don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member

So when SEGA purchased Taxman's project, you were 100% expecting that?
    But as for S2HD, you don't think they would?

Let me guess, you also expected Facebook to buy Instagram for $1 billion?
    Cause you could just see it?

Interesting, you must be doing well on the stock market with your skills...

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So because facebook purchased instagram for $1 billion, they were going to buy Sonic 2 HD. Ok then.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    All of us had the exact same reaction everyone here did, and we're actively looking into it to the best of our abilities. That said, we've heard just as much from LOst as anyone here has lately, so I'm not sure what, if anything, we'll be able to find that corroborated or refutes what's been brought to light. I will say this though. LOst is no longer a part of S2HD. I'll have a more in depth response soon. We're just as pissed off about this as the community is.

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    So I can at least feel better about future updates and releases. Keylogging or not, I don't think anyone would feel that Sonic 2 HD needed those measures implemented. Thanks for the update Canned Karma.

5. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

It's really relieving to hear from you guys about this.

Good luck, and don't let this bullshit keep you down.

6. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I guess that would explain as to why Norton Anti-Virus picked up S2HD as a virus. Friggin registry hacking Keyloggers...

EDIT: Just wanted to add something here: To whoever is continuing the project, I wish you good luck. I want this game to be finished! Make it happen, guys! You have my support!

Cinossu Edit: Warning the first; read what I said about the badmouthing, spoiler'd or not.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Thank god. When you guys make an in-depth response soon, I recommend making it a guest editorial on this site. That way other people in the media will be more aware that all of this drama was entirely LOst's fault and that future versions of the game won't be plagued by DRM...or keykoggers. o_O

8. ZeroShift

ZeroShift

If I'm not mistaken, Anti-virus programs are mostly going off because of the crummy crypter program he used to hide this keylogger. It may still be going off otherwise, but the crypter hides it from possibly being detected and also makes it show a different infection if it does detect anything.

9. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

The problem is that it wouldn't be an interesting story. People want to hear about how shitty and evil all of the Sonic fanbase is. It's still cool to bash on Sonic, after all.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Fantastic, now I can look forward to seeing this game done again.

Cinossu Edit: Warning the first; read what I said about the badmouthing, spoiler'd or not.

11. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Point being, you can never expect what companies are going to do.
    So why start off hopeless instead of hopeful?

*whistles*
    7) LOst is labelled a villain.

My advice is, you're jumping the gun.
    From what I remember when S2HD started, lots of people wanted to program the S2HD engine, but no one took the initiative except LOst.

12. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Oh, thank God. Common sense prevails. Excellent news, hope to hear the full story soon. I hope you guys have much better luck with the next programmer the team picks up.

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

I still doubt he coded an actual keylogger; it was probably buggy/crappy programming. Stop being so sensationalist and dramatic, honestly.

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I just put this on the Wiki after seeing this post.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    FINALLY. Frankly, he should have been kicked off as soon as the DRM stuff started coming to light, but kudos on making the right decision.

Personally, I'd love to hear LOst's side of all this, but then I doubt we'll ever see it.

16. ZeroShift

ZeroShift

Coded, maybe not. Implanted, maybe.

Saying that, I looked in the NakaSMK folder in the registry everyone is talking about. It contains a whopping 2 keys, one "Keyboard" with a binary value in a subfolder called ControllerSchemes, another being "Stat" contaning a short hex value. Looking at this evidence, there's no real reason to suspect a keylogger....without more evidence.

I see saved keyboard configurations and possible high score storage.

EDIT: A quick google search of NakaSMK uncovered this pastebin. NakaSMK appears to be the engine, and uses the registry folder for general storage.

17. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    ^^^god, beaten again.

I am in no way defending LOst here (indeed we are really pissed at him), but where are the sources on the keylogger article? Who is "professional antivirus employee"? We all know that the exe trips virus scanners and all, people were getting warned all the same. Why publish this article with no proof at all?

I can confirm that the game accepts input when the game isn't in focus, but that is because we used to test it with multiple instances, like having 4 games running at HD just to see if I would get slowdown. Is this what is showing up? Who knows.
    Also, looking at the registry entries, it is in the correct Hive, (Where other legitimate games put keys) and the keys are:

-a hash labeled stats - probably a method of storing and obscuring your own status of beating the game and unlocking things.

-controller information.

This is hardly evidence of anything suspicious(in the registry).

18. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, it's pretty shitty how everyone just jumped on the zomg-espionage-fuck-you bandwagon.

Congratulations, guys! The damage is well and truly done. But don't let that stop you from downplaying your own huge overreactions.

19. JTE

JTE

New Jersey
    SRB2
    Yeah, um, wow you guys explode fast.

As far as keylogging goes, it kind of obviously does the same thing some simple SNES emulators including BSNES does: When it's in the background, it continues to read your keypresses and input and move little hedgehogs around.

It isn't trying to stay open without your knowledge, and it's probably expected of you, as the user, to only have it open with the intention of playing it, if you're leaving a game open while you're doing your banking there's something wrong with you. -- Well, okay, there was one point where we weren't sure if it'd save your "debug mode unlocked" or not, but that's it.

(But I still say I could've done a better job of programming the whole damn thing even in HTML5 and javascript.)

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Still, this should've been upfront when we downloaded this to begin with if you guys knew about it and were using it for testing purposes. why not just leave alittle disclaimer saying "hey this thing is still running in the backround while your doing other things, don't be alarmed."? it would've saved allot of headache that we have to go and fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.