don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Since you guys seem to be decompiling shaders... Would it be possible to recompile these shaders in some other engine like unity or UDK?

2. Don't know about others, but I don't decompile shaders, I just disable them in config files. Well, it must be possible to decompile them into some ASM-like code, but will it be useful? You can still get a LOAD of shader source code from the UT3, Crysis archives, etc.

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Yeah, that's a problem for tight stages like that. The alternatives you have are either making some cameras that line up to the right places for platforming or exploring there, or just don't design tight turns like the ones in the video. The camera works fine for big and open spaces though, and I think that's what a lot of people wanted so no big issue there I guess.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Anyway you can make the right analog stick work as a sort of free camera, or is that not possible with the generations camera?

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It appears the right analogue stick camera controls were removed.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wasn't the camera mode in Unleashed though? if so, isn't there anyway to port it back at all or recreate it?

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

It definitely was in Unleashed. I can't remember how useful it was though. Was there a button to make the camera face the direction Sonic was facing too, or just rotating the camera? Either way, I wish it was as simple as it is to change the homing attack to the x button like in Unleashed(You just change a value). If there were camera controls in the game, someone probably would have figured out how to enable it by now.

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

*Image heavy post incoming*

The editor now accepts GIA lightmaps and converts it so the game can use it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I generated them via Vray for about an hour and a half in a fairly medium resolution, but it's nowhere near final as I'm still learning how to use it properly. As long as you generate them to be compatible with the editor, you'll be able to import it just fine. Max + Vray is NOT a requirement.

Funny thing is it actually looks a bit too dark ingame, so I'm searching in the XMLs to tweak it a bit more. It should actually look like this(from the editor, the diffuse textures are unmodified, those are indeed GIA maps over it):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*votes for a private rendering network farm exclusive for Retro*

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh HNNNG.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I literally thought the same thing when I saw this (Yes, I thought HNNNNGGGG)

No other word can describe this. We've made all the progress we made in SADX and more in a fraction of a time. Truly you are a god.

Sonic 06 as you imagined it. Make it so.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Dario, everyday you aren't a Tech Member is a day without justice.

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    What's with Sonic's and the Egg Fighters' lighting being so off? Isn't that handled by the GIA too?

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's not. Nor is the light-field, which reflects light onto objects. I can generate the lights fine(gotta read them from the export). About the light-field, I still have to crack that.

The dynamic objects use separate light objects, while the terrain just doesn't care about it and is dependant on the GIA.

14. Falk

Falk

This is honestly frontpage-worthy.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If whatever you're using to bake lightmaps runs under Linux I would be happy to contribute a server to this proposed rendering farm. Does it work with HDR? I can tell Sonic isn't casting shadows too.

p.s. you should totally be a tech member

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I'm happy to tell you I worked my ass off today making the materials for Whomp's Fortress actually look right this time |D (also I ripped the stage model for Dario but tbh he coulda done that himself if he googled enough; less work for him though I suppose. Derp.)

[​IMG]

Now imagine that but with the GIA. HOT DAMN.

17. What have you done. This is beyond amazing. This is spectacular. Honestly, I can't wait for this to lead on to major things, and I'm sure others are eagerly awaiting any kind of new post regarding this subject. Congratulations.

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

As usual, fantastic work guys. Can't wait to see more.

Anyway, I was looking around some of the xml files, and I noticed Replay.prm.xml in #SystemCommon.ar.00. Interestingly, some of the xml is still Japanese. When you translate these, you get "Camera Settings", "Free Camera", and "Player Tracking Camera". Anyone know what this is used for? Maybe for making replays and pretty trailers?

19. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    So, I have some questions. Level designers are going to need to know:

- how large the sonic object is in units
    - how many units sonic can travel in 5 seconds without boost
    - how many units sonic can travel in 10 seconds with & without boost
    - how tall a generic building is in relation to sonic
    - how wide a road is in relation to sonic
    - the maximum slope angle sonic can walk up
    - Sonic's maximum jump height
    - maximum homing lock distance
    - how to set sonic's spawn location

That's all I can think of now.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Can we stop clamoring for DarioFF to be a tech member? We all can agree he deserves it, so it'll happen sooner or later.