don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Seriously, man? Why are you trying to start a religious debate in a discussion about Sonic 4?

Anyway, I'm hoping we see an Episode 3 eventually. Since they've shown they're actually capable of improving. I doubt that the ridiculous price will change much though.

2. I dunno about Jesus but Robotnik kidnapped Santa once :v:

3. I want to believe.

4. By the way, is it just me that's a tad concerned that as soon as Sega stop reusing old levels or setting their games in space they go back to using a realistic artstyle? like that's sposed to be the norm? Just a little thing that bugs me is all~

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They have the potential to use random environments. They made Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed, and then we have all of Sonic Colors. This game they just don't want to. They're going with the Sonic 3 approach of using environments that have some realism to them yet still can look somewhat Sonicy and whimsical. Honestly I prefer this method. And what I find lovely is that people believe that Sonic CD is the norm, although there are only 4 Sonic games (And some game gear games) that I know of that use the random environments with a lot of geometrical shapes (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix). I think the Sonic 3 approach has been making a comeback lately, with games like Sonic Colors and this game. Even Generations redesigned the art style for GHZ because if they used squares we end up with SA2 GHZ which looked kinda strange.

Just because Colors was in space doesn't mean that they're aren't places like those levels on Sonic's planet, because Sonic's planet has no fucking continuity. Unleashed takes place in the same work as Sonic 1, Speed Highway and City Escape are set in the same city, yet look nothing alike. Angel Island exists sometimes, yet sometimes it doesn't. There is 0 continuity for what Sonic's world, so there is no reason why they can't make something like a variation of aquarium park on Sonic's planet.

Oh and I call the snow level the christmas level due to the lights, not because Jesus and Robotnik have teamed up to celebrate the holidays. How the fuck was that conclusion thought up of

6. Not what I meant sir. I'm not talking about squares and stuff I'm talking about a bit of surreality. I'm happy with the winter zone but I think the first zone looks a little bit too realistic, especially the backdrop. I'm just more of a fan of how GHZ looked in Gens and even how Splash Hill looked in 4. Especially when you have a realistic background and cartoony enemies

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ok. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I feel like these environments are pretty Colors like, a bit less out there though. I think it will look nicer though once we get to see the game in action, then we'll see how everything flows together.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Lately, it seems like they always need a plot reason to make the world look strange or non realistic (Amusement Park IN SPACE, Inside a Storybook), instead of remembering that Sonic's Earth is also not very realistic in the first place. Now that I think about it, it is a bit disconcerting. Looking at the screen-shots, I have this strange, unfortunate feeling that there will be very little amounts loops and slopes in the game. There seems to be a lack of fluidity in Sonic's movable area/Level Design. I really hope I'm quite wrong about this.

9. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Sonic 4 Ep. 2 just got unveiled in Japan through Famitsu. I'm in the process of getting watermark-less scans from Woun over at Sonic-Scene.ru that I'll post over here in a bit.
    EDIT: Ok, he said no. I'll just go ahead and post the link to the magazine scan with the giant watermark on it. It's a really huge image, so be warned!
    [​IMG]
    tl;dr - No new screenshots. Just the same ones from Xbox.com and Sega's Flickr account.

10. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Spoilers:
    Sonic was born on CHRISTMAS Island.

11. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I dunno if anyone noticed, but I took a closer look at the screenshots of the game and I think the level foreground is indeed pre-rendered like the previous episode.

The flowers and gate in this screenshot of "Christmas Carnival" have black pixel-y edges around them like its been cropped.
    [​IMG]

@Jasonchrist Learn how to not be a douchebag.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I noticed this, but I don't have that much of an issue with it so far, as they seem to be pulling it off much, much better than before. We still have yet to see it in motion, so a complete verdict from me is still slightly on hold right now.

EDIT: Though I am a bit concerned with the flowers looking a bit too cluttery, especially since they are 2D images.

13. It's probably a combo - there's probably no point making full 3D objects for certain things, especially if those certain things happen to be practically 2D in the first place.

14. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Another thing I noticed, pretty neat.

Depending on the environment, this badnik changes. Maybe the same for others?
    [​IMG]

Also for the record TheInvisibleSun, I'm not against pre-rendered graphics. As long as it looks nice, its fine with me. : )
    Resident Evil did a great job when it came to prerendered graphics.

However, if the whole game is pre-rendered again and since this game seems to be a more detailed then episode 1... Would that be the reason as to why its not on Wii?

15. http://blogs.sega.com/2012/02/17/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii-concept-art-friday-2/

oh look, cubot like box. Wonder what it does

16. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    [​IMG]

Kinda looks like a Maverick Boss.

17. serpx

serpx

That bot is just a boss period. And, by boss, I mean he looks like he's running the show in whatever level he's in, rather than being a literal boss at the end of a level. Favorite design so far, glad we're going to our roots in bot design again.

18. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    I really dig this Badnik. My second favorite with the Seal being first.

He resides in Global Warming Zone and he throws cherry ICEE's at you. :v:

19. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    He looks pretty large, I wonder if it's a mini-boss of sorts?

I'm hoping that there are mini-bosses in the 2nd or 3rd acts of each stage, it'd be a nice change of pace and a good homage to Sonic 3.

20. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    New Sonic related Game Music Video
    Wow, this actually looks more like a boss than a regular badnik! Awesome design for awesome polar bear badnik!
    I wonder what this Cubot-like thing does.. It definitely reminds me of Cubot.