don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Maybe to force the use of Homing Attack, or something they forgot to change from Sonic Rush.

2. Vangar

Vangar

You can't polish a turd. Especially if that turd is full of sharp blades and lies.

3. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Remember when Sonic uncurled after flying off the cliff in the Sonic CD opening? BADASSERY.

I'd like to think that was their intention.

4. Lambda

Lambda

Sonic looked more like a little kid flying up into the air going "Wheeee!"... When I first saw it, one of my first thoughts was how UNCOOL it was..

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The Mythbusters would like a word with you on that first part...
    Regardless, I don't think they should remake Sonic 4 Episode 1. I DO hope, however, they update it with some fixes, perhaps remove the uncurling that seems to have irked quite a few.

But on the topic opf the thread, Sonic 4 Episode 2, this news has made me regain hope for this endeavour, moreso then the screen delivered :3

6. Aerobian-Angel

Aerobian-Angel

"____________________" Member
    Perhaps "remake" wasn't the best word to describe my thoughts on dealing with Episode 1. How about "fix" or "update"? I don't want to pay for Sonic 1 and 2 a THIRD time, I just want it's graphical and physics brought up to par with Episode 2 (provided that it's better of course).

But yeah, uncurling should be dealt with like in Sonic Advance 2/3. Show the animation, but still carry the "spinning" attributes. It'll make Sonic CD's opening feel that much more playable. Or just keep spinning, I don't mind.

7. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Don't fix Episode I, it would just be a slightly better (Or worse, even) looking version of Sonic 1 & 2. Instead, make one more episode so we have a solid 8 levels of side scrolling Sonic to play, I wouldn't complain.

8. serpx

serpx

I have a better idea. Let's remove Episode 1 from market, pretend it never existed, rename Episode 2 to Episode 1, and then bingo, all is good in the world! If Episode 2 is trash, we'll just play this cycle till things are right. In regards to uncurling, I wonder if they added it because of the homing attack for some reason?

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm pretty sure the uncurling was included to enforce the Homing Attack. There is no other logical reason that it was included...

11. Aerobian-Angel

Aerobian-Angel

"____________________" Member
    According to these stats, only 4-13 critics agree with Sonic Retro. Interesting...

I'm pretty sure that if we could forget/erase past-failures (a la Time Eater style) just like that, we'd come a disagreement on where (and when) to stop. Besides, we'll never truly forget Sonic 4 on account of how easy it is to use it as a means of juxtaposition, seeing as that's what we've been doing with Episode 1 since it's Modern Sonic reveal. As a matter of fact, Sonic 4 has been juxtaposed against what seems like every (2D) Sonic-related game in existence -- including fan games. My guess is that while we WANT to forget it, we don't want to forget it as much so if it means a chance at bashing SEGA's post-Genesis efforts.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME GETTIN' ALL PHILOSOPHICAL.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
  13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

So......

3D Trash : 2D Trash

Sonic 2006 : Sonic 4 Ep 1?

14. JordanFreeman

JordanFreeman

I enjoy great things.
    Dundee, Scotland
    University and being lazy
    Uncurling isn't so much a 'feature' as much as it's just... there. It's probably a byproduct of the way the physics were programmed. I very much doubt they sat down and decided to implement it as a feature. I could be wrong, but that's just how I see it.

I didn't even mind the physics in Episode 1. The level design was based around the physics they had, so it wasn't like it broke the gameplay or anything. At least not for me. I very much agree though that calling it 'Sonic 4' was a mistake. When compared to the previous games it just wasn't up to scratch and it makes it look worse as a result. If they called it 'Sonic Retro Adventure' or something I'm fairly sure less criticism would be aimed at the physics and game in general.

It's brilliant to hear that SEGA have finally listened to the fans though. We might actually get a Sonic 4 worthy game this time, if we're lucky.

15. Blue Wisp

Blue Wisp

Easy on the car okay Member
    Well, if you can trust Ken Balough's claims of this game, then pretty much this is the TRUE Sonic the Hedgehog 4 game that we should have got at first. The gameplay screens look great and the models seem to be ripped straight from Generations, which is a great thing.
    The levels - Despite one being somekind of homage to Aquatic Ruin - are unique, they look really nice, worth noting are that Not-So-Oil Ocean Zone and the Christmas Carnival (?) Zone.

So I think SEGA got Sonic the Hedgehog 4 finally right, waiting for the gameplay video tomorrow.

inb4 3-4 seconds of gameplay [​IMG]

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Just reminding everyone we're getting a gameplay trailer this Friday.

Cautiously optimistic, when will I ever learn.

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    It's actually tomorrow if I'm not mistaken

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yup, on February 23rd it will be uploaded on Gamespot.

19. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    You know what's really irritating about this Episode 2 speculation?

When Episode 1 was first announced, it was toted as what we've finally been waiting for and all that happy horseshit. Videos were shown, people voiced legitimate (and subsequently, upon release, justified) concerns, and the game wound up as a pile of garbage as far as classic Sonic standards go. Seriously, it has no right being called Sonic "4." Even Chaotix, originally intended to be the next game in the series back in the day, with all of its new gameplay mechanics and quirks, still played like the original titles. There's nothing wrong with people enjoying Sonic 4 as-is, I'm not saying that whatever Dimps was going for wasn't executed as they intended... but to essentially hoodwink the rest of us, whom they admitted were their target audience, is like a slap in the face.

And now, Episode 2 sits on the horizon.

"We've revamped the whole game."

"We've listened to your concerns."

"Yes, Episode 1 wasn't up to par."

Come ON people, they'll say anything just to get enough people to lick their feet. Why should this be ANY different? I'm not saying it's impossible to consider that it might actually not suck, BUT it's not worth even wondering about the game until it launches.

If it's good - praise it.
    If it's bad - don't even complain because you all should have expected it from the beginning.

I was pleasantly surprised with Generations, despite a number of glaring issues, and the game as a whole was good enough to look past them. I don't expect big things from S4E2 in any regard, I'm not following any hype, I'm not concerned with whatever claims Sega is making about the game's competency. THe proof is in the pudding, we'll see what happens when it launches.

you people shouldn't be so ready to lap up all the crap that Sega has been trying to feed us in the past few years

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm probably not even going to buy the game because it's only 4 Zones again.

Seriously fuck off with that shit, especially if you're gonna charge us 15 bucks for it like Episode 1. That's a giant rip off.