don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You'll have to be more specific.
    What model are you trying to look at? Do you know what version of SADX you have (US, European, Japanese, Mastertronic, Sold-Out Software, Steam)?

2. I'm 99.9 percent sure that my SADX version is US (I got SADXLVL to work with it...). As for the model, I can't get anything to work whether I use the in-editor selector or the hex values from the info area of the site, but I specifically want to access the level models.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Do all the objects show up in SADXLVL with their proper models?
    Can you open models with SAMDL in SADXPCTools?

4. They show up in SADXLVL just fine, but for some reason I can't open up the models, even with that version of SAMDL. If it helps, I tried starting the disassembly process, and I got an error that said "Index was outside the bounds of the array".

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Can you give me any details about the error message? You can also try this copy of sonic.exe that doesn't require the CD.

6. Okay, strangely enough, the version I had is working as long as I use the drop down list and not the list in the hacking guide. I still can't find Emerald Coast though... Is the offset for the hacking guide wrong, or is it different in the crack?

EDIT:...and...now its not? Okay, SADXMDL is seriously just trying to be a jerk now...

7. pablodrago

pablodrago

BS AS
    when you put the address always check if is in hex or dec, and try to not copy and paste the address do it manually, because instead of read the address you paste, it read the last one (just "0" if is the first)

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Not to be annoying, but could someone answer my question?

9. ManicRemix

ManicRemix

Fact: You're reading this Member
    Hmm, I have a simple question.

Sega seems to use a compression called .cpk for games like Sonic Colours and M&SATWOG.

How exactly do you decompress this type of format?

Sonic Colours (Or Colors, if you will) uses a model format, MDL0, compressed in a BRRES Archive, which a nifty program named BrawlBox can edit.

The first step, of course would be to compress the .cpk archives.

How can one decompress a CPK Archive?

10. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Hey Retro,

Quick question regarding disassemblies and ASM.

Using the S1 SVN or Mercurial disassembly

If I wanted to get rid of sonic's standing pose and idle poses and instead have the idle poses never show and the main pose be his running animation loop how would I go about doing this?

I could change the ASM code not to load Sonic's idle pose but how would I tell it to load the running pose complete with animation cycle and prevent the standing and idle poses from getting loaded into ram?

Similar question, If I wanted to get rid of the spikes object from a rom using ASM, how would I go about doing it? would I have to delete the subroutine and everything associated with the spikes object (and modify Sonic's code to eliminate the spike check).

I am looking to try some minor things and I am hoping to free up a little ram in the process.

Cheers.

11. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    To remove the spikes object, just go to the object id in the code (which is Obj36:) and just remove all the code for the object, replacing it with a simple rts, and then at Hurt_ChkSpikes, merely remove the following lines:

Code (Text):
    1.         cmpi.b  #$36,(a2)   ; was damage caused by spikes?
    2.         bne Hurt_Sound  ; if not, branch
    3.         cmpi.b  #$16,(a2)   ; was damage caused by LZ harpoon?
    4.         bne Hurt_Sound  ; if not, branch
    5.         move.w  #$A6,d0     ; load spikes damage sound
    and as far as I'm aware, that's all there is to it. (The other stuff you asked of I am not so certain about.)

12. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Thanks for the help with that. Would that work for any subroutine that I didn't want? and when it compiles is that code ignored since theoretically it is an empty sub?

Also, original question still stands. Kind of the appearance of perma-running.

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    If you do that, every time a spike is found on level data, it will load and stay loaded until the level ends. Instead of leaving an rts, it is better to leave a branch to DeleteObject (or better yet, remove the rts too and change the spikes entry on the object pointer list to DeleteObject).

14. Some Dude's Hand

Some Dude's Hand

Needs more loops... Member
    Empire City
    Getting my ideas off the paper and into the computer.
    In Sonic 2, how would you remove the vertical camera lock on DEZ? I'm using the current Mercurial disassembly, so the answer should lie somewhere in loc_D382?

(I'm just learning ASM, so I could be wrong.)

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Hello; just a quick question. In my hack, I want a certain palette to fade to black (palette line 2 and 3, so both them lines go black whilst palette line 0 and 1 remain intact).

It seems like I can't pull it off. I tried jumping to subroutines: Pal_FadeTo, Pal_ToBlack, and Pal_FadeOut. The closest I got to is that it starts to fade, then the game locks up.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

redhotsonic

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Has anyone ever successfully ripped the level geometry for Sonic Heores/Shadow? If so, how did they manage to convert the .bsp files? Or did they upload them somewhere? :P

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I come with not a question, but possibly an answer. (I take no credit for this... I had ZERO to do with it, just posting so others may know where to look.)

I was recently speaking to RHS about his ASM guide, and he directed me to a newer, more accurate guide by our beloved MarkeyJester.
    EDIT: I took the link down. Apparently I was told I probably shouldn't post it yet. (Not by Markey, rather... Someone else) the person who told me is an experienced member and I trust his judgment. That said, anyone who wants to find this guide can just google search MJ ASM guide... Or something like that. That's how I got there, and if another trusted source is telling me this much, I'm sure it's alright.
    Markey OKed it... so here it is again: http://mrjester.hapisan.com/04_MC68/
    I'll warn you now though... Markey is NOT finished with this guide just yet, so not everything is up to snuff just yet... BUT I'm using it, and, if my two cents is worth anything... its a damned good guide so far. So check it out.

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hello one and all. I'm asking about Sonic 1, so anyone who is good with this game,..

I'm trying a bugfix. Trying to fix the GHZ Act 1 bug that kills you if you go too quickly down the S tunnels. I modified it so that the screenlimit moves down once the camera's xposition reaches the checkpoint (1700), instead of the second S tunnel (1780). Is this the correct way to go about fixing this?

I tested it, and I'm not dying... but I just wanna make sure I actually corrected what caused the bug, or if I was missing something...?

Could you tell me?

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Your fix should do the trick, but here's what I did:

(Copy paste from my never released ReadySonic guide)

20. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Is anyone here well versed in VGM Music Maker? I can't figure out how to make a prolonged note!