don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    New Sonic related Game Music Video
    Watched the trailer. What to say?

I FUCKING HATE SONIC 4 MARKETING! It's like

Sega: SO WE HEARD U LIKE CLASSIC PHYSICS? WELL WE"VE GOT A NEW ENGINE!!! AWESOME, ISN'T IT?

From what I saw in the trailer the physics feel EXACTLY the same. Oh, yeah, uncurling is gone. But it's something that should be in the game from the very damn beginning! There was no reason to say things about uncurling as if it was the greatest thing in the franchise and the greatest invention of Sonic 4! Sega hypes the game so damn much just to show us NOTHING that looks differently to Ep1 aside from the aforementioned uncurling.

I didn't like that Snowy takes multiple hits too.

I don't like that oversimplification that are the signs. It's like

"Here you must use co-op attack"

"Here you must use Tails to fly"

"Watch out! Here's the pit!"

That shit was nowhere to be seen in the classic games and it was FUCKING GREAT!

The trailer also consists of springs and boosters when they could at least TRY to make the game without them. And why the heck didn't they show us gaining momentum?!

What I did like is the visuals. And the remix.

I actually don't hate what the game is going to be. I'm just mad at SEGA for their retarded hype raising when there's nothing to be so hyped about. The game definitely is an improvement over Ep1. I like it, but the trailer didn't like IMPRESS me.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Well let me save you some time, wonder no more because you fucking can't! 19-20 seconds in he's running down a hill and not picking up any speed (like he would in say Marble Garden).

3. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    Yeah..
    I can't understand why they cut the gameplay parts so it actually is impossible to see how's the new engine is different from the Ep1. What's the point in the trailer if it doesn't show any changes? Visually it looks great, but I can say that without watching the trailer.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Most of the people who complain about Sonic 4 felt pretty satisfied with Sonic Generations, though. =P

This looks.... better than Episode I, but I'll still wait for the hands-on.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    1. First level tutorials. I see nothing wrong with that. If they are constantly in other levels then we have a problem.

2. I saw nothing like that.

3. If it's like Generations you can turn those signs off.

6. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    You know what I hate? The way they used Sonic CD to hype this pos up, like it was going to be a worthy successor (when they knew damn well it wouldn't be). Sonic 4 isn't fit to lick one of Sonic CDs rings!

7. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    Exactly. Something tells me they will be in all levels.
    Maybe it's my mistake.
    Didn't know that xD.

8. Agent of Chaos

Agent of Chaos

I'm liking the updated look S4: E2 has and the gameplay trailer definately gots me interested in some of the new ideas that's in the game with Tails and Tropes. I liked S4: E1, not as much as the classics, or Generations but if they are able to improve upon Episode 1 IMO they have a great thing going.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

Doesn't it take Sonic more than one second to accelerate down hills? Never mind that Sonic wasn't on the steep part of the hill until the last half of that second.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as mad as the rest of you for Sega not showing enough to prove their "new engine" is as new as they claim. I also don't want to have to wait several more weeks for more gameplay footage that may address our concerns. I just think the whole problem is they chose the "fast and flashy" route for this trailer rather than just showing us the game as it is. A more adequate way of showing the game off is to show us a playthrough of the first act of the game. That would be a better indicator of the game's physics or lack thereof.

On another note, 18-19 seconds in, Sonic and Tails fly off a ramp and Tails ends up going higher than Sonic. Even more interesting is that Sonic was Spin Dashing right in front of the ramp whereas Tails had just gained speed from rolling down a slope. Make of that what you will.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Looks alright to me. Not amazing but it seems fun.
    It looks like Sonic Generations 3DS physics to me. So basically, no inertia-stopping, no uncurling, and rolling speeds you up when going down hills, but not as rapidly as the old games.

...still sad they took out dust hill though

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like they should release a series of trailers titled "How we fixed the game" and then go on to show a small little clip of something that was fixed. No cuts to different levels to show action, just a simple demonstration of the differences. A simple series of videos showing momentum, inertia, jumping, rolling, and whatever else.

Can they get rid of the whole rushing blue background thing though? Every single trailer. It looks cheesy.

12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    First they'd have to admit they screwed up in the first place.

13. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    To me, I'm starting to like the physics used in Generations 3DS. Even though at times it still felt like I was playing Sonic 4 Episode 1 with Classic Sonic slapped onto it, it managed to get the job done and not be a horrendous product in the end. Here's hoping it stays that way for Episode II.

14. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    I'll probably buy the cheap iPod/iPhone version. I'm not spending 15 dollars on this.

The scenery is boring and not much really sticks out, besides the christmas trees, those are beautiful.

Also, boosters, repetitive homing attacks, and for some reason I'm seriously bugged by Sonic smashing through walls just for the hell of it.

For me the most important question is, what will the music sound like? I want to hear some music, godangit!

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    In Sonic Rush you gain momentum when rolling downhill too :P

Sonic 4 looked crappy on purpose, lol.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Looks alright. Looking forward to wrecking this game on co-op.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That will never happen. Ya know how Japanese pride can really get in the way of things (like how Iizuka said he fixed the physics so he won't be needing Taxman's retro engine).

EDIT:

I think I may have confused Taxman saying Episode 2 is not using the retro engine, rather than Iizuka saying he wasn't going to use it.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Hit me up, Broski. XBLA all day.

19. Machenstein

Machenstein

I just played Sonic Rush after reading this post and you seem to be right. Why does rolling feel so gimped then? Were the loops just too big or is the boosting just overpowered which makes rolling look useless in comparison?

20. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Looks great, love the improvements they made. And that running animation looks SO much better!