don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Like others have said this is incredible, we'll finally be able to play Unleashed daytime stages at a good framerate and at 1080p. :P

2. LesbianPonyArmageddon

LesbianPonyArmageddon

New Zealand
    Pissing around with Generations files.
    I won't though. Behold my awful computer that runs vanilla Generations at ~20fps on minimum settings.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I run the game around 20 fps as well, but I still played the whole game...Plus, Generations is really a resource heavy game. But, yes, as I've said many times, good work Dario. Take your time and keep it up! :)

4. I was wonder whatever happened to the Night Time Stages I heard Classic Sonic was going to be in them but I haven't heard anything about it since this video.And I doubt this but, what about the level up system? think its possible to add?Anyways great job Dario you deserve a cookie!

5. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Thats because we've been focusing more on getting the Day Time Stages done rather than reworking the whole stage formula for Night time for Classic Sonic. Since stage reimporting is a possibility we can edit the stages in the future to accommodate the Classic style in some way now. But as of now I think I'm the only guy who is still working on fixing the collision meshes still. We have them all brought down to where we need it. Its just the size of the collision meshes are too big. Comparing a 37mb collision file of Chunan to the 2-3mb version of it from Unleashed shows they really had it bare basic meshes so that way it would run well without much lag. Bigger the collision size more it can bring down performance. So we just want it to be brought down quite a lot.

Also still needs fixing for Pulleys and other objects still. Plus I want to animate those Disney style characters from Unleashed and have them in there to root Sonic on. Since I thought they were cool in Unleashed. Thats probably the reasoning as to why its taking so long. But I suppose Night stages can be brought in after we do Day time.

6. Falk

Falk

Perhaps this is a little too derp/obvious to state but collision meshes should also prevent out-of-stage glitching without being too noticably obstrusive. They did a pretty good job overall, but I mean... just look at some of the hilarious shortcuts in the original Rooftop Run and Empire City, not to mention Speed Highway in Generations.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I'd argue that is a feature and not a bug =P

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Yeah this would mean, we COULD patch that up in time if we found glitches. Which is what they did do in some things when they patched the game in the 360 version. But obviously ours will have some major flaws when we release it. Since it is bound to happen, but that also means we can fix it up right away since we'll know what is causing it. So that way we can also make things fair and try to not to have them be broken to no end. So I'm sure you guys will find stuff when we do release it but we are doing our best to get it playable as possible while not having Sonic's feet go through the ground or to high above ground, like it does in Generations and Unleashed. (Reasoning why is because they used low poly collision and just left it didn't try to optimize it to fit with their real mesh. But thats fine though. I don't think people will really care if Sonic is a bit in the ground since your running and boosting anyways. Thats the problem I've been having with Sonic offsetting into the ground or off the ground since I'm a OCD freak with stuff like that.

Edit: The Mazuri stage though is 100% done though. I've gotten that collision mesh down to 2mb like the original one. Just the other stages are a bit more tedious since they are longer and other crap that gets in the way.

Also trying to do a Light Map render for Wave Ocean, but this rendering is so taxing on my system either I'm not doing it right or dang it just is really tax worthy. I would support a Render Farm for Retro. haha

9. KuroBit

KuroBit

This stuff is just incredible, wow... It looks like your playing the original game. I also can't wait to see what's done with model importing, I'm sure the community will create some amazing stuff once that is released. I'd spout on and on about my excitement but everyone has already done that so I'll shut up :P.

I had a question though, you say your modeling the collisions from scratch?? I must have missed it, but I had thought you where importing them from Unleashed. I was wondering why you where able to walk in unusual areas in some of the videos I had seen. (I never bought the original game, so I don't know how lenient the game is about trying to venture off the beaten path compared to Generations, which seems quite strict)

10. Falk

Falk

Also don't forget you don't have to go through Sony/M$ to patch things. :V

11. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    The meshes you see are just being rendered in game for visuals the collision for them is basically simple geometry of the stage. So all the collision we are doing is basically from scratch and just remodeling it over the stage. While it may seem simple it isn't in some cases. Since you want to make sure everything works and is lined up correctly. But if you were making your own stage. It would be much easier then to go about making collision for it.

The Unleashed Collisions are encrypted or whatever differently from the PC version of it. So we can't access any HKX file from Unleashed so we have to make our own. So for animations and collision physics we've been remaking them ourselves.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'd contribute as much as I can to said Rendering Farm. I could maybe even use a server for that in a few weeks. If we want a rendering farm for these, lets get it organized, yes?

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    As I've said numerous times, I'd be more than happy to contribute to the renderfarm.

In other news:

14. I spent half of that video actually thinking about how I've not explored Chemical Plant because I didn't recognize certain paths.

15. KuroBit

KuroBit

This just makes me so happy. :v:

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    For the record, the only reason I've not done a follow up post up front is more because I don't want to cause added attention to stress you guys out in working on this with pressure to release something sooner. You know how the public gets when they see stuff like this.

However, seeing the progress that's been made since the last time, one is about due soon. Stay tuned :eng101:

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    So, as several of you know, I've started my own Generations mod. I have the feeling that it might turn out pretty well. Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Nice, where can I get more info on this? I'm guessing just from the pics that your making Sonic act like he did in Adventure 1? Also I'd like to know something; at the pace people are hacking this, how long do you think untill we get a user friendly level editor?

19. Ryuki

Ryuki

HHNNNNGGG- I love this. Can't wait to see more.

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    If you thought the chu-nan water was ugly and looked just like a bunch of acid, think again.
    [​IMG]

This also likely means I can now convert the rest of levels using water. e.g, Windmill Isle.