don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Well, I am ignoring everything after Sonic 3&K, just as they would have done making Sonic 4 directly after, as it would not have happened.

Umm, the first level is kind of a Forest, beach, and Hill mix. It's hard to describe what I have in my head, but hopefully it will be what you will see. Nothing is stopping me having more than one 'Grass Level', just like Sonic 2 had 2 'Factory' levels, but they were very different. I can do the same, because there is a lot to cover.

I hate the Homing Attack too. Even in 3D.

This sounds good. Very good. I'll look into it...

Well, I can't paint, but the rest is very possible, although I'm not sure I like the idea of the Homing Attack creeping it's way in. Whatever happens though, I will make Sonic run through the signpost at the end of a level.

Sonic OVA... Maybe. Maybe.

I agree on you about the sound, I'll wait to see what fits.

Sonic OVA... Mentioned a bit now. It wasn't incredibly related, though.

I like the Sonic CD feel a lot, I have a feeling that's where it's heading.
    Thanks, also!

;)

I'll certainly have cleverer Badniks than the motobug. But I do love it, with it's little claws. Aww....

I was thinking about this, and I won't make the moves required at all, this was a flaw in Sonic 4. Homing attack can die.

I was always going to include all the current ones, but have wall jump too. But perhaps I'll have a better idea by that time.

- Maybe they are. Maybe it's exactly that. ;)
    - Mmm-mmm.
    - I've seen that, it's pretty good.
    - I feel it has to. It just does.
    - Possibly.

I understand, I feel Amy is the more obvious choice, but perhaps I could experiment.

Trust me, it's not Emerald Hill.

Yes, I just want a plan, so that I make sure everything will be possible from the start.

I have considered everything you have written, but this is a long reply so I'll make a comment on the special stages. After Sonic 2, they became the 3D element of every Sonic game. I don't think this has to be the case, so while it probably will become a 3D stage, I will be thinking about ideas for 2D ones as well.

It's made as vector art, but in game it is simply images.

I'll think about all this, thanks!

It does seem a bit unfair on Sonic, doesn't it? I'll try and make it more even

Rightly said.

All of this, I was already thinking. You'll be happy.

Very Bad.

Anyway I'm sure I can come up with something more widely appreciated than the homing attack.

Ok, with all that, I have a fairly hectic understanding of what most people want. I'm sure I wont disappoint the larger half of you. The other half being the homing attack crew. ;D

EDIT: Ok, so, it might be an extra, but I don't think I will consider it any further than just 'adding' it.

2. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Some levels I would like to see in a Sonic 4 would be:
    - A crumbling city in ruins overtaken by the ocean based on the 'Ancient Relics' from the Sonic OVA, with a sewer system along the bottom path.
    - The sunken ruins of the S3K Death Egg with malfunctioned badniks.
    - A pristine coastal zone.
    - An abandoned mineshaft zone, with a mountainous troupe for the upper path.
    - A 'Sega Megadrive Zone', Sonic is trapped in one by Eggman a one point in the game and goes through a level composed of classic Megadrive games (Echo the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage, etc.)
    - A 'mechanized nature' troupe zone (Like Mecha Hill from Sonic Chaos)

As for characters moves give Sonic the wall jump and peel-out, Tails his tail swipe, and Knuckles his punch move. Amy as the fourth playable character would be nice, but she would need to have a reason/purpose in the story. Fang appearing as Knuckles rival would be nice and following formula I'd like to see a mrk.4 'Mechanized' Sonic too.

Story is also important and needs to be told through interactive cut scenes (Like the Knuckles encounters/Zone transitions/Hidden Palace in S3K) no boring walls of text (Rush Games) and no not having any story at all in game (S4E1).

However you decide to approach this game good luck! I look forward to seeing what you decide to create!

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't understand why some people are so opposed to having a homing attack as a shield ability. With good badnik and level design, it would only amount to a cool extra, like the homing attack in Sadv2. Just my two cents :colbert:

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I can acknowledge everything that 3K brought to the table, and can recognize its case for being the best Sonic game ever. But I'm totally with you here, there's something about Sonic 1 and 2 that makes me love it that much more.

I don't think you have anything to worry about though, because Sonica is quite the fan of Sonic 1 I believe.

5. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?

How do you figure? Sonica's making this, he's just asking for suggestions. Ultimately, the final word is his and his alone. The clusterfuck that was Project Retro wasn't quite like this.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh yes.

Well this won't be a community project, so I'll have the final say when it comes to art and game design ;D

8. Steven M

Steven M

Guess I may as well throw my hat in the ring for a "What if" scenario. It's glorified fanfic (and may have little bearing on the actual project), but oh well.

• Based on the general timeline of Sega hardware, I'd assume the retro Sonic 4 would be released on the Sega Saturn - after a series of spinoffs Sega pulls out the stops and decides to give the blue hedgehog one last 2D hurrah, keeping him in the public eye well before the hype and launch of the Dreamcast. The Saturn was fairly limited in terms of 3D programming but excelled at 2D, and many games on the system had a combination of sprites, polygons, rotating/scaling and Z-depth effects. All the end-of-zone bosses and some of the subbosses in this hypothetical Sonic 4 are polygonal models.
    • The intro and title screen for the game would be in 3D. The in-game transitions are kept as is, cutscenes with no dialogue. Japanese voice clips for each character are planned, then tentatively dummied out.
    • Retro Sonic 4's level design would be roughly the same as &Knuckles, having learned from the generally dismal reaction to Crackers and Chaotix. The number of general objects on screen (foreground, animated background objects) would be greatly increased - indeed there would also be a great number of level-inclusive 'gimmicks' that took advantage of the Saturn hardware. The bonus stages in particular would be the 'missing link' between the Sonic Xtreme fisheye demo and the engine that would be later perfected for NiGHTS Into Dreams - further complimented by the Christmas bonus Sonic Into Dreams.
    • Retro Sonic 4's artstyle would be somewhat less 'gritty' than the Mega Drive games, with greater inspiration/palette choices taken from Ristar and Chaotix. The music for the game would be produced by Naofumi Hataya and Tomoko Sasaki.
    • Sonic, Knuckles and Tails are playable characters. Each character keeps their abilities from 3&Knuckles along with new moves. Sonic can now run along ceilings and walls, if he's running beforehand and jumps onto the surface - a good player could wall-climb through a tough alternate path this way rather than fly or climb. He can also do a spindash in mid-air. Knuckles can punch through certain walls and burrow through them (similar to the Drill from Sonic Colors), as well as allow other players to latch onto him while gliding. Tails remains the same, albeit with a longer flying time.
    • The shields return, with the caveat of the golden Homing Blast shield from Sonic 3D.
    • The game supports up to 3 players but the system is a mess as the camera focuses on Player 1 with Players 2 and 3 playing catch-up - it's a nice idea in theory, but the 2-player co-op system still works best. There's also a rudimentary race mode that allows the players to race through the full levels of the game. A dummied-out feature would allow for unlockable beta versions of levels from previous games, as well as multiplayer-specific mini levels relying on co-operation to advance.
    • Robotnik is the main antagonist once again, focused on collecting the Chaos Emeralds with the help of a mysterious new sidekick who resembles an evil mirror version of Sonic. The new character acts as a rival similar to Knuckles, goading Sonic mid-level, in sub-boss fights (either alone or with a machine) and occasionally racing him through levels. The good-ending final zone sees him use the Chaos Emeralds to fight Sonic one-on-one as a precursor to the real final boss.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

What's wrong with Fang?

10. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    this is looking pretty cool, I'll keep in mind to keep checking back here for more stuff.
    Could I suggest something that bugs me a little bit in fan game engines? regarding when sonic is standing still on a slope (excuse the quick doodle and my awful handwriting)
    [​IMG]

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I was thinking about this just a minute ago, it's very possible!

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It would be cool if you were able to somehow emulate the Sonic 1 prototype "gunslinger" sprite for that. It would probably translate well to Sonic trying to keep his balance on a hill :)

13. You taking Zone Ideas? Here are a few to consider...

- A Tropical level based on a chain of Islands. Think a river delta, but with Islands. Sonic can traverse the tops of the Islands if he has enough speed, but if he should slow down can also can traverse small cave systems under the Islands by going underwater.

- A mechanical graveyard for Robotnik's machines, where old badniks rise from the graves. Think a combination of a scrapyard and a burial ground.

- A level based in the mountains where Robotnik has polluted the fresh water creating a Sludge River down the mountain.

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes, keep 'em coming!

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    This has always been my wacky idea for a first zone. Have Sonic start out in space (to fuck with tradition) escaping from Robotnik's psychedelic botanical moon base, and making his way back down to earth by the end of the zone for the rest of the game.

I has this idea of Sonic's story taking place after Tails/Knuckles. Sonic has been captured and imprisoned on Robotnik's moon base, and Tails/Knuckles have to rescue him. Therefore the moon base would not only be Sonic's first level, but Tails/Knuckles last.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    That does sound pretty clever actually. But that would exclude the idea of Tails and Knuckles being able to tag along with Sonic, maybe being able to switch between them... I dunno, I'm just chucking ideas out like you ;S

17. Kampfer

Kampfer

Maybe as a compromise of homing attack or not, maybe revive the Gold Shield from Sonic 3d Blast. That way its not required and does not take away insta-shield (my favorite attack in the series), but it does create a useful power-up Sonic earns and allows the player to chose between it and other shields.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Engine Progress:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIBwfkLg3I

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Ah man this deserves better than Game Maker.

As much as I love the Sonic CD soundtrack and its style, wouldn't a continuation of the Genesis style be more fitting? Or at least find a common ground.
    Also as far as surrealism in environments go, keep it on a leash ok. The environments in Sonic 1 2 3 and CD were all believable and beautiful in a natural way even if otherworldly and the terrain and plants were sometimes made of polygons. Keep to that vein, don't start getting all artsy weird if that's what you were thinking.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Game Maker is good. Seriously. (Ok porting, but the game can still be made).

All the hate should stop, leave Game Maker alone!