4 GB

I enjoyed the concept. I also liked the 32-bit look of the graphics, it really did remind me of my old Saturn. The only issue I found was that Sonic felt a bit slippery to control at times. Overall, a great demo.

5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    61.99 FPS according to the in-game FPS counter. Awesome stuff. :)

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6400+ dual core 3.2 GHZ
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 (1 GB version) slightly overclocked, GPU clock is 825 MHz Memory clock 722 MHz
    RAM: 4GB installed, 3 Usable (needs replacing)

So yeah, it works perfectly well. Nice work, I hope to see this expand into a full blown game.

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Care to reupload this to a site that wasn't just taken down by the FBI? Really want to give this a shot, this is the most-complete-looking Sonic Xtreme fangame out there.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah,,, the next time its re-uploaded will have some fixes,, I won't have any time for a re-upload for maybe about a week or so.
    As, at the moment I've switched over to finishing up a Mini project that I started a long long long while back,,
    A Retro styled 3D Greenhill level,
    Resumed doing this because of 2 game engines, Xak's Sonic GDK(which AXSX game runs in) and Damizean's Egg Engine (fan remix engine)
    I started this level back in around 2007ish for use in the old AXSX engine which was on Game Maker with Ult3D Plug-in for rendering.
    The original purpose for this level was to make a playable environment to visually gage how accurate our physics systems were to the original sonic 1. ( apples to apples compression)
    The current purpose is still the same ... hopefully it will help improve AXSX as an end result.

EDIT:
    Hmm.... you guys probably want a screenshot to go with your post huh ?
    I haven't started the background yet......
    [​IMG]

AND YES!!!!
    If you have UDK (SONIC GDK) you will be able to build your own levels just by snapping the pre-built chunk pieces together with-in the UDK world editor, even non programmers can do it ! !
    [​IMG]

8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Two things

1) If you're going to stop using fog and/or not put in any background scenery, stop using that ugly-ass sky sphere and use a sky dome texture instead. It'll be MUCH more appealing in the end, trust me.

2) I actually don't suggest using 3D chunks... I asked Damizean a while back about a similar method versus a single mesh, and he said chunks will add extra draw calls, which can slow down a video card pretty bad if it's in excess. So I guess the chunk system could be used as a template, and then all the meshes could be aligned accordingly and made into a single static mesh... No?

EDIT: Whoops, spelling error that made me look retarded/self obsessed/something bad. Sorry :specialed:

9. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member

1. The background isn't made yet. It's coming don't worry !
    I didn't think anyone would nitpick something so trivial as including the default sky in a WIP screen.

2. yeah what Damizean says is correct.
    However performance shouldn't be to much of an issue. even with the additional draw calls.
    The chunks are for people who want to build there own layouts who don't know how to model or program but want to have some fun.
    Edit:
    Originally the zone was a single mesh. I just wanted to do something special for you guys. which took a fuck-ton of extra work.
    hope it will be put to good use.

11. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    My first point: sprry guys, I mist have missed that part. I blame my nonexistant dyslexia :specialed:

My second one: alright, that sounds good. That's actually not that had an idea. Was just trying to make sure you guys weren't going TOO retro now xP

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Finishing up the background here,,
    The clouds scroll, everything is paralex, water and waterfall both animated by custom Color pallet cycling shader just like the origonal.
    [​IMG]

13. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    I must say that looks quite delicious. I can't wait for this to be finished up so I can get my mits on it :P

Shouldn't the trees be behind Sonic though? Unless you want to shake things up, which is fine. PROPS for making the trees look so much like the originals only in 3D, though. Really nice accuracy :D

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    It depends on the tree and building chunk, some trees are behind while others are in front , I followed the original layouts for this.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Joshman196 over on the AXSX forum re-uploaded the winter demo,
    thanks to him since I didn't have the time.

Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q2370qdqef03hln (95.78MB)
    Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?19d5l11688yp6j3 (95.78MB)
    Part 3: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bxa3hoz4bllw4cu (56.32MB)

16. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I'm kind of curious. If AXSX is a remake of Sonic Xtreme are you going to try to remake every aspect that was planned for the game, starting with Sonic's mode? I'm mainly curious to see whether or not you might go back when you are done with Sonic's story and also recreate the 2D gameplay sections playable as Tiara Boobowski for an additional game mode. Tails and Knuckles were also planned if I remember right, but I don't know if there were any full stages designed for them or not before the idea of those two was scrapped. Then there's also the possible boss battles with Fang. Was there any artwork of his Sonic Xtreme design and are you going to use him as a boss of one of the levels?

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Ok guys! an update for Sonic CD Remix (2.5D game not Xtreme) so that this topic doesn't fall off the face of the earth.

will be posting a few assets screens for now, from my collection of well over 1000 already made for CD remix)
    These screens of assets are old, Just posting them to show some of the models in progress . (especially metal sonic) and many aren't game engine ready quite yet.
    there are no textures on many of these, most of them are in the rough out stages for designing the basic mesh shapes.

(Stage past Pod UFO)
    [​IMG]

(Stage past Pod UFO)
    [​IMG]

(WiP C C Zone good future props)
    [​IMG]

SCD special stage UFO's
    [​IMG]

(Sonic CD special stage track)
    [​IMG]

(sonic CD special stage boost pad model) glass and lighting for the arrow will be the final appearance
    [​IMG]

(sonic CD special stage prop)
    [​IMG]

(special stage bumpers, not sure if I will keep these, as I had other ideas on how they could look in 3D)
    [​IMG]

Conceptual image for shader for special stage bumpers and other glass like surfaces with lighting inside ( ignore the model)
    [​IMG]

(very early metal sonic for CD remix 100% from scratch)
    arms fingers and other parts are still being modeled out, ( think of them as place holders for now)
    you will notice holes in the model as well, (I'd say the model is only 30 % complete)
    [​IMG]

18. winterhell

winterhell

The UFOs and Metal Sonic .. wow.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    oops,, also some very early boss stuff....
    very very early
    [​IMG]

(The PPZ boss's arm, was dinking around with the shape near the right, I don't think that will be kept)
    [​IMG]

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    It amazes me you have these really damn good looking 3D assets while also trying to make to everything look much more pixelated and worse as a way to be more similar to Sonic X-treme's art direction. I honestly think you guys should just focus on making the game look more similar to your Metal Sonic, Pod UFO, and bumper than how things like this look.