don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    Thats terrible. So much potential gone to waste

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well who didn't see that coming.

Good luck I guess. Emerald Hill Zone was pretty cool

3. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    That's unfortunate. At least you guys proved something like this could be done. Best of luck, guys.

4. I'm very sad to see this project come to an end =/. I was a huge fan of it from the beginning. I wish the best of luck to the S2HD team. Thanks for releasing the Alpha, it was a blast.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    How about instead of giving up so pathetically, you find another lead programmer? It's not like the engine was all that great, and it really isn't hard to find someone else who would be willing to pick up where LOst left off.

6. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    What really dissapoints me is that LOst ended the project himself. In a way, he won.

7. Good luck in whatever you guys may do in the future. If you put as much effort, time, and dedication as you did in this project, you will go places.

I now wait for a new Sonic HD project. May it not have the heartaches and burdens this project had.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Read the post. They'd have to start over from scratch and in addition two graphic people quit. Not enough of a team left unless they want to go back to community project.

9. I don't understand why you all don't take what talent's remaining and start fresh

Find a new programmer, find some new animation leads, possibly even make a game with original content so that you can distance yourself from the keylogger scare

But I can understand its frustrating to go for years and run into development hell problems the way you guys did. Sorry to see this go

10. . . . . .

Welp.

So much for that.

I'd say that this was all LOst's fault, but.... Seeing as how two of the other members resigned (presumably to focus on their own work), and the Manager and Leader had real-life obligations they needed to attend to.... it seems like the project as a whole was falling apart.

Then again, maybe it was LOst's fault they resigned. No use speculating now, the project's dead. But I can't help but wonder if this could have turned out differently if not for one gigantic asshat.

Only other thing I wonder about is when this topic will be closed. I imagine there'll be some time to say "R.I.P. Sonic 2 HD", but... probably not much. If it's discontinued, then there really wouldn't be much point in keeping it open for long.

Best of luck to your future endeavors, majority of the Sonic 2 HD Team (with the specific inclusion of LOst).

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It's not hard to make a better engine than what LOst had. I mean, fuck, more accurate Sonic physics can be made in fucking Game Maker. There are also plenty of artists around who can continue the project too.

I'm mostly disappointed in how easily you guys gave up. Did you even try to find someone to replace LOst and the two graphics guys?

There is a LOT of talent on this site, you can't tell me there aren't a few people who could pick up the slack and outdo at least the original programming.

It sounds to me like Vincent either lost ambition, or there's more going on than he's suggesting.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    S2 HD started as a community project , why not return it to a community project ? I'm sure people will jump back in and continue the work ,
    There are a few game engines out there that could Handel this project easily,
    Sonic GDK, Egg engine or even the newest community project called Mobius Engine.
    ( Mobius engine may be the best bet for sonic 2 HD from what I've seen in the community projects section of the forums)

I'm most familiar with sonic GDK and udk, and know for a fact it can do sonic 2 HD.
    UDK does not have a sprite or billboard system out of the box for characters.
    but no problem I've got one readily available made with custom shades and unrealscripts.

Edit:
    If it were me id take this project to a 3d engine and use an orthopedic view to display the graphics as 2D off of planes.
    than set up some shaders for the background scrolling effect . having it scroll related to camera world space position.

13. Well, to be completely fair, if you had to deal with crap like LOst and his terrible LOgic for years, it'd be kinda hard to keep your ambition.

14. It's a real shame to see the project go out on a bit of a low note. At least the game looked great while doing it; best of luck on your future endeavors!

15. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Welp, it's a damn shame to see the project go, but I can see how events caused the project to just unravel.
    Best of luck to y'all on future endeavors.

16. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I'm saddened about the projects cancellation, but understand. This project is what got me interested in the sonic fan game scene and I wanted it to succeed. I wish you guys the best of luck with future endeavors and hope that someone is able to decompile LOst's work and pick up where you guys left off. Here's to the future, whatever it may hold.

17. dsrb

dsrb

Try to think about the logistics of this a bit more. The two main staff members, Vincent and Canned Karma, would have to balance all their usual IRL responsibilities with finding a new programmer and new artists who could drop right into the team and then quickly get up to speed on a project that would have to be restarted from a very early stage. It's not unreasonable for this, coupled with the disappointments suffered over the past two years and greatly intensified recently (thanks to the hysterical media coverage) to divest S2HD of the majority of its feasibility – and enjoyability – for them.

See, this is funny! I've been pretty offhand and dismissive of this project in the past, but I can't help feeling sorry for the way in which it's fizzled out. And on that note…

Vincent: It's great that you gave a detailed and honest explanation. I think your reasoning is fair and understandable. I'm not saying it's a good thing that this happened, but I can't really find fault in your reaction.

18. Can't say I'm really that suprised. Either way, best of luck to whatever future products you guys attempt to create.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Man I am so pissed off my favourite fan project is over that arse hole LOst has destroyed something that would have been an amazing. I wish the best for all the main members with their other works and hope you don't have to deal with this bullshit in your lives like this again.

20. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    Was there ever any doubt? Considering the whole 2 year gap between announcements and releases, I'm not surprised the project fell flat on its ass.

To think it'd get THIS much public response though is staggering. L0st has managed to besmirch the Retro community. What foul luck hath been dealt.

I personally don't see why there was so much speculation for this project, though. It's just a high definition remake of a game we played near 20 years ago. Unless you planned to make it run on a PS3 in 1080p, it seems more like wasted effort just considering the idea in the first place. I don't hate the idea, but it seems so pointless and droll.

Project is dead, though. L0st is an ass. That about sums it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.