don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hi everyone,

Sonic 2 HD was an ambitious project since its inception, I honestly wouldn't had imagined this Alpha Release when I started making the first TD standing Sonic frame years ago - It's extremely difficult to resume in a few words the pleasure, joy and satisfaction to see a dream growing up and developing under your own eyes.
    I need to mention that if it weren't for Scanline99 and Cerulean Nights's proposal to make Sonic similar to the boxart OA and adjust everything to this choice with extra smooth animations, S2HD AR would probably had looked up not much differently than the uplscaled hybrid seen in Tech Demo.
    If somebody needs to be especially praised for how Sonic 2 HD looks, let me direct your compliments to the correct persons.
    I won't disclose much further the painful engine issues, as they were covered already by my team mates, so I'll just hint you to keep hunting for secrets as Tails is not the only "Extra"!

In reply to those comments saying they are surprised the release actually happened:
    A common say here in Tuscany says "If you have a dream and you can't make it happen, either you or your dream have little value". If you really believe in a vision and are ready to overcome any difficulties with hard work and sacrifices by yourself alone, then rest assured you will eventually reach that goal.

Closing this post, offering the whole Sonic Retro community and supporters my personal and sincerest: "Thank you!" :)

2. Whackjood

Whackjood

I had quite a bit of fun with this. Honestly, the team behind this went up and beyond what I expected, even if it did take an unforseably long time to finish a one zone demo. This is god damn gorgeous. Hopefully now that the development is private, instead of some kind of community project, along with universal sprites such as all of Sonic's animations and so on things will move a little faster.

I read a few complaints that the physics felt off, but personally I can't notice it. Maybe I just need to play the original Sonic 2 again then. The DRM in place to prevent people from modding the game is also quite stupid imo, why would you try to stop people from modding a game that is already based off of another?

Also, HD drill car made my day. Amazing stuff.

On a related note, while digging through the folder the game comes in. I noticed an earthquake sound effect was hidden in there, does that indicate towards one of the secrets in S2HD being related to Hill Top Zone in some way?

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    There are level files for Hill Top included as well. I tried swapping them with the EHZ files to get them to load but, well.

[​IMG]

4. Wow uh what

On another note, I did find the demo to be pretty good, although Sonic's waving hand in the title screen looks more like gelatin than an actual hand.

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    http://indiegames.com/2012/03/fan_game_demo_sonic_the_hedgeh.html

"Sonic 2 HD updates the 1992 Sega Genesis title with redrawn graphics, widescreen support, remixed music, an online multiplayer mode, and the addition of Knuckles as a playable character."

If Tails can't fly in this game with Knuckles and online mode, I am going to be so pissed off.

Unless that source is inaccurate.

Edit: Also, get Mercury to program for you, he seems pretty badass.

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That's not my sound engine, not even slightly. You'll have to talk with LOst about that. But I'm proud of what all of us were able to accomplish.

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Thank goodness for that. I don't know if you read my post earlier in this thread but I asked if real time stretching is going to be implemented for the power sneakers on the HD music and no one got back to me on that. It is going to be in, isn't it?

8. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    As you guys should be :)

This is an incredible achievement that you deserve to be proud of. S2HD is proving to be the IDEAL fan game/HD remake and I'm sharing it with everyone I know :)

9. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Lord, no, I'm slow as hell and swamped with other projects. Besides, I'm tired of remaking and remixing, I want to work on something fresh and creative.

Sonic 2 HD's main issues right now seem to be with compatibility, the engine seems pretty much fine to me (judging from videos and reports).

10. Volpino

Volpino

Has anyone found any more spoilers yet? I keep hitting F5 in hopes that someone will post one. I'd try to find them myself but starting the game two or three times just to get it to work is a pain in the ass and the screen does a weird resize thing if I set the video settings to anything besides the defaults. Like, the game screen outsizes my monitor and gets cropped; my monitor is a huge motherfucker, too.

11. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Same here (about the spoilers/easter eggs). Scaling and window settings seem to work fine here.

I DEMAND A LIST OF ALL THE SECRET EASTER EGGS IN THE GAME!!! (just kidding :p)

12. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    The biggest problem I've had with this so far has been getting a black screen after the title screen and after act 2, other times it'll load right up normally. I also had Nortan deleting the *32 .exe repeatedly until I excluded it. Other than that the game's really impressive, I love the gorgeous animations and music. Great work on this S2HD Team!

I tried using the Sonic 1/Sonic 2 SW Proto level select code but didn't have any luck in trying to access Hill Top... :(

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I planned lossless compression support, but we ran out of time for the AR. Also WAV with "sustain loops" lets you change music yourself (with custom loop point), which I think is pretty fitting when there was so many people wanting their music in S2HD from the start. The S2HD music thread at Sonic Retro was the most growing of them all. But basically, there was no time, and why accept lower quality when everything else was presented as the highest quality possible? If there was an issue with mp3 converted to wav (like converting jpeg to png), it is not my doing, as I only accept FLAC or WAV nowdays for my own private music.

The rest of the data is protected from public tampering with, including the application files.

15. So remind me why it's completely necessary that you be a stingy bastard with the engine that a decent portion of the community helped to make? You haven't seemed to mention that at all. :v

16. Volpino

Volpino

I meant in-game spoilers that can actually be played with or something. :V Should've been more specific, I guess.

Kinda curious about that one myself, actually. Was the entire thing rewritten or something?

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This could be to prevent people from stealing things and claiming them as their own.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    A decent portion of the community helped to make this engine?

I don't remember that being the case.

19. Gen

Gen

This is halloween! This is halloween! Member
    The Mobius Engine
    It'd generally be pretty hard to claim responsibility for assets stolen from Sonic 2 HD given that the general public is aware of its existence. It's not like it's a no-name project that's maintained a low profile that no one knows of.

20. l see it as incredibly stupid and unecessary either way.

Last I checked, a group of people were decompiling and documenting the engine to a point that it would be easy for something like S2HD's engine to easily replicate it. I'm not too sure on all of the details so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.