don't click here

The present and near future in web development

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ICEknight, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Isn't that the very feature that eventually got removed from PHP for being too dangerous?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Wait a second, so Ruby on Rails is less secure than PHP? I remember reading that some PHP-based frameworks such as CodeIgniter even added some extra security regarding code injecting through SQL.

If PHP is safer and its biggest problem is that it encourages to make subpar code, it sounds like it might actually be the best option right now...

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    As I said, the real issue is programmers not escaping the data they pass to SQL. The real issue there is SQL, not PHP.

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Honestly, I've seen a ton of those "why php sucks" articles and all seem to be splitting hairs to me. Some articles even mention PHP flaws as strengths and vica versa (ex. declaring globals in a function). The one issue I see logic in is the association direction for the ternary operator, but I just spell those out with switch/case. It's just easier to follow that way.

I'm not saying that the problems are not true though. I'm not a super expert coder. To me it seems that the biggest source of complains is that PHP grew so much that it became very inconsistent - with itself and with other languages. But that's expectable from anything that grows over so many years in my opinion...

No programming language is safer than the other if you write bad code.
    Likewise no browser or OS is safe either, if you just click "ok" without ever reading any dialogs.

5. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    Hey, whatever. I'm not here to "peer pressure" anyone into using particular technologies; I don't give a shit what you use. I was simply offering advice and context, as was requested. (And I guess nobody noticed that I pointed out the mass assignment issue on the first page.)

PHP is simply not the language actual experts and professionals choose for new projects in 2012. If that doesn't bother you, great. PHP might not flex your expertise but it won't kill you. Knock yourself out, have fun. If it does bother you, maybe you should ask yourself why it bothers you and figure out what you want out of programming. I personally love exploring new technologies built on fresh ideas, and getting paid handsomely for it is the icing on the cake.

Either way, arguing about it is pretty goofy.

6. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yes, that's register globals.

Ultimately there is employment for almost all languages that are used enough. It comes down to what you like the best, for personal stuff.