don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Has Jun ever made anything Celestial or mystic? Something like that seems to fit a gloomy castle like this but that song is not only unfitting for it, but is very forgettable. It's not bad...it's just doesn't fit here.
    The music was complained about in the Sonic 4 feedback session.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I can't really think of anything Jun Senoue himself has made that was ruin-y. Rusty Ruin on Genesis wasn't his at all and Richard Jacques or the likes of Mariko Nanba or Kenichi Tokoi tend to handle them.

That said, there's still the Lost World tracks or Mystic Ruins themes in Sonic Adventure. I'm not sure who composed those.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus

Sonic Gear 2.5D Unity3D Project
    The music isn't bad, but it doesn't seem that catchy apart from the beginning. It might just have to grow on us like Splash Hill did. Also the video quality could be making it seem worse.

4. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    And I'm not so sure we heard the entire track. It cuts out too soon for me to hear for sure if it actually loops where it ended. I'm not saying we shouldn't judge the track for how it sounds yet because of that, I'm saying that I'm not going to judge it based off its length yet.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Tokoi, Kumatani.

Honestly, compelling ruins music shouldn't be that hard to do. Just start off with a pentatonic bassline and work from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_ejLxu6xA

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It sounds like it loops there, and perfectly fits in with the way loops and track length was handled in E1. Pretty safe bet right there.

8. Falk

Falk

For what it's worth it also seems to play a much shorter loop on the loading screen, which then transitions into the actual level loop when loading is done. Nice touch.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I honestly liked the music a lot, minus the rather cheap instrumentation. Would have preferred Senoue not trying to do Genesis sound -- it's not like anything else was trying to artificially limit itself to genny limitations or anything.
    Still, the arrangements grew on me over time

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    As cool as that sounds, I don't think that's what's happening here. I think it's just a normal non-looping intro portion regardless of the loading screen/title card.

Listening again, the beginning actually sounds very similar to the "S" rank music at the end of the level in Generations. Now where is WHITE PARK Zone, eh?

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    This is why I hate when people credit Jun Senoue for most Sonic music when chances are he never touched it at all. I don't dislike the guy, it's just that because his fan following and praise of Crush 40, etc, Jun has managed to still stick around when nowadays the new games have little involvement with him (Generations obviously being an exception).

Making him Music Director of Sonic 4 was a huge mistake. At least we won't get another episode, right? If SEGA/Sonic Team ever want to try a 2D Sonic game again, there's so many things that they shouldn't have. Senoue is one of them, just like Dimps. =P

12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    *Raises hand* I honestly thought he was responsible for the Sonic 3D soundtrack at one point and praised him for it, but it turns out that some guy called Tony Almeida did all the good tracks. So yeah, fuck Jun Senoue and Crush 40 because they're both shite as far as I'm concerned.

13. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  14. Oh god, playable Metal Sonic.

suddenly I have a good reason for owning Sonic 4 Episode 1. I hope he plays awesomely though, seems like he can fly and everything which looks kinda fun.

15. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Footage from the desert zone, May 15 PSN release, May 16 XBLA release, May PC+ iphone +n vidia, June android and July Windows Phone.

Also - owners of E1+E2 can play Episode Metal, where you play as Metal Sonic and get 4 exclusive levels (!!)

16. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]
    Is that the Sonic Generation version of Stardust Speedway?

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    So this is what they meant when they said there would be one throwback Zone.

18. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    I love how they still don't want to show us music.

Those fire... orbonaut... things in the desert level looked cool at least.

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    All of E1 zones were throwbacks, Sylvania Castle and (probably) Sky Fortress are too, this actually IS the zone (which is probably just a cutscene rather than a full zone).

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I wasn't expecting the sandworms to be THAT big. :psyduck: